Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Reviews On Shifting Smooth??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviews On Shifting Smooth??

Hey..

Just wondering on how other people feel about this car's shifting transitions.. I heard from my buddy that there was a review from GM itself saying that this car is not a car that likes to shift smooth.. I mean compared to some other cars.. It just doesn't seem to have a nice point to shift at to have a nice smooth shift..

I drove my buddies brothers Toyota Celica the other night from the bar (he was to drunk) and man does that thing shift nice.. Even my 1990 Beretta shifts nicer then this car.. And that car is kind of performance orientated. And I know how to shift so I mean you can say its driver error. Cause like I said I drove the Celica and had nice smooth shifts.. Same with my Beretta.. And also the fact that I am a transport truck driver, and I drive alot of miles in a day.. More miles in a day then more people will put on it like 1 week of driving.

Any else find that this car is below normal for shifting smooth??

Just kind of sucks, cause I mean sometimes I would like a really smooth nice shift. But it just isn't going to happen in this car. I have done it sometimes (well it was ok) but I mean nothing compare to the Celica.. It just comes natural on the Celica.. This car is likes you fighting to get a nice shift. I mean my truck seems to have the same kind of shifting at the car lol.. That's not very good
Old 08-07-2005, 11:35 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed it to be jerky at times, but it doesn't really bother me. While rolling in 2nd gear it does tend to buck slightly when you let the rev's drop too low. I'm not sure if that's normal for a standard shift car since this is my first.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:44 PM

I've got no problems driving it smoothly...

I am also the type of guy that double clutches all the time when down shifting, so I don't just throw it through the gears when driving normally, i'm pretty methodical and precise about it.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by MarcS
I've noticed it to be jerky at times, but it doesn't really bother me. While rolling in 2nd gear it does tend to buck slightly when you let the rev's drop too low. I'm not sure if that's normal for a standard shift car since this is my first.

ditto
when its cold, i notice it is more jerky also
Old 08-08-2005, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by b-spot
I've got no problems driving it smoothly...

I am also the type of guy that double clutches all the time when down shifting, so I don't just throw it through the gears when driving normally, i'm pretty methodical and precise about it.
want to explain what double clutching is for me? thanks ive always wanted to know
Old 08-08-2005, 12:54 AM
The Stig

Originally Posted by wikkymaster
want to explain what double clutching is for me? thanks ive always wanted to know
http://felixwong.com/openroad/double_clutch.html

Here's a pretty good explanation.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:09 AM

Now what is the difference between
-shitting into neutral letting out the clutch hitting the gas, pushing in the clutch then shiffing down( normal double clutching)

and

-pushing in the clutch, shifting down then pushing the gas while the clutch is still in to match revs?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:55 AM
The Stig

Originally Posted by Taro
-shitting into neutral letting out the clutch hitting the gas, pushing in the clutch then shiffing down( normal double clutching)

and

-pushing in the clutch, shifting down then pushing the gas while the clutch is still in to match revs?
Both are used to "match revs" but the 2nd one you mentioned only uses one clutch press, so you would call that just plain "rev matching".
Old 08-08-2005, 06:16 AM

There is no need to double clutch in these cars.. It does nothing for this cars.. Double clutching is needed in NON-SYNCORMESH (sp) transmissions.. These are already SYCHRONIZED so double clutching is not really an advantage..

I have to double clutch in my truck, cause if I don't then it will not go into gear and it will just grind the gears.. Same with upshifting I have to double clutch as well.. Any time I am changing gears I have to double clutch.. Going up a gear I just doubt clutch and downshifting I Double clutch and put it into gear.

But like I said.. Doing it in a car will have no advantage.. Contrary to what people believe.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:54 AM
The Stig

Originally Posted by 90BerettaGTZ
There is no need to double clutch in these cars.. It does nothing for this cars.. Double clutching is needed in NON-SYNCORMESH (sp) transmissions.. These are already SYCHRONIZED so double clutching is not really an advantage..

I have to double clutch in my truck, cause if I don't then it will not go into gear and it will just grind the gears.. Same with upshifting I have to double clutch as well.. Any time I am changing gears I have to double clutch.. Going up a gear I just doubt clutch and downshifting I Double clutch and put it into gear.

But like I said.. Doing it in a car will have no advantage.. Contrary to what people believe.
You're right, but you could find it helpful on an auto-x course with heel-and-toe shifting.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:38 PM

It does have a little advatage, it smooths out the ride. DOwnshifting without matching the revs pulls the car down like a bitch. And doesnt feel to good either.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Taro

and

When you leave the clutch in and rev you are going to wear your throwout bearing more quickly. This is also a non-lubricated part, so not the best idea.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:21 PM

Absolutely wrong.

There are several advantages:

#1 less clutch wear. When you let the clutch out slowly to downshift without rev matching (as posted above, rev matching with the clutch still in is BAD) you wear the clutch as it slips to match the engine speed.

#2 Faster shifts. Instead of waiting for the revs to slowly match (letting the clutch out instantly when downshifting will jerk you to hell) you can drop the clutch out instantly if your revs are matched correctly. Also when going to pass on the highway for instance, you can drop a gear or 2 way faster than the traditional way.

