Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

possible throwout bearing/slave issues ....please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible throwout bearing/slave issues ....please help

Ive had what sounds like gear rattle ( liek the synchro's rattling ? hard to explain ) when I decel in gear ..any gear . This happended from the day I put my Spec 2+ clutch in . I didnt have time to pull my trans back out , the mechanical operation of the clutch was flawless , I know 100% I didnt make any errors installing the clutch . I thought it possibly coulda been clutch chatter because I installed and Aluminum flywheel at the time I did the clutch . But , ultimately with input from friends that know better than me , the prob is in the clutch . I wrongly , just lived with the rattle since nothing seemed mechanically wrong . Fast forward ....35,xxx miles later , Im getting a grinding noise coming from the trans when the car is stopped and the clutch is NOT de-pressed . If I push the clutch in , all the way , the grinding noise goes away completely . Could the prob be my throwout/slave assembly going bad , or possibly could the clearence have been off from the get go with the Spec clutch ? I didnt have this rattling AT ALL with the stock clutch . I did not install new throwout/slave assembly when I did the clutch , my car only had 20K miles at the time .

Please help .
Old 05-10-2007, 10:23 PM
thc

that sounds exactly what happened to my tranny. my dad ripped it apart and i snapped my final drive pin in the diff in 2 spots,and chipped the ring gear on the mainshaft. i just got the car back together like 2 hours ago and it shifts really smooth cant beat on it till i break in the new clutch.
keep us updated im interested to hear what happened if u need a rebuild my dad will do it for a good price.

does the car make the noise when rolling but without a load on the tranny
Old 05-10-2007, 10:56 PM

It wouldnt be that with mine . It makes the noise when deceling in gear , and grinds when the car is stopped and the clutch isnt pushed in . If it was what your describing I would hear it when the car was moving , regardless if the clutch was in or out . Good luck with yours man
Old 05-11-2007, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this issue on my '98 Sunfire GT. It was exactly the same as you are describing where the sound only appears during deceleration and the lightest tap of the gas will stop the sound. I traded that car in before I could get it fixed. Every bit of research I did on it came back to one thing - the Spider gears.

Now, I'm not saying that's your problem for sure, but everything pointed to that on my SF GT with the Isuzu manual tranny.