Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Pics of my Exedy clutch after 10 000

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics of my Exedy clutch after 10 000

So I got the transmission dropped out of the car today. Took about 2 1/2 hours to get it out on the floor. Done it a few times now
For those of you that don't know I had some troubles after going to the track last weekend. After the first run, the car started slipping in 3rd gear and the engaugement point on the pedal was different after every run. I was running on drag radials.

The clutch has 10,000km on it at the most. I installed it last July and don't drive the car in the winter. I'm not saying the clutch was junk, I had problems when I first put it in with the slave and it leaked in the bell housing. I didn't think any got on the disc but it may have.

Hope a new disc will fix things up

Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 PM

that doesnt look very nice at all, does it?

Good luck, we wanna see some 12's outta that bad boy!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:08 PM

Nope, no good at all lol
Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
the pressure plate and flywheel look about normal for a sintered iron face clutch. when you have metal on metal, something has to show heat. the disk looks a bit thin, however i dont know how thick they are to start with. the disk also looks glazed

did you measure the thickness of the disk before you put it in??? if so, measure the thickness now. if there isnt that much taken off the disk, id use some 80 grit paper on the disk to break the glaze, machine the flywheel and use some scotch brite pads (red) to break the glaze on the pressure plate. ive done this before with sintered iron disks and it has always made the clutch grab like new.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:42 PM

I have to change the disc for sure. It's worn very thin and glazed like you said. The flywheel is perfect, just needs cleaning. You can't feel any groves in it. The pressure plate I can feel small grooves. Can I get the pressure plate machined? Or what is the acceptable tolerance of a pressure plate surface?
Old 05-17-2008, 09:44 PM

Is this typical out of those clutches?! I thought those were supposed to be tough...
Old 05-17-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by SS07
Is this typical out of those clutches?! I thought those were supposed to be tough...
I think they are tough. Like I said, I'm pretty such brake fluid may have got on the disc when I had the salve go bad. Not sure
Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need to side step the clutch to launch but ify ou cant because of wheel hop , wel the clutch suffers. Sharkey gave you good advice, or buy new parts and dont slip it ...once launched the clutch should be a switch...brake fluid and oil dont help...
Old 05-17-2008, 10:35 PM

I don't slip the clutch very much at all. Brake fluid did it's damage me thinks.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
need to side step the clutch to launch ... because of wheel hop ,well the clutch suffers. Sharkey gave you good advice, or buy new parts and dont slip it
Looks like it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Slip it to get a good launch and to avoid wheel hop, and you fry the clutch.

Don't slip it and Bang! Bang! Bang!

What's a guy to do ...
Old 05-18-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by firemanfrank
Looks like it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Slip it to get a good launch and to avoid wheel hop, and you fry the clutch.

Don't slip it and Bang! Bang! Bang!

What's a guy to do ...
It's all about finding the median where the clutch is happy and the car doesn't hop and skip it's way down the track.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
It's all about finding the median where the clutch is happy and the car doesn't hop and skip it's way down the track.
hmmm ...
Old 05-18-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to see the damage dave.
but at least you know where the issue is now, and you can get her goin again.

when you get it together, bring her down to E-town and get some good times out of that monster
Old 05-18-2008, 09:46 PM

Gotta pay to play right?

I'm just glad I found something wrong when I took it apart. I was thinking I'd get it apart and find nothing unusual.

E-town sometime this summer. I just don't want to break anything there. Long tow home lol
Old 05-18-2008, 10:16 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by an0malous
sorry to see the damage dave.
but at least you know where the issue is now, and you can get her goin again.

when you get it together, bring her down to E-town and get some good times out of that monster
Holy **** man where have you been?! I missed reading your intelligent and mature posts.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:20 PM

i wish i knew what the hell i was looking at. WHen i had my clutched replaced, i acted like i knew what the hell he was talkin about.. hahaha...pressure this and sintered plate that... i dunno.... i just drive the damn thing
Old 05-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Doc

Originally Posted by devon9832
i wish i knew what the hell i was looking at. WHen i had my clutched replaced, i acted like i knew what the hell he was talkin about.. hahaha...pressure this and sintered plate that... i dunno.... i just drive the damn thing
Old 05-19-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
Holy **** man where have you been?! I missed reading your intelligent and mature posts.
Shhhh.

"Let sleeping dogs lie ...."
Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 AM

So I showed a couple mechanics the pressure plate and they said it fucked. They said it is heat checked too badly. Anyone one have advice on that?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your only going to hear the answer you dont wanna hear dave

time to get out your wallet
Old 05-20-2008, 01:59 PM

Ya I know. Sucks
Old 05-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Ok I finally got to logon to the wireless to see the damage. Your clutch was slipping pretty bad as evident by the heat spots on the pressure plate and flywheel. Since 10000km isn't that much I'd have to say that either the clutch was slipped way too much, not broken in long enough to bite hard, or you unknowingly ride the clutch somehow. If you were having slave issues that could also very well have prematurely destoyed it too. Too many variables for me to tell without seeing exactly how the car is being driven in person. It does suck though either way. You may be able to have the flywheel resurfaced, take a DA and scuff the pressure plate, get a new disk a be good. I would send the pics to Exedy USA and see what they recommend though.

I know that mine still bites hard and I've put quite a few miles on it, along with it surviving my tranny failureas well and I got some fluid on the purple outside of the pressure plate. I guess I'll consider myself lucky.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
Ok I finally got to logon to the wireless to see the damage. Your clutch was slipping pretty bad as evident by the heat spots on the pressure plate and flywheel. Since 10000km isn't that much I'd have to say that either the clutch was slipped way too much, not broken in long enough to bite hard, or you unknowingly ride the clutch somehow. If you were having slave issues that could also very well have prematurely destoyed it too. Too many variables for me to tell without seeing exactly how the car is being driven in person. It does suck though either way. You may be able to have the flywheel resurfaced, take a DA and scuff the pressure plate, get a new disk a be good. I would send the pics to Exedy USA and see what they recommend though.

I know that mine still bites hard and I've put quite a few miles on it, along with it surviving my tranny failureas well and I got some fluid on the purple outside of the pressure plate. I guess I'll consider myself lucky.
Funny thing about Exedy is they were great at helping me by email before I got the transmission out. But since I emailed them the pics last Saturday I got no word back from them. I ordered a new clutch that is supose to handle more torque then this one. So I hope that's true. They guaranteed me that or they would upgrade me.

The flywheel is still pretty good, pressure plate feels a bit gouged but not bad at all. Just lots of heat spots. I'm going to maybe sell the flywheel to someone who wants it for pretty cheap. A disc can be had but it will take a couple months to get. Disc itself is $260.00

I don't slip the clutch too much when I drive. I've been driving manuals for years now. Not saying you're accusing me of it, just stating. It started slipping in 3rd gear at the track that day. I let it cool and then it was slipping in the burnout box. That was when I said, time to get the **** home
Old 05-23-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSS/SC
I think they are tough. Like I said, I'm pretty such brake fluid may have got on the disc when I had the salve go bad. Not sure
That would do it.

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?

x2...

Last edited by R&C_rallySS; 05-23-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-23-2008, 04:37 PM

I thought my salve was leaking this time but it wasn't. There was also no signs that it was wet in the past. I do remember having to wipe a bit of fluid off the outer side of the pressure plate though.

And this stuff never happened with the old SCed 2.6" woth meth. It's all the turbos fault lol

Quick Reply: Pics of my Exedy clutch after 10 000