Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Removing shift cables from bracket on F35?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Removing shift cables from bracket on F35?

I have been messing around on and off for half of the day trying to release the shift cables from the bracket bolted to the trans, but I can't get them to budge. I know how they are supposed to release, pull the plastic sleeve back on the cable towards the firewall and push them up and out of the bracket. I can free the sleeves no problem where it is not contacting the metal locking tab on the U portion of the bracket, but after that I cannot push them up and out.

I have tried prying up with the sleeve released with a small prybar, and that is not working. I don't want to use too much more force for fear of breaking the plastic, or use any kind of penetrants (some chemicals don't react too well with plastic). There has got to be an easier way, and I am totally not seeing it at the moment. So the question is, how in the heck do I get them out of the bracket?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
I always just put a bar under them and pop them straight up. Never had a problem.

Or just take off the two bolts that hold the bracket down and leave it on the cables in the car.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
I always just put a bar under them and pop them straight up. Never had a problem.

Or just take off the two bolts that hold the bracket down and leave it on the cables in the car.
The bracket itelf is visibly rusted in places, and it probably has some where the cable rests. Even still, the cable is surrounded by platic where it snaps into the metal bracket, and rust should not be fusing them together.

On the backside of the cable the sleeve pulls back to release, but is there anything holding it to the bracket on the frontside?

If I was replacing the cables, I'd have said f it and unbolted the top part of the bracket. But I am trying to install the LNF bracket without completely removing the cables from the car
Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
I've never had to remove anything or push any sleeves or whatever. I usually just grab and pull, but i'm pretty strong and know how to get them. If not, I go from the bottom with a bar and pry them up and out.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
the pivots * the brown "paddle" ends pry up. The cable outers have a black sleeve pull back on that towards the firewall. If they are rusted, while pulling back on the sleeve, pry up with a small screw driver in the "U" of the bracket. should work.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM

I left the paddle ends on, since I did not think they were necessary for removal of the bracket.

I was looking at this thread, 5th pic from the top, and it shows the boot on the opposite side disconnected. I separating it required for removal? If so, that may be what I am doing wrong then.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...racket-279193/

I am working from under the car, but I may just have to take the fuse box out and do it from the top. I was wanting to avoid that. I will try again to see if I can push them up enough to get something in the U part and wedge them out.

Last edited by 05RLS2; 12-09-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 05RLS2
I left the paddle ends on, since I did not think they were necessary for removal of the bracket.

I was looking at this thread, 5th pic from the top, and it shows the boot on the opposite side disconnected. I separating it required for removal? If so, that may be what I am doing wrong then.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...racket-279193/

I am working from under the car, but I may just have to take the fuse box out and do it from the top. I was wanting to avoid that. I will try again to see if I can push them up enough to get something in the U part and wedge them out.
paddle ends left on wont work for you i think
Old 07-27-2014, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOUND THE ISSUE why some are having difficulty removing the cables from the bracket: As you access the shifter bracket through the wheel well, the cable bracket that is closest to the drivers side (the lower cable/3-4 gear) can't be removed until the cable above and behind it (1-2 gear) is released from the bracket first. The slide lock on the upper cable, due to clearance issues, keeps the lower (3-4 gear) cable from popping out of the bracket.

Do yourselves a favor and unbolt the upper and lower bracket assembly, pull the lower bracket out of the car, so that you can maneuver the upper cable bracket around and release the upper/1-2 gear cable FIRST. Now the lower one will pop out when released.