Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the stock clutch
Clutch is great
26.75%
Clutch does great when i drive it properly.
47.75%
Clutch doesnt do so great, but i know its my fault
10.50%
Clutch is completely at fault. hate it.
15.00%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Our clutch verdict. Once and for all.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LE5CAV
32k On My Sc And The Clutch Was Slipping Every Time I Hit Boost, I Just Got Done Replacing The Clutch This Morning, The Problem I Had Was Not The Clutch Disc, But The Presure Plate Was Junk, When I Removed It It Had No Unsprung Force What So Ever, The Presure Plate Was Heavily Glazed And Clutch Side Of The Plate Was Gone, The Flywheel Side Looked Brand New. My Car Is An 05" But The Clutch Disc And Presure Plate Have Been Revised For 07' And 05-06 Supersedes To 07 Parts, So Gm Does Recognize There Is A Problem, Just Not Publicly
they also said the 08 tc clutch is updated. good post.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Asphalt Assault
your funny. you can tell that. and the clutch should be strong enough anyway to handle that. but my point is that you actually cant tell that is is slipping due the foot work in the car.

mine didnt slip like that anyway. it was a solid into second. good from 3000 rpm to 4500 with no slip then it stated to slip so much I had to lift. some clutchs just suck doubter.
you talk about it like its not possible or something.
its quite easy to tell exactly what his feet are doing by the audio of the video.

look at the numbers. over 85% of people polled so far say im not the one who should be called "doubter"
Old 12-07-2007, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe for a normal and mostly spirited type of driving it handles itself fine. But you cant say anything bad about a clutch that wasnt designed to handle dragging. It's just a sensitive clutch.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by an0malous
you talk about it like its not possible or something.
its quite easy to tell exactly what his feet are doing by the audio of the video.

look at the numbers. over 85% of people polled so far say im not the one who should be called "doubter"
Misconception. your a doubter cause your not listening. Drive my car. I wish I could have you in my car. let you drive it for a day. on the street you would be like "yeah just what I thought, all driver error no problem for me" then you would get to the strip and you would be like "oh, that is what your talking about" but likely you would still blame me until we took your car apart and my car apart to compare parts. then and only then would the light bulb really come on cause you would see how our clutch pressure plates are different.

Originally Posted by Herndon_High_SS
I believe for a normal and mostly spirited type of driving it handles itself fine. But you cant say anything bad about a clutch that wasnt designed to handle dragging. It's just a sensitive clutch.
I have said that all along. my is good for street. at a drag strip and your in the groove and the tires wont slip the clutch will..... on my car that is and obviously a few others. just like not every car goes into limp mode. When I first read that info I was like wow their cars are screwed. how could that happen. then it happened to me and I was a believer. then I started to take everything with a more open matter to all possibilities.

wish some of you could....
Old 12-10-2007, 07:54 PM

I think it is a perfectly fine clutch. They only time mine slipped was when I first got the car and wasn't used to it. And that was my fault. But since then my clutch has given me absolutely no problems what so ever. And I am at 41K miles, and going on 2 years with the car.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Banned

bottom line I had GM admit to a clutch issue and they said clutch was addressed for the '08 SS. this is not saying every clutch is bad on the SS SC and there has been updates to that set up as well. I know of a few two '05's here. were the ones with problems. the '06 clutch on the other hand has not been too much of a problem at the track here. I have read posts of those having clutch problems and who have changed it out for aftermarket were delighted with the difference in performance. If I were keeping the car it would out.

Originally Posted by G85 SS
I think it is a perfectly fine clutch. They only time mine slipped was when I first got the car and wasn't used to it. And that was my fault. But since then my clutch has given me absolutely no problems what so ever. And I am at 41K miles, and going on 2 years with the car.
and so am I. I have 45K and the only reason it still works well is cause I do know how to drive, recognized the problem early on, and did not kill it. it still works good for street. strip I am weary about it. It will make it till I turn it in at 80K or hopefully sooner to take delivery of an '08

