Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the stock clutch
Clutch is great
26.75%
Clutch does great when i drive it properly.
47.75%
Clutch doesnt do so great, but i know its my fault
10.50%
Clutch is completely at fault. hate it.
15.00%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Our clutch verdict. Once and for all.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
more like he is the **** and knows how to drive cause his clutch never slips.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no thats not what im saying. and feel free to check your attitude please.

im saying that the people who arent having clutch problems learned to adapt to how the car needs to be driven. its a very unforgiving clutch we all know that. but if you realise that your car is only doing what you tell it to do, you CAN drive it with plenty of hp/tq with no slip problems at all.

theres probably a percentage who have true clutch issues i know that.
but IMO the majority of the burnt clutches, its just driver error.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok well that gives it more justice...I rarely ever beat on my car but when i do wanna launch it im affraid all its going to do is slip... And it doesnt slip early it slips in the high rpms
Old 11-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by an0malous
no thats not what im saying. and feel free to check your attitude please.

im saying that the people who arent having clutch problems learned to adapt to how the car needs to be driven. its a very unforgiving clutch we all know that. but if you realise that your car is only doing what you tell it to do, you CAN drive it with plenty of hp/tq with no slip problems at all.

theres probably a percentage who have true clutch issues i know that.
but IMO the majority of the burnt clutches, its just driver error.
Ok point taken. so with my description of my problem are you saying my clutch sucks ass or are you saying I am at fault for my problems then?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:58 PM

its impossible for me to say with that little information.
i havent seen how youve driven for the life of your car,
who knows, maybe you are, or maybe you truely got a bad clutch from the factory.

By making the clutch slip video, and now this poll, im merely trying to point out to people....that
instead of automatically blaming the part, maybe one should look to their own driving habits to see if thats a possible cause.
There have been plenty of people who have PMed me saying i saved their clutch from watching that video.

So im sorry if ive pissed some of you off, but if it helps people to learn, and maybe make some adjustments, then ill take the heat from the pissed off people.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:59 PM

Mine has 12,300 miles on it... with the later half of it being 240-260 hp... no slippage at all from mine!

If you know how to drive it... it will last just fine! PERIOD!
Old 11-10-2007, 01:02 PM

ok well let me see the video and ill tell u honestly if im doing something wrong??
Old 11-10-2007, 01:04 PM

^Its in the how-to section.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:08 PM

checked the how to section link doesnt work for me
Old 11-10-2007, 01:09 PM

I wouldn't say that the clutch is great...It's good, but not great!
Old 11-10-2007, 01:09 PM

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Clutchslip.flv
Old 11-10-2007, 01:30 PM

lol uhhhh
Old 11-10-2007, 01:41 PM

mine seems to work just fine when it cold out side
Old 11-10-2007, 03:56 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Darksun
hmmmm so your clutch was crispy done and whos fault would that be? You glazed the **** out of it like i said and you just proved that point.

Learn how to drive the car. Since all cars drive differently you shouldn't have tried to drive it like all you other cars straight outta the box. I can't believe you want us to think the clutch burned itself. Common bro...........
Like I said, even GM seemed to think it was a faulty clutch. You can't try and make me believe that 3 nissans, and countless other older ragged out cars can be dogged to death and never have a clutch problem and a brand new car can't be driven aggressively without slipping. Trust me when I say the Cobalt has never seen the abuse I've dished up to my other cars. Now I understand you think your God and you think you know everything but give me a break.

GM recommended I get a performance clutch. They themselves told my service manager that the stock clutch isn't that great. I had a choice, get a new factory clutch completely free, and that be then end of it no more warranty on it or buy a performance clutch and get it installed free by them. I obviously chose the performance clutch. I broke the Spec clutch in for 800 miles. I have been driving it hard for 20K and have no problems. I haven't changed the way I drive the car. I changed the clutch. So that tells me the stocker was trash.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by OzzyruleZ
Like I said, even GM seemed to think it was a faulty clutch. You can't try and make me believe that 3 nissans, and countless other older ragged out cars can be dogged to death and never have a clutch problem and a brand new car can't be driven aggressively without slipping. Trust me when I say the Cobalt has never seen the abuse I've dished up to my other cars. Now I understand you think your God and you think you know everything but give me a break.

GM recommended I get a performance clutch. They themselves told my service manager that the stock clutch isn't that great. I had a choice, get a new factory clutch completely free, and that be then end of it no more warranty on it or buy a performance clutch and get it installed free by them. I obviously chose the performance clutch. I broke the Spec clutch in for 800 miles. I have been driving it hard for 20K and have no problems. I haven't changed the way I drive the car. I changed the clutch. So that tells me the stocker was trash.
Well maybe you got a bad stocker? i'll say fine to that. No sense arguing over it not like your lying that you clutch is slipping. That cool?

