Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Reviews On Shifting Smooth??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, many of our cars don't have over 5k miles on them. We need to let them wear in..
Old 08-18-2005, 07:33 AM

I haven't driven a SC/SS (maybe some one in town would be willing....) but the regular SS shifted awesome on my test.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:43 AM

Wow I tought it was just me who thought that this car doesn't like to shift smooth. I thought part of it was that it is my first manual and that i would get better at it but really any of the people i let drive my car think the **** is to hard to drive "Normal" How do i explain it but as that the car acts misbehaved. Jumpy throttle, stiff clutch pedel, Clutch grabs instanly real late also they said second is kinda hard to grab or notchy. I'm ganna try som GM syncro-mesh and see if that helps any. But what can i say the car just likes to go.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think any of you whiny people know how to drive a stick! I have no problems shifting smoothley in the car. Learn how to drive it. It's not fault of the transmission. It's fault of YOU not knowing how to effectively drive your vehicle.

Every single manual vehicle is going to respond slightly different than another. Adjust and learn to drive it.

My shifting was jerky for the first few weeks until I got used to the car. Now it's smooth as butter.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
I don't think any of you whiny people know how to drive a stick! I have no problems shifting smoothley in the car. Learn how to drive it. It's not fault of the transmission. It's fault of YOU not knowing how to effectively drive your vehicle.

Every single manual vehicle is going to respond slightly different than another. Adjust and learn to drive it.

My shifting was jerky for the first few weeks until I got used to the car. Now it's smooth as butter.
Oh I forgot your the greatest person ever. you are the greastest peson to ever drive a manual car. You my friend are Great. You must have the fastest cobalt ever because you shift so smooth everytime. Everyone should stop being whiny and be more like you. You are the man..........
Old 08-18-2005, 02:33 PM

Sounds about right
Old 08-18-2005, 03:18 PM

Yeah, it takes some getting used to but it gets smoother. It's like any car, you have to figure out the shift points, where the clutch lets off and syncronising your throttle and clutch. I've only had mine a few weeks, but it gets better. The only thing that pisses me off is when you stop at a light and enter a bumpy intersection in first, it's kinda hard to prevent your foot from bouncing off the clutch and I end up jerking a bit sometimes. Crappy roads where I live. Anyway, I usually try to avoid it by shifting quickly into 2nd before the onslaught of "intersection speed bumps".
Old 08-18-2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by xavier102772
Yeah, it takes some getting used to but it gets smoother. It's like any car, you have to figure out the shift points, where the clutch lets off and syncronising your throttle and clutch. I've only had mine a few weeks, but it gets better. The only thing that pisses me off is when you stop at a light and enter a bumpy intersection in first, it's kinda hard to prevent your foot from bouncing off the clutch and I end up jerking a bit sometimes. Crappy roads where I live. Anyway, I usually try to avoid it by shifting quickly into 2nd before the onslaught of "intersection speed bumps".
Sounds like me! I HATE when it does that in an intersection. I try and either take my foot away from the accelerator or like you said quickly shift it into second.

Other than that, I think the car shifts really smooth. Then again this is my first manual tranny and I'm not a passenger in the car (which can make you notice the jerkiness a little more), but for me it shifts really smoothly.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:21 PM

For sure man.. Your right I don't know how to drive stick.. I guess all those years of driving a standard car and transport trucks make me a crappy shifter.. I guess when you drive 3000+ miles a week you still need more miles to learn how to drive standard.. Damn that's alot of driving man. I don't know if I could do it.. I mean I am already driving standard for a living, but I don't know.. I guess I just don't know how to shift.. I am just wondering. If I don't know how to shift then how do I ever get my truck moving.. It must be something magical moving that damn car and truck.. Whoa.. Magical powers...

To sum it up... STFU... I know how to drive standard and I am very efficent on it.. So don't tell me I dont know how to drive stick.. It's the car.. Sure I can get smooth shifts if I want.. But you have to put more attention into it to get a smooth shift compare to other cars.. I guess perforance drives don't how to drive stick to.. Is this what your telling me.. Cause in my post I said that they had reviews on a car and driver magazine where PROFESSIONAL RACE DRIVERS even said the car is not a smooth shifter compared to the others.. So I mean I guess your Mr. Know-It-All... And those guys are just idiots as well..

/End rant
Old 08-19-2005, 12:07 AM
The Stig

I agree, it does take a little more concentration to make smooth shifts. JMO
Old 08-19-2005, 09:12 AM

Concentration and added effort may or may not be needed, but the point is you CAN shift smoothley if you so desire.

I don't care if you've been driving a stick for 50 years. That doesn't mean you are an expert with THIS car. You should know better than anyone then that almost every single manual transmission in existence will feel different than another. Just wearing the clutch down will make the same transmission feel different. You can be the best shifter in the world on transmission X, and you will still need time to adjust to transmission Y.

And just because you can get your vehicle moving doesn't mean you have mastered manual transmission driving for a particular vehicle.

I don't claim to be a master manual driver either. But I DO claim that I can shift my Cobalt SS smoothley without issue. If I can do it, ANYONE can do it and therefore the car is not at fault.

