Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

question of rpms and flywheel weight on stock 2.2ls's

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question of rpms and flywheel weight on stock 2.2ls's

hey guys,
i got a quick question. i searched, but no luck finding the info that i need. i got a 06 ls 2.2 5speed. the one thing that is pissing me off is this retard-proof transmission/drivetrain. for example, i sit in my car, parked, rev the engine to, say, 4000rpms, let go of the gas, and wait, it literaly takes so much time for the revs to get to idle i can get out of the car run to the back, listen to what my stock exhaust sounds like and walk back and sit down in the seat before it's at idle. being technically inclined, i figure it's the heavy flywheel thats the weaklink. but other things lead me to believe that it's not the flywheel alone. lets say that i'm doing 70mph on the highway, i let go of the gas and push the clutch and put it into neutral, the rpms slowly go down from 2700 to about 1700 and stay there no matter what i do, they only drop as i drop my speed and stop. another minut issue, which i really dont care about because i never do it, but still bugs me, is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to shift from 1st to 2nd while having your foot in the gas more than about 75% throttle. it really just blocks the gear out.

so please answer me this, are the problems i'm having due to software issues of the ecu and all that other stuff, or is it mechanical(lightweight flywheel will fix)?
thanks guys.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by artdowg
it is IMPOSSIBLE to shift from 1st to 2nd while having your foot in the gas more than about 75% throttle. it really just blocks the gear out.

so please answer me this, are the problems i'm having due to software issues of the ecu and all that other stuff, or is it mechanical(lightweight flywheel will fix)?
thanks guys.
Unless Gm changed the getrags design somehow without modifing the external case there are no "blocks" to prevent gear shift. However you shouldnt be shifting with you foot on the gas anyway. It has been said that the computer has some programing for emission purposes, however I think its just a case of heavy stock bottom end parts.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:20 AM

like i said, it is not something that i do all the time. but just to know what my car is capable of and what/how it runs, is my real concern.
so there is programming involved with the slow rpm issue?