Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Saturn L200 Transmission in a COBALT???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the linkages could be figured out some how. I just don't know if I'm willing to give it a try. I'm going to make some calls on monday and see how much swapping gearsets will cost me.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WopOnTour
No so JP
The input to the PCM is actually identical in this respect (connector C3 terminals 44 and 45) all that's really different is the reluctor tooth count (30 on the Redline axle reluctor vs. 89 teeth on the Cobalt ring gear) and therefore the divide ratio for the higher frequency must be accounted for in ECM's MPH calculation used for the speedometer and other networked speed dependant systems. The divide ratio setting can be altered easy enough in software through something like HPTuner in the speedometer section. I've swapped Cobalt/Redline/Saab setups in this manner without issue.

The larger problem in this particular swap is the shifter linkage. The non-weighted shift arm used in the L-series used a diffrent mechanism and has different geometry than the weighted arm.So this isn't really a swap for the meek of heart as you'll probably need to swap the shift shafts which isn't something you cant really do without pulling it apart. Not impossible though.

The ones we did in 2003-04 were brand new Redline units and we had all the Saab F35 tools (and the 16 hour overhaul training course taught by Sven himself) Technically all we did was take the Redline transmissions apart, press apart the output shafts and install the 20-tooth shaft (the 4.05:1 output shaft has 22 teeth) and added the quaiffes using the original ring gear. The final drive ring gear is IDENTICAL between the 4.05 and 4.45 units and since our transmissions had 0 miles there was no worry of generating "wear pattern" gear noises and such.

So if you're determined to go to 4.45 it might be easier to just get someone with the tools (and knows what they're doing) to disassemble and them both and swap the shift shafts OR keep your trans and swap the output shaft assemblies OR just buy and install the 20 tooth shaft into your trans (with some minor risk of gear noise with a "mixed" gearset with either solution)

For drag racing this change actually makes a lot of sense (providing you have the traction) as besides the additional TQ , you shift sooner and dont end up with that dreaded last shift "in the traps". I have the speed charts for the stock tires somewhere, if I can find it I'll post them. But of course if you're building a serious Cobalt for drag racing you'll want to go with a modified 4T65E or something like an Xtrac.
HTH
WopOnTour
If HP tuners lets you recalibrate the vss tooth count thats great I was unaware that HP tuners can do that. Can it? Can anyone say definitively that the access to the correct table exists in HP tuners?

Also in the "dont know " category is, I dont know if the L200 trans has the right 1st motion shaft length for the LSJ .Does it? the LSJ has a trans spacer in it for a good reason. & LNF clutches dont fit an LSJ; the flywheels are different, etc etc .

WOT you know better than most. My advice for Ralli remains the same : dont do it. To go to 4.45 is not cheap but a $250 used L200 trans could cost Ralli way more in headaches and fitment issues, and going to a redline intermediate shaft for external vss is a backward step IMHO. I got one coz I gotta redline.