Originally Posted by ssnipes
more like he is the **** and knows how to drive cause his clutch never slips.
I would say thats me but mine slips once i put a good number of dig races on it within a certain time limit.

Last edited by Darksun; 11-10-2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-10-2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ProjektCobalt
the clutch in the ss/sc has its ups and downs..but the clutch in the 2.4 is terrible..anyone who mods a 2.4 will agree with me on that one
2.4 stock clutch sucks.. granted I learned on the car but i rarely beat it hard... and randomly i'll shift and it just slips like a bitch... my car is totally stock... i had a friend in the car the other day and he was yelling at me to take my foot off the clutch.. and it wasn't on it

now i'm not saying i'm the greatest driver by any means.. but i had an issue with the clutch not engaging so i would have the pedal smashed to the ground and i would grind the **** out of it.. now it's the opposite problem.. it's not bad on the whole but common stock car with 27K on it should not have major clutch issues.. i'm bringing it into the dealer, if they tell me it's not covered (which they will) time for a hyper single.. anyone have some links to good clutches for the 2.4?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Banned

too easy to make jerky shifts, especially in colder weather
Old 11-11-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by jsscooby
too easy to make jerky shifts, especially in colder weather
yea in the cold you have to be extra careful to make it not so jerky. but once you drive it for a few minutes it gets a lot better.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Banned

THis is the only clutch that has slipped for me in a car period....

Originally Posted by an0malous
its impossible for me to say with that little information.
i havent seen how youve driven for the life of your car,
who knows, maybe you are, or maybe you truely got a bad clutch from the factory.

By making the clutch slip video, and now this poll, im merely trying to point out to people....that
instead of automatically blaming the part, maybe one should look to their own driving habits to see if thats a possible cause.
There have been plenty of people who have PMed me saying i saved their clutch from watching that video.

So im sorry if ive pissed some of you off, but if it helps people to learn, and maybe make some adjustments, then ill take the heat from the pissed off people.
Well I know it is not my long term driving habits. the clutch holds for the street now and only slipped once at the track for me. and it slipped at 3000 KMS. I took it easy on it till 15000K. that is a long time to wait to get on it again dont you think. do actually it could have lasted till 45000K and over 2 years later with track use as well? it slipped once and it was with 60lbs injectors, 2.6", tires pressured down. I know I worked the car hard but this is what the car was meant for. it is a sport compact and I expect it should with stand increased HP, but mine did not. not everyone gets 13.9 with GMS2 only. I never dump the clutch at a light or feather it like others have explained as there launching technique. clutch is always engaged fully prior to getting on the gas. I dont have transmission issues. I have never napped an axle. I avoid wheel hop. I have launched as low as 1.7 60ft and consistant at low 2.2.

Your seemed to be so scared to admit your wrong in most cases that maybe these other poeple could actually out drive you and still have problems with a clutch.

rather your immature in your ways to critisize all who have a clutch problem. makes me laugh.

Edit - K I said what I said above. Start off by kooling my jets say I am frustrated in communicating with you guys. I saw your video. I guess if you never had a problem with your clutch I can see how you might think that this is how people are screwing there clutch. But I dont shift that way. I have told you my habits and I have to tell that is why I am getting pissed a little. your either are not believing me or not reading when I say that I make complete shifts, and my slip problems happen in higher RPM when the torque comes on really hard at 4000 to 4500 RPM and it is second gear. you also have to understand the history with my car. 45,000K on it and it holds on the street. just not at the track. when the power is on and the tires cant slip the clutch does. if I had LSD the problem would be worse. maybe that is why you havent experienced it. Do you rev the car and dump the clutch at the start? I sure dont and I dont think you do.
Originally Posted by Darksun
Well maybe you got a bad stocker? i'll say fine to that. No sense arguing over it not like your lying that you clutch is slipping. That cool?

I would say thats me but mine slips once i put a good number of dig races on it within a certain time limit.
Well then I guess were almost even. mine slipped almost consistantly at 3000 K as already explained. figured it was due to test drivers prior to me getting my car with 800K on it. Figured dealer would do something for me and no. they wouldnt.

then it slipped at the track at about 40000K I have 45000K and it holds on the street. guess perhaps my standard of a good clutch and opinion of how good a clutch should be is different from others. Hell I know people who dont know how to drive who cant figure out what a slipping clutch is never mind recognize that their own clutch is slipping. (I can find posts of that).

GUess since you cant tell from what I am saying and my story of my experiences that you dont know enough about clutch and how it would last in the hands of someone who is a bad driver with his clutch. Mine would be toast now. but it is not.

