Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Shifting question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting question

Ok so im new to a manual, I drove them rarely for work so since friday is really the first time ive driven a manual for more then 5 minutes. Anyway, I can make the car shift smooth if I let off the clutch real slow. Now in my truck (auto) I had a programmer that turned up shift pressure which made the truck jump on shifts which was good I heard it was better for the transmission.

Ok anyway my question is, is it better to almost shift quicker (which for me makes the car kinda jump when shifting) or is it better to shift slower and smooth almost like an automatic? I can shift real smooth like an auto if I do it slower, however I would think it would be better to almost "pop" off the clutch so it keeps slipping to a minimal?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you're jumping because you're not rev matching. push the clutch, shift, give alittle gas, let the clutch out. with a manual you have to put the car to the right rpms for it to be buttery smooth. same thing when you downshift. i'll use a downshift as an example because it's easier to understand for a noob i think.

if you're cruising at 3krpms in 3rd, and you want to downshift to 2nd, your rpms are going to jump up to over 4krpms now if you keep the same speed. try it and watch your rpms. so, the way to do it smoothly would be to let off gas, hit clutch, shift from 3rd to 2nd, hit the gas a LITTLE so your rpm's go up to around 4, let out clutch, and it will be perfectly smooth.

This car takes some getting used to, i still could be smoother on the 1 to 2 shift, and i learned how to drive on a manual, took my drivers test with a stick.

so, to answer your question, there's really no right or wrong way to do it as far as fast or slow, but since you're new i would try to start out slowly and then work your way up. the longer you're not in gear and off the gas the more you will slow down.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:39 PM

no you dontwant to pop the clutch or you will be replacing it very soon.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Banned

put it this way, it takes a LOT of practice to master a manual tranny if you're not used to it. but when you do master it, people shouldn't know that you're driving a stick. it should feel the same as driving an automatic.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 PM

If I were you I would drive slow just to get used to the tranny and know the cars "sweet spots" for shifting. Once you get it down then you can have fun.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 PM

Well from zero to go sometimes I can be very smooth but I sort of stay on the clutch for a while. Im trying to give it more RPM/Gas to avoid this. First to second sometimes I get it butter smooth sometimes not. Second to whatever Normally I get this butter smooth. Its a good thing I found the noobie thread bout driving stick on here, I didnt realize it was better to be in neutral at a light instead of foot on clutch and break.

Im doing alot better then I was when I first got the car, but I guess I just need practice!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
put it this way, it takes a LOT of practice to master a manual tranny if you're not used to it. but when you do master it, people shouldn't know that you're driving a stick. it should feel the same as driving an automatic.
sometimes i like people for people to know im driving a stick

Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Well from zero to go sometimes I can be very smooth but I sort of stay on the clutch for a while. Im trying to give it more RPM/Gas to avoid this. First to second sometimes I get it butter smooth sometimes not. Second to whatever Normally I get this butter smooth. Its a good thing I found the noobie thread bout driving stick on here, I didnt realize it was better to be in neutral at a light instead of foot on clutch and break.

Im doing alot better then I was when I first got the car, but I guess I just need practice!
yea in 1st when you give it more gas you let off the clutch more equally if that makes since. But you dont want to ride the clutch to much or it could go out that way also

Last edited by SmOKe JeNsOn; 08-01-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-01-2007, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by IR0NS1N

Youll get it man. This car is my first stick as well. It took my a couple months to master it but once you have it, its natural and you can shift almost as smooth as an auto like Dust said.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:52 PM

My I had a friend drive it who drives stick everyday and I cant wait to drive like he can I dont even want to race anyone Id just like to shift nice so the clutch doesnt hate me.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:55 PM

You'll get it eventually just keep doing what you doing and only take a little advice at a time or you will be totally screwed up
Old 08-01-2007, 09:03 PM

Well as poopy as I drive the car its pretty dang quick! I really want to get an intake and start the modding fest but I really need to learn to drive it first Come to think of it the Truck I traded in I paid 4500 for the truck in the year and a half I made payments, I also put 1500 in performance mods into it, 1000 in audio, and 1000 in tires and rims, so 3500 total. I apparently cant keep the modding to a minimum.