Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the stock clutch
Clutch is great
26.75%
Clutch does great when i drive it properly.
47.75%
Clutch doesnt do so great, but i know its my fault
10.50%
Clutch is completely at fault. hate it.
15.00%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Our clutch verdict. Once and for all.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:46 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I got 25k miles on my stock clutch and it still works fine. I got stage 3 (since 19k) and it is still holding. I drive just over an hour on my way home from work 5 days a week. Its only like 25 miles away, but I get traffic every day. So I can say I have about 12k of bumper to bumper and 13k of highway milage. I don't feather it either. I launch normally, then progressively nail the gas. Feathering is what will kill your stock clutch.

I recently bought a stock clutch kit for reserve here on the .net forums. I got it for $250 shipped. So when the stock one goes out, I got my spare in the garage. Thats how much I liked the stock one. Others might opinion differently, but thats my opinion.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats a great deal man.
when the time comes ill probably go aftermarket, but if one was available at that price id buy it too
Old 11-09-2007, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dudes, check ebay....stock clutch AND FLYWHEEL is 100 bux I belive. I was tempted but I bought my spec clutch the first week of owning the car....

Also, our gearing plays a big roll as well. We have pretty long gears and when we go to shift at 6500 rpm to the next gear, the rpms drop A LOT (which means the clutch is going to have to slip a lot in order to fall down the couple thousands of rpms). They drop even more when people rais their rev limiters. On those 6 speeds that have close ratio gears like sti's, each gear has about a 1000-2000 rpm difference I bet you. Ours has like anywhere from 2500-3500

Last edited by memphisr24; 11-09-2007 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
that I will agree with.
but the point of the poll isnt to say whether there are better clutches.
we can all agree on that i think

My point is, people need to realise that what they do with their feet is causing the great majority of clutch problems.
not the clutch itself.

In my opinion. theres alot of carpenters blaming their tools on this forum sometimes.

Your point is well taken however I am not one to place judgement on how poeple drive unless I see all of the facts (determining component failures is a daily part of my job). IMO....you must adapt your driving style to the SS clutch system. Personally, I don't usually listen to the radio/stereo while driving in town. If I do the volume is set very low. I prefer to listen to the rpms and exhaust. I shift by listening during normal driving. On the hiway, I will turn the radio on and turn up the volume. If I'm going to outrun another vehicle I normally watch the tach and listen to the R's, which in most cases I hit the mute button.
There may be some people on here that blame the part for the accoutability instead of the driver accoutability but in most cases I believe it is a combination of the two. The clutch itself could have had something other than organic material for the friction surface. Organic material should have gone away in the early 90's as it did with the trucking industry (light and heavy duty).
Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 PM

I agree theres a small percentage who have genuine clutch issues.

but all you have to do is look at the words people use, their past post history.
you can pretty easily see whether its a clutch problem, or driving.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im going by my old SS/SC clutch and i voted it was great and it had 30k+ miles on it and no slip...but the SS/SC i have now has a Spec stage 3 clutch and its great BTW to
Old 11-09-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2fastSS
I mean the clutch is fine, and it does fine for driving daily... But anything that exceeds the stock power its not meant for... It holds sometimes and it might hold better for some people but i promise you the damn thing isnt meant for it and it isnt a good clutch for the power stage 2 or whatever kit you have to put it to the ground.... **** my clutch was slipping before i even got stage 2, this was when i had an intake and exhaust and i never realized what it was....

I wanted to see what my car could do against my buddies stage 2.... I took him off the line considering i have lsd took him by like 2-3 cars from the start went to go to second and BAM high rev till it calmed down idled back to normal and i could go back into gear... Thats how bad it has been for me... Also it locks me out of third sometimes i mean it is what it is... And if i would keep the car i would buy a new clutch

I also blame your lack of skill on the clutch slippage. Just by this comment here shows your lack of knowledge... LSD DOES NOT HELP IN STRAIGHT LINES! Its only benefit is when your corning in which case it transfers power from the wheel that's spinning to the other one eliminating that dreadful tire spin when corning.

I will give you the benifit of the doubt though in that there have been issues with the clutch, but I would say as a whole it is great for the car as stock plus stage 2 and simple bolt ons. Anything past that I would say upgrade.

Originally Posted by phatnackySS
so i wonder ...how many people got there car new...and how many people actuly broke there car in befor beating on it
x2 very good point

Last edited by bigrroberto; 11-09-2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-09-2007, 10:35 PM

I don't have one to pick, my stock clutch was great until the DRs went on at the track. It never slipped at all on the street. When I got the DRs is was good for a few runs but soon after when shifting to 2nd it started slipping. And then since it happened so much, it started doing it on the street. Then I put in the Exedy and it all good now.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:42 PM

the clutch in the ss/sc has its ups and downs..but the clutch in the 2.4 is terrible..anyone who mods a 2.4 will agree with me on that one
Old 11-09-2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by bigrroberto
I also blame your lack of skill on the clutch slippage. Just by this comment here shows your lack of knowledge... LSD DOES NOT HELP IN STRAIGHT LINES! Its only benefit is when your corning in which case it transfers power from the wheel that's spinning to the other one eliminating that dreadful tire spin when corning.

