Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Reducing poly mount vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SprChrg4Life
i think i can consider myself a mount expert. my credentials;

i started with the tranny mounts... i custom filled em with urethane construction adhesive (hardness equivalent to poly) and had MAJOR VIBES. oh and they cracked and sucked because I threw em back in too soon (3 days was too soon apparently!)

didn't wanna do that again, so i got the TTR poly tranny mounts. worked better than custom and had a LOT of vibes, but less than b4. I was happy since it helped wheelhop, and the vibes weren't too bad. i had to throw some foam under some interior panels to stop some rattles but nothing that took more than 2 hours to do, not a single rattle can be heard

still had a bit o wheel hop tho, so i got the poly upper engine mount. wheel hop was just barely there, almost gone, and vibes went DOWN... kinda. the vibe frequency shifts to about 1200rpms and gets softer, as opposed to around 1000rpms and a bit rougher. as the TTR rep states vibes did go down a bit, but they are still there just in a different way. you can say they went down. I can attest to that.

got bored one friday night and i filled in the 3rd tranny mount... again, VIBES WENT DOWN, and wheel hop is now gone. yay! i can smoke my Kumho Ecsta ASX without hopping! (g2 love treadwear warranties heheheh)

If i could do it all over, i'd get the rotated tranny mounts, solid upper engine mount, and custom fill the 3rd with silicone. more solid than stock on all mounts, plus the rotated helps with axle alignment.

oh yea, i just noticed too, a 2.2... not sure how the mounts are different than mine (LSJ) soooo, if what i said applies to your situation, good if not well, at least do one more mount. both tranny mounts without the '3rd mount' OR engine mount = major vibes without much accomplished.
That is exactly the point I've been trying to get across to people. It makes a huge difference.

Earlier in the post you said you used polyurethane construction adhesive (which is what I used) but later you said silicone. Which one did you actually use? I wondered about using something a little less stiff than the poly adhesive, but I was afraid the silicone would be much too spongey.

Originally Posted by OBZ
Thank you SO much! exactly the answer I was looking for! I honestly never had too much problem with wheel hop even when I was stock. Alot is in how you launch. i'm sure its different for the SC though..

So you filled your third tranny mount with silicone? what kind? how long did you let it cure?
I'll have to see what he says in response to what I posted above, but I used the polyurethane adhesive, and when fully dry, has the consistency of a bouncy ball. Very tough, but rubbery. I let mine dry 3 FULL days (72 hours) and they were fine. But I can tell you from experience that you cannot expect them to dry any sooner than that, and don't test it. The poly is going to be close to 2" thick in some places, so that needs a lot of time to dry all the way through.

Last edited by N8s07SS; 04-03-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-03-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry if i confused some of ya with the silicone comment. i never said what i used to fill the 3rd mount! sorry. just to clarify, I have poly tranny bushings, solid upper engine mount (poly ttr) and i filled the '3rd tranny mount' with quiksteel, which is 87 shore grade hardness epoxy, like poly but more brittle. Don't have to worry about too much movement due to me having all the other mounts solidified, more than 1 epoxy mount can lead to cracking on hard launches, i have 2 friends with 2 different FWD cars, same story.

if i had to start over (dont wanna spend another dime on mounts, time securing rattles or jacking up the engine ) i would do the rotated tranny mounts, solid upper engine, and instead of quiksteeling the 3rd mount, i'd silicone it, keeping it stiffer than stock but giving additional support without the extra vibes.

my dad says i'm gonna nuke my clutch by engaging at 1500rpms smooth & quick, i show him a 1000rpm slow engage and he nearly went deaf from the rattles, which are now fixed heh. he has a '05 C6, he doesn't even need gas he just takes the clutch out at moderate speed and he's engaged at like 600rpm, monster torque gets him up to speed. i tell him we have two completely different cars...

was about to go off on a tangent, oops. N8s, glad you agree, people seem to have varying oppinions on this... when it comes to the mounts, I say if you're gonna stiffen up your drivetrain and want wheel hop to be gone, ya g2 go for it, suck it up cuz you will have vibes, and do the bushings and upper mount at LEAST. (people get scared of the vibes, they are quite pleasant, it's the cheap-sounding rattles that are a byproduct of the vibes that people should care about!) leave the 3rd mount alone if it intimidates you to do yourself. call it a day and go smoke out your $200+ tires