Last edited by Asphalt Assault; 12-10-2007 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-10-2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Asphalt Assault
bottom line I had GM admit to a clutch issue and they said clutch was addressed for the '08 SS. this is not saying every clutch is bad on the SS SC and there has been updates to that set up as well. I know of a few two '05's here. were the ones with problems. the '06 clutch on the other hand has not been too much of a problem at the track here. I have read posts of those having clutch problems and who have changed it out for aftermarket were delighted with the difference in performance. If I were keeping the car it would out.

and so am I. I have 45K and the only reason it still works well is cause I do know how to drive, recognized the problem early on, and did not kill it. it still works good for street. strip I am weary about it. It will make it till I turn it in at 80K or hopefully sooner to take delivery of an '08
Thats my hopes. I will be trading mine in when the warranty is gone at 75K. I had a car with no warranty and lemme tell you...IT SUCKS. I could not get a break with problems and it was more expensive than financing a new car. So, when my warranty is gone so is this car and the new SS/TC will be sitting in the driveway.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:20 PM

well there really isnt an option for me. when i drive my car properly and economically it doesnt do so well. but when i beat the **** out of my car it works awsome.

maybe im jus not so great at manual when not beatin it =[
Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 PM

The clutch is fine in terms of full throttle shifts, no slipping here. However, it is much too touchy around town, and I find myself having to focus off the line (especially if she is cold). Ive driven a stick many years and find it difficult during my day to day commute.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by watersedge1234
The clutch is fine in terms of full throttle shifts, no slipping here. However, it is much too touchy around town, and I find myself having to focus off the line (especially if she is cold). Ive driven a stick many years and find it difficult during my day to day commute.
yeah it takes some getting used to but believe me there is actually worse. ever drive a Fiero 2M4 (2 seater, Midengine, 4cyl) that was a difficult clutch. but guess what. It never slipped, not once. ever. now that car got totally abused especially the clutch. dumping the clutch, coming into a corner so hot that you down shift and let out the clutch and the turn the back end would whip around as if you put on the park brake. fun car, gutless that is for sure, still was a fun car.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:01 AM

when i first got mine i had only been drivin stick for about a week when i decided to race a GTI. Needless to say I beat him from every roll we did but off the line i slipped the **** out of my clutch thinking i was doing a burnout and ever since then its releases a little bit higher but never ever slips so yea cool haha
Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by srowler9
I just bought an 07 ss/sc and the clutch has never slipped. Ever since I bought it, every time i push the clutch in, it makes a clicking noise. I have driven stick cars my whole life and have never had this. Is this noise normal.
its normal, there is a button under the dash that your clutch pedal hits every time its pressed
Old 12-21-2007, 02:42 AM

almost 30k miles cars has been malested raped , 5 people have been taught how to drive on it and its ok for me.... aNomolous is right learn to drive your vehicles and things will be ok take it to 3k rpm before you shift the clutch wont get glazed over and hey what do you know, no slipping
Old 12-21-2007, 02:54 AM

i hated my stock piece, but i beat the **** outta it.

i was makeing 270whp when people where still shitting there pants over GM kits.....

at 16k she was gone. i drove it for a while on the week clutch, then put my spec 3+ in, haven't had an issue since.

the piece is fine and dandy when used like it was designed for.

i do wish we would have gotten a better piece from the factory tho.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:56 AM

hahahaha ^
Old 12-24-2007, 02:28 PM

when i first got my car it took some gettin used to but nothing that i didnt adjust to.. i have drove stick cars b4 this one and let me just say this.. our clutch is so darn picky ... once you get the hang everything should be fine
Old 12-25-2007, 03:29 PM

i would say that there is nothing wrong with the stock clutch i have 40 000 mile of hard driving on my car over 100 passes at the track and lots of street racing 3 sets of tires
and not a single problem with the clutch yet
i know at least 5 people that burned theres in the first 5000 miles they just dont know how to drive

people need to down shift when slowwing your clutch will last so much longer
Old 12-26-2007, 05:39 AM

The stock clutch seems to have Zero room for error.....and it heat soaks like a ****
Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 PM

I still have issues with it from time to time under normal conditions. Still grabs like it should when I "beat on it." If it gets any worse I'm having it replaced under warranty. My first clutch job in awhile...lol