Your professional race car drivers can advise on the ease of performing a smooth shift on transmission to transmission, I don't doubt that. But that doesn't mean it CAN'T shift smoothley.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:11 AM

i have also noticed this car dosent like to be drove "easy". its almost a challange to drive it sensible! have any of you stalled it in first trying to ease off from a stop, and then it take a couple of cranks for it to start? also noticed my 3rd gear acts up sometimes, like the synchro is not right causing the gear to go in hard or a couple of times grind, like when your puting it in reverse. idk, all in all its ok, just drive it like yah stole it and she runs fine!
Old 08-19-2005, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by love my SS
i have also noticed this car dosent like to be drove "easy". its almost a challange to drive it sensible! have any of you stalled it in first trying to ease off from a stop, and then it take a couple of cranks for it to start? also noticed my 3rd gear acts up sometimes, like the synchro is not right causing the gear to go in hard or a couple of times grind, like when your puting it in reverse. idk, all in all its ok, just drive it like yah stole it and she runs fine!
yeah it happens to people except nightcrawler his shifts are silky smooth every time.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:29 PM

Yeah, all I know is I think it really wants you to launch out of first, none of this take it out slow and spare the passengers whiplash BS.....not that I mind, I like taking her out fast and hard....
Old 08-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Banned

As everyone's been saying, each vehicle drives differently. You can't just drive one and then say you can drive them all. Manual transmissions are not an exact science, you can't just read a book on how to drive one and then go out and do it perfectly. It takes practice and skill, things that must be learned from physically driving the vehicle.

As for double clutching, its foolish to critisize someone or call them a poseur for doing it. Sure, it won't make you any faster, but it does no harm either. Modern syncronized transmissions don't need to be double clutched, but by choosing to do so you will save wear on the synchros. Double clutch your car all the time, and then pull it apart when it has 200K miles and look at the synchros - they will still look brand new. So its not useless, its just not beneficiary from a performance aspect

As far as the SS S/C is concerned, I think the shifter and clutch are about average compared to other cars in the class. The RSX-S probably has the best shifting trans in this class; Honda makes some of the smoothest and most precise manual transmissions, but I can't stand how light the clutch is on some models. Durability is another concern, and the RSX guys seem to have a lot of issues with the trans not going into gear soon after being new. The SRT-4 probably has the worst shifter/clutch combo in the group, I've checked one out in person, and it was like shifting an old muscle car, not a sport compact. I also checked out the SS S/C in person, and I thought the shifter and clutch were great. I easily rowed through all the cogs like it was second nature, and the clutch stiffness was spot on. The grab point did see pretty high though, as some of you have mentioned.

So the bottom line is you can drive just about any manual trans smoothly with enough practice. People who assume they can get in any vehicle and drive it perfectly the first time are just fooling themselves, every car is different. I mean look at the guys at Motor Trend, they drive all kinds of manual trans's each day, yet they all kept stalling the Porsche Carrera GT during their test.

So I have no doubt that the Cobalt SS S/C can be driven relatively smoothly with enough practice
Old 09-14-2005, 02:10 PM

Shifts fine to me, and I have never stalled it. Like some have said, yes it will take some getting used to not matter how many manual tranny's you have driven.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:15 AM

I find shifting 1-2, 2-3 jerky sometimes - even concentrating on shifting.

One nice thing I have found is reverse. This car goes into reverse nicer than any manual I have driven. Not once so far has there been a grind or the big clunk sound so many seem to make.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:57 AM

don't want to sound like a butthead, but whether or not they are jerky the cars, even my base sedan are frickin "peppy" and fun as hell to drive. about as fun as my old rx7(R.I.P.)
Old 09-15-2006, 12:16 AM

tio is right it is in the throttle when shifting. the more torque the harder the shift.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:20 AM

the torque in the throttle. and the guys driving these 18 wheelers they are totally different.
the gearbox is much bigger add that is why you dont use a clutch while shifting. when semis run they have about 1500lbs of torque and that you **** up a clutch so fast
Old 09-17-2006, 12:46 AM

i dont find shifting smoothly that difficult at all although my brothers cavalier shifts a shitload easier
Old 09-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

Every car ive had has been standard , this cobalt is the most touchy . I think its a combonation of motor mounts , and transmission lash. I can shift it smooth , but it feels like i have to abuse the clutch to do it . I'm ordering a ingalls torque dampener to see if it helps stiffen it up alittle . Everyone who has one says it helps in shifting these cars.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:26 AM

I have generally found the shifting to be physically difficult. There are times the shifter is very stiff getting it into gear. 3rd gear always feels like it is engaging rough. It seemed like I migth have had a ligth grind shifting into ti today in fact. My other GMs have all shifted far easier than this. (Sunfire and Fieros) As far as shifting smoothly, I can certinaly do it.. but ti seems difficutlt o do at low RPMs withotu feeling like I am using the clutch excessively. I prefer to slip my clutch as little as possible while still shifting smoothly. The pedal height at the friction point seems a tad hight o me also.