#3 Less wear on your syncros. My syncros take a bit of a beating when I'm up-shifting as fast as I can when accelerating, so I give them a break when I'm driving normally. Wrecked syncros suck!
Old 08-08-2005, 02:13 PM

everytime i hear the term double clutching.....i think of the movie fast n the ferious
Old 08-09-2005, 02:59 PM

Why do you use the clutch at all? What kind of Transmission is it?

I usally drive an Eaton Fuller 8 speed in a gravel truck. (but have driven 13 speeds and 18 speeds) I use the clutch to go in first from a stop (and into reverse) and I don't use it again.

Upshifts and downshifts with no clutch
Old 08-09-2005, 03:03 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by avro206

I usally drive an Eaton Fuller 8 speed in a gravel truck. (but have driven 13 speeds and 18 speeds) I use the clutch to go in first from a stop (and into reverse) and I don't use it again.

You may get away with that in a large truck, but that'll tear up the syncromesh in our cars if not done perfectly.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:21 PM

I meant in a General aspect.. I don't use the clutch in my truck either.. I have driven 10, 13, 15 and 18 speeds.. I don't use the clutch the only time I use it is when I am at a complete stop.. If I am at a rolling stop then I don't use the clutch for that.. Sorry if I mis-lead ya ..
Old 08-15-2005, 08:15 PM
tio

Hey..

Just wondering on how other people feel about this car's shifting transitions.. I heard from my buddy that there was a review from GM itself saying that this car is not a car that likes to shift smooth.. I mean compared to some other cars.. It just doesn't seem to have a nice point to shift at to have a nice smooth shift..

I drove my buddies brothers Toyota Celica the other night from the bar (he was to drunk) and man does that thing shift nice.. Even my 1990 Beretta shifts nicer then this car.. And that car is kind of performance orientated. And I know how to shift so I mean you can say its driver error. Cause like I said I drove the Celica and had nice smooth shifts.. Same with my Beretta.. And also the fact that I am a transport truck driver, and I drive alot of miles in a day.. More miles in a day then more people will put on it like 1 week of driving.

Any else find that this car is below normal for shifting smooth??

Just kind of sucks, cause I mean sometimes I would like a really smooth nice shift. But it just isn't going to happen in this car. I have done it sometimes (well it was ok) but I mean nothing compare to the Celica.. It just comes natural on the Celica.. This car is likes you fighting to get a nice shift. I mean my truck seems to have the same kind of shifting at the car lol.. That's not very good

I know what you mean on this one. I struggled with getting a smooth shift out of this one too ( I have been driving standard over 20 years, I have a tractor trailer repair business so I am no stranger to shifting). I think these cars are a little tougher because of the stiffer clutch and all of the torque in the throttle. I think there is a tendancy to shift much slower when not racing and the revs drop really fast in these cars. Try shifting a little quicker,still let up the clutch slower and really feather back into the thottle. Just my opinion,I am in no way an authority but WTF give it a try .

Steve.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:00 AM

WEIRD.... I just got back from driving my dad's 6-speed mini cooper S. The cobalt ss is almost impossible to shift compared to this thing. I think it is that the throttle is too rev happy on the SS. Having them both be supercharged 4-cyl, I would expect the power delivery to be near the same, but the cooper S is sooo easy to drive. The cobalt SS is a wreck.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:31 AM

I meant in a General aspect.. I don't use the clutch in my truck either.. I have driven 10, 13, 15 and 18 speeds.. I don't use the clutch the only time I use it is when I am at a complete stop.. If I am at a rolling stop then I don't use the clutch for that.. Sorry if I mis-lead ya ..
whew.... just checking!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:39 AM

so much misinformation in this thread where to get started

you people have "revmatching" confused with double clutching... the jerkiness u can avoid is when u push the clutch in and blip the throttle then slowly release the clutch, thus the revs are already matched and its a smoother engagement

THIS IS NOT DOUBLE CLUTCHING

real double clutching is useless on our cars because of the synchos...u are in fact creating a slower car because u are spending more time trying to shift like a fast and furious wannabe, when in fact i just owned you. lol
Old 08-17-2005, 10:27 AM

and real double clutching is useless on anything too
Old 08-17-2005, 04:52 PM

and real double clutching is useless on anything too

no, i forgot the application, but there are certain transmissions, and certain cars that need it
Old 08-17-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by tiny
no, i forgot the application, but there are certain transmissions, and certain cars that need it
my bad.

I meant any large trucks. Like semis/gravel trucks and probably buses. No clutch is needed. Its a waste of your left leg! heck I can't drive them with the clutch! (well...not very well)
Old 08-18-2005, 01:22 AM

The smoothness (or lack thereof) of the shifter in this car is one of the few *minor* issues I have with this car. I will say that practical or not, double-clutching has made my downshifts much smoother feeling. Whether it actually does anything for or to the car, I don't know. It feels like it would be easier on your drivetrain though. With the SS being a "performance" vehicle, I would expect it to have its idiosyncrisies(sp?).

Quick Reply: Reviews On Shifting Smooth??