I will give you the benifit of the doubt though in that there have been issues with the clutch, but I would say as a whole it is great for the car as stock plus stage 2 and simple bolt ons. Anything past that I would say upgrade.

x2 very good point
So this is coming from a guy who has probably owned only one ss/sc?? Dude your quite wrong on that statement about lsd no **** lsd distributes the power to the other wheel to compensate for loss of the other wheel but i have owned two ss's 1 without lsd and 1 with.... The 1 with you can tell just by driving it how much different it is in straight line... This debate has gone on for numerous threads months and months ago and people still will argue on this... Take two drivers one with and one without and you will notice how much of a difference it makes in a straight line simple as that
Old 11-09-2007, 11:25 PM

and yet no one can prove it.
if its so helpful, why can guys with no LSD cut identical 60fters as guys with it.

if it was truely helpful, there would be a difference in 60ft times between the 2 trannys.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:35 PM

The cobalt just sucks when it comes to launching lol
Old 11-09-2007, 11:35 PM

idk man im not talking about track times im talking bout on the street.... Ive raced none g85 cobalts as many as close to 10 and i have blown them all out from a dig thats a difference there dont u think??

and if it doesnt make a difference o well the car drives alot better than a non g85 cobalt...as i used to have a black one
Old 11-09-2007, 11:37 PM

track times is proof,

the fact that you outlaunched a couple guys on the street says nothing other than you outlaunched them.

I think the hundreds of 60ft times that have been done in cobalts is pretty good proof that the LSD doesnt do jack **** on the 1/4 mile.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:42 PM

either way... who the **** cares haha this is about a damn clutch
Old 11-10-2007, 12:23 AM

ya i dont have lsd and ive launched 2.1 60ft on stock tires.... lsd doesnt do much unless your spinning which then it might transfer some power.... wont make a noticable difference if you can drive lol
Old 11-10-2007, 12:25 AM

id like some 2.4L/2.2L cobalts input on our clutch..i think its terrible..
Old 11-10-2007, 01:08 AM

I hated the clutch at first. And just last month it started to slip. BUT! I found out how to properly drive this car and now all is good. The clutch no longer slips and the car will rip the tires loose going into 2nd again. I think this clutch is great once you figure out how to use it!
Old 11-10-2007, 01:08 AM

My clutch hooks up great, unfortunately my tires do not... they do nothing but smoke..... But the clutch does take some time to get use to. My 1993 Ford Probe has a brand new clutch in it, and its nothin like the cobalt, u can just drop the clutch and go, not sensitve at all, no shaking if u dont get it just right...
Old 11-10-2007, 01:15 AM

clutch is fine to a point, anyone who says otherwise can't drive.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:19 AM

no compalints about the clutch. I have drov a stick for 5 years though. i can see where a noob stick driver would fry the clutch in this car, it is a wierd clutch.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:32 AM

I thought the stock clutch was great . I never had any slipping issues with mine , unless I got it too hot at the track . As far as the sensitive herky jerkyness , poly trans mounts in place of the worthless stock ones go a long way . The engagement point of mine was high up on the pedal , which I loved . Ive cut as qwik as 2.0 60's on the stock clutch and radials . Took it out @ 32K miles , as it was just starting to get more sensitive to slipping at the track when it got hot , it was still perfectly fine in 98% of the driving conditions . Unfortunately , I bought a 1st gen Spec 2+ .
Old 11-10-2007, 02:29 AM

Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
i love the clutch, its grabby but very controllable. i find it feels simular to an rsx.

as a transmission tech, i see a lot of burnt up clutches in very low mialage cars. anytime our shop has a car like that when the customer picks the car up we go for a drive with them. most of the time its something like riding the clutch, reving the motor up way to high and slipping the clutch out, or driving with their foot resting on the clutch. most of the time when we give them pointers, they are well received, but i find its the younger drivers and old stubborn people that wont listen (or the old guys telling me they have been driving standards longer than ive been alive so dont tell them how to drive).

basicly, you have to adapt your driving to the car or you will burn the clutch in no time, and that goes for any vehicle
Old 11-10-2007, 02:39 AM
Banned

out of all honesty..ive been driving stick since 12....yes 12,im 21 now, i had no lisence or anything,but learned to drive at that age..and been drivin stick since then...i got the s2 installed and clutch was fine..no slipping,no wear,no nothing...kept doin its job since the day i bout the car...after 17k and 20+ runs at the track,it started slippin just 1st-2nd shift..nothing else...so i still kept drivin how i drove since i got the car...now its slippin 2nd-3rd,and thats when i noticed its not the drivers fault..its just that a stock clutch can hold so much abuse...im not sayin i beat on it ever time i leave my garage...my beatings on the car are mostly highway...60mph+,and downshifts and traffic i get stuck in comin from work,and like i always tell ppl...NOT TWO CARS ARE ALIKE/SAME

Last edited by Super_SS; 11-10-2007 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:57 AM

i picked the second one

Quick Reply: Our clutch verdict. Once and for all.