Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Reducing poly mount vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:54 PM
OBZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reducing poly mount vibrations

Ok so last year I installed the 2 (front and rear) TTR poly transmission mounts on my 2.2. The vibrations were pretty bad.. But worth it for the benefits. However, when I helped my friend with an SS/SC install them on his car, the vibrations were significantly less.

I have also read that just installing one mount vs 2 causes more vibrations. I was also reading that filling the third trans mount can reduce the vibrations

Now my theory is, That his vibrations were less because of his ingalls torque damper.

So my question is, have any of you added a solid engine mount AFTER transmission mounts and noticed less vibrations?

Last edited by OBZ; 03-29-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by OBZ
Ok so last year I installed the 2 (front and rear) TTR poly mounts on my 2.2. The vibrations were pretty bad.. But worth it for the benefits. However, when I helped my friend with an SS/SC install them on his car, the vibrations were significantly less.

I have also read that just installing one mount vs 2 causes more vibrations. I was also reading that filling the third trans mount can reduce the vibrations

Now my theory is, That his vibrations were less because of his ingalls torque damper.

So my question is, have any of you added a solid engine mount AFTER transmission mounts and noticed less vibrations?
We will let others confirmed this, but yes by having all 3 (2 tranny and 1 engine) mounts you should have less vibs. We have had many customers come back to us and state this.

Reason why we think this is the case:

If you have a rigid (firm) tranny mounts, and a soft engine mount, the engine mount will still move and this extra movement will make the tranny bushings work harder, and also transfer more vibs.

By having all mounts (tranny and engine) it does not have this "extra" movement and vibs are less.

Many would think by having half the mounts would be less vibs (example tranny only) but it has been stated by having all mounts, vibs are less...

Hope this helps?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
having all 3 is way worse i had the ttr mount it was great but vibrated alot then i took it out and had almost no vibs then i got the rotated mounts and could barely tell that i had them adding the ttr motor mount will not get rid of vibs
Old 03-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bl4des
having all 3 is way worse i had the ttr mount it was great but vibrated alot then i took it out and had almost no vibs then i got the rotated mounts and could barely tell that i had them adding the ttr motor mount will not get rid of vibs
That is not what he is asking... He ONLY has the tranny bushings right now and if he adds the TTR or any other engine mount, the vibs will go down... It has been posted by many members, as most members get the Poly tranny bushings first.

Bl4des:
Did you ever have JUST the Poly tranny bushings, and then add the TTR mount after? Vibs will go down after the adding of an engine mount.

It will be less(not "none" but less) if you have all 3 VS just the Poly tranny bushings. The Poly tranny bushings cause the most vibs.

The rotated mounts are for the F35 trans "2.0L" not the 2.2L... (at least last time we checked)
Old 03-29-2009, 03:30 PM

i had all 3 in then i got rid of the ttr motor mount and the vibs went away
Old 03-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Former Vendor

i had all 3 in then i got rid of the ttr motor mount and the vibs went away
Again, did you ever have JUST the Poly tranny bushings? No engine mount (just the stock engine mount)...

Compared to:

All 3 mounts (upper and Poly tranny)

That is the question....

Vibs are less with all 3 compared to JUST the POLY tranny bushings...
Old 03-29-2009, 03:36 PM

ok i will say it again i had poly trans mounts and the engine mount i took out the engine mount out and put the stock one back in so i only had the poly mounts in and the vibs were less
Old 03-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Former Vendor

ok i will say it again i had poly trans mounts and the engine mount i took out the engine mount out and put the stock one back in so i only had the poly mounts in and the vibs were less
Okay, because in your first post you stated you put in the rotated mounts, which obviously will have less vibs, as it is a softer bushing... That is where it was not clear...

Which is odd, as like the OP stated, he has also read post where all 3 will be better than 2 poly tranny bushings...
Old 03-29-2009, 03:39 PM

sorry next time i will be more clear
Old 03-29-2009, 06:45 PM
OBZ

Hmm.. Thanks for all the responses guys! Keep them coming!

Also has anybody else filled there 3rd tranny mount like in this thread?
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/how-custom-filled-third-trans-mount-118833/

Bump for more responses!

BUMP! I love how no one on this forum reads posts unless there in the new posts!

Last edited by OBZ; 03-29-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-29-2009, 06:49 PM

I'm kinda guilty there! But I'm curious about this also.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:24 PM
OBZ

Alright! well help me bump this bish!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 PM

i have all 3 from TTR and after having em for a few thousand miles i dont really notice or care about the vibes lol. then again i have a loud ass sub so vibes might be hidden by that. but honestly there not that bad.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:26 PM

okay
Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM
OBZ

Originally Posted by ilovecars
i have all 3 from TTR and after having em for a few thousand miles i dont really notice or care about the vibes lol. then again i have a loud ass sub so vibes might be hidden by that. but honestly there not that bad.
In what order did you get the mounts, and how were the vibes with each?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ilovecars
Did you get all 3 at the same time?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by OBZ
In what order did you get the mounts, and how were the vibes with each?
Originally Posted by 2007victoryred
Did you get all 3 at the same time?
i put all 3 in at once well not really i put the engine and then 1 tranny. and drove home cuz we dident have time to finish the other one. but with just 2 it was pretty odd. it hopped still and felt not good. but once i put the 3rd one in it was fine no hop at all and then the vibes are bearable only time i really notice it is when in low revs in gear and starting. other than that its fine.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:40 PM

they only really vib if you are under 2 grand but if you are just driving you can barely tell you have them i should have said that before also
Old 03-29-2009, 08:07 PM