Originally Posted by OzzyruleZ

Amen, brother.

**** I saw that and it made me laugh. anyone who cant figure that out do not have driving skill period and cant learn on there own. that is likely cause they dont understand how the car works. now sayin that there is some people like this.

Again mine sliped after shifting to second rpms dropped from 5,000PRM in first and was at 3,000. it is clear that it is doing well up to 4500 rpm and then it slips. I have to let off to allow it to catch. instead of a low 14 or a high 13 second run I did 14.5.

TOTALLY NOT HOW I DRIVE MY CAR> and I have explained that.

Originally Posted by Super_SS
out of all honesty..ive been driving stick since 12....yes 12,im 21 now, i had no lisence or anything,but learned to drive at that age..and been drivin stick since then...i got the s2 installed and clutch was fine..no slipping,no wear,no nothing...kept doin its job since the day i bout the car...after 17k and 20+ runs at the track,it started slippin just 1st-2nd shift..nothing else...so i still kept drivin how i drove since i got the car...now its slippin 2nd-3rd,and thats when i noticed its not the drivers fault..its just that a stock clutch can hold so much abuse...im not sayin i beat on it ever time i leave my garage...my beatings on the car are mostly highway...60mph+,and downshifts and traffic i get stuck in comin from work,and like i always tell ppl...NOT TWO CARS ARE ALIKE/SAME
I believe you. I drove a bike at 6 drove 5ton trucks at 11, tractors also, verstatile 855, CASE 2077 with front wheel assist and a rear locker (Factory guys) the farm equipment I have driven at a very young age I was trusted with my abilities and it was worth $100,000 to $300,000 depending on the piece. and that was back in the 80's. I have been driving a very long time. I have used 4x4 rock climbing with a clutch. raced motorcross and was very successful at it too. I worked in bike shops, apprenticed as a mechanic. I know what I am doing but I am open to the fact that even thought I am pretty good at what I do there can be better. I have the fastest cobalt in Manitoba and that is with GMS2.

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
I thought the stock clutch was great . I never had any slipping issues with mine , unless I got it too hot at the track . As far as the sensitive herky jerkyness , poly trans mounts in place of the worthless stock ones go a long way . The engagement point of mine was high up on the pedal , which I loved . Ive cut as qwik as 2.0 60's on the stock clutch and radials . Took it out @ 32K miles , as it was just starting to get more sensitive to slipping at the track when it got hot , it was still perfectly fine in 98% of the driving conditions . Unfortunately , I bought a 1st gen Spec 2+ .
you see here is a clutch that failed due to the person ability to go fast push the limit to get good times and the clutch was not up to his personal standard to perform. he got a new clutch. not a complete failure.

Originally Posted by Herndon_High_SS
I know for sure if I don't drive it properly it will let me know. It's sensitive but does not mean it's a bad clutch. In my opinion the stock clutch is awesome. Yea it slips when you shift to second but only because your spinning your tires all the way in first.
That is abuse and bad driving. I have never done that to my clutch. BUt let me tell you a great clutch would be able to handle some of that the odd time and grab completely and hold. the pressure plate is the part at fault. not enough clamping force.

Last edited by Asphalt Assault; 11-11-2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-12-2007, 10:28 AM

when my clutch slips its my falt. sometimes i get excited and just dump the clutch. thus driver error.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:59 PM

I've drivin a 350Z, Corvette, and a Viper which all have heavy clutches and i must say...that while the cobalt's clutch isnt race ready..i does a fair job at holding the abuse and power that some people put through them. People that complain about too much slip...are driving the car...not wrong but not how the car was designed to be driven. So dont get mad when cobalts dont drive like racecars...because they are far from one.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Mine holds 300 hp on the street just fine, but I don't powershift or launch the car. I have only recently had a problem at the track, and only when trying to get good times out of it. If I try to launch the car hard, like faster than a 2.1 60 ft, then it gets hot and won't hold on the 1-2 shift. Thats on 235/40 KDWs, and with about 40K miles on the stock clutch.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:33 PM

I have 28,000 miles on the stock clutch and it still feels very good! As for modified people, I can't speak for them. The clutch is rock solid when the car is stock and if you can drive!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:48 PM

mine is fine, i know when it slips or my fault doesnt slip too often though
Old 11-12-2007, 09:43 PM

Coming from owning a 5.0 mustang with a heavy duty clutch...this clutch is shitty. It is way way way to soft. I went from driving my mustang back to my cobalt, and my cobalts clutch felt like i was sitting my foot on a blanket. It needs to be more heavy duty

Quick Reply: Our clutch verdict. Once and for all.