Anyone else?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:16 PM

Filling the drivers side mount makes a world of difference. I had poly mounts front & rear, w/ stock pass. side engine mount, and the vibes were ridiculous. I filled the driver's side engine mount w/ poly and it was a little better, but still annoying to me. I don't like backing out of my driveway or starting off from a light and feeling like my interior panels are gonna fall off. That's why I bought the new OTTP rotated mounts, and those definitely have less vibes than the polys, but I don't think they work as well at stopping wheel hop. So I guess if your ultimate goal is to not have hop, I would GUESS that having all 4 poly/solid mounts would be best, and if you don't want vibes, stay stock. But if you want the compromise of both worlds, the OTTP mounts are great.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by N8s07SS
Filling the drivers side mount makes a world of difference. I had poly mounts front & rear, w/ stock pass. side engine mount, and the vibes were ridiculous. I filled the driver's side engine mount w/ poly and it was a little better, but still annoying to me. I don't like backing out of my driveway or starting off from a light and feeling like my interior panels are gonna fall off. That's why I bought the new OTTP rotated mounts, and those definitely have less vibes than the polys, but I don't think they work as well at stopping wheel hop. So I guess if your ultimate goal is to not have hop, I would GUESS that having all 4 poly/solid mounts would be best, and if you don't want vibes, stay stock. But if you want the compromise of both worlds, the OTTP mounts are great.
Good info on mounts... Also the OTTP mounts are for the F35 tranny (2.0L engine). The OP has a 2.2L...
Old 03-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have the solid ttr mount on the tranny, and i have a stock one for the engine, the right mount i left alone, is a bitch to do anything with, and not much u can do with it anyway; so i added a solid ZZP mount to it and vibs went up, but the car felt stiffer, im looking into addint a TTR mount sometime in the future, as i ditch'd the ZZP so i can get the TTR one
Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Good info on mounts... Also the OTTP mounts are for the F35 tranny (2.0L engine). The OP has a 2.2L...
Oh, I didn't notice that. My bad. In that case I would suggest using a solid engine mount like yours, poly trans mounts, and then filling the "hidden" mount that no one seems to know about.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:32 AM

i think i can consider myself a mount expert. my credentials;

i started with the tranny mounts... i custom filled em with urethane construction adhesive (hardness equivalent to poly) and had MAJOR VIBES. oh and they cracked and sucked because I threw em back in too soon (3 days was too soon apparently!)

didn't wanna do that again, so i got the TTR poly tranny mounts. worked better than custom and had a LOT of vibes, but less than b4. I was happy since it helped wheelhop, and the vibes weren't too bad. i had to throw some foam under some interior panels to stop some rattles but nothing that took more than 2 hours to do, not a single rattle can be heard

still had a bit o wheel hop tho, so i got the poly upper engine mount. wheel hop was just barely there, almost gone, and vibes went DOWN... kinda. the vibe frequency shifts to about 1200rpms and gets softer, as opposed to around 1000rpms and a bit rougher. as the TTR rep states vibes did go down a bit, but they are still there just in a different way. you can say they went down. I can attest to that.

got bored one friday night and i filled in the 3rd tranny mount... again, VIBES WENT DOWN, and wheel hop is now gone. yay! i can smoke my Kumho Ecsta ASX without hopping! (g2 love treadwear warranties heheheh)

If i could do it all over, i'd get the rotated tranny mounts, solid upper engine mount, and custom fill the 3rd with silicone. more solid than stock on all mounts, plus the rotated helps with axle alignment.

oh yea, i just noticed too, a 2.2... not sure how the mounts are different than mine (LSJ) soooo, if what i said applies to your situation, good if not well, at least do one more mount. both tranny mounts without the '3rd mount' OR engine mount = major vibes without much accomplished.

Last edited by SprChrg4Life; 04-03-2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-03-2009, 11:22 AM
OBZ

Originally Posted by SprChrg4Life
i think i can consider myself a mount expert. my credentials;

i started with the tranny mounts... i custom filled em with urethane construction adhesive (hardness equivalent to poly) and had MAJOR VIBES. oh and they cracked and sucked because I threw em back in too soon (3 days was too soon apparently!)

didn't wanna do that again, so i got the TTR poly tranny mounts. worked better than custom and had a LOT of vibes, but less than b4. I was happy since it helped wheelhop, and the vibes weren't too bad. i had to throw some foam under some interior panels to stop some rattles but nothing that took more than 2 hours to do, not a single rattle can be heard

still had a bit o wheel hop tho, so i got the poly upper engine mount. wheel hop was just barely there, almost gone, and vibes went DOWN... kinda. the vibe frequency shifts to about 1200rpms and gets softer, as opposed to around 1000rpms and a bit rougher. as the TTR rep states vibes did go down a bit, but they are still there just in a different way. you can say they went down. I can attest to that.

got bored one friday night and i filled in the 3rd tranny mount... again, VIBES WENT DOWN, and wheel hop is now gone. yay! i can smoke my Kumho Ecsta ASX without hopping! (g2 love treadwear warranties heheheh)

If i could do it all over, i'd get the rotated tranny mounts, solid upper engine mount, and custom fill the 3rd with silicone. more solid than stock on all mounts, plus the rotated helps with axle alignment.

oh yea, i just noticed too, a 2.2... not sure how the mounts are different than mine (LSJ) soooo, if what i said applies to your situation, good if not well, at least do one more mount. both tranny mounts without the '3rd mount' OR engine mount = major vibes without much accomplished.
Thank you SO much! exactly the answer I was looking for! I honestly never had too much problem with wheel hop even when I was stock. Alot is in how you launch. i'm sure its different for the SC though..

So you filled your third tranny mount with silicone? what kind? how long did you let it cure?

Quick Reply: Reducing poly mount vibrations