Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

ss/tc tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ss/tc tranny

just curious if anyone knows if the ss/tc trans would bolt up to a ss/sc.

I might be in need of a tranny and figured i would go for the tranny with the lower final drive since im turbo. just want confirmation that they are the same... im assuming so but then again you never know if the changed something
Old 10-05-2008, 03:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should be the same basic Ecotec variant F35 and it will bolt up fine to the engine. Saab has used the same lower 3.82 final drive ratio F35 behind the Ecotec in some of the 9-3s up until they went to all 6-speeds and replaced it with the F40 transaxle (the 4.05 ratio F35s are still used in the larger and heavier 9-5s). The axles shafts are a lot bigger on the new SS Turbo so you might want to verify the inner splines are the same as well as checking to make sure they didn't change anything else like the hydraulic clutch mechanism or shift components. I doubt it but you never know. Worst case you might need to change or swap a few pieces from your old trans (unlikely but again I can't say for certain, although I myself would have enough confidence to try it because you should be able to make it work even if there are some differences).
Old 10-05-2008, 03:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, the TC's F35 is a direct bolt-in replacement for the SC F35
Old 10-05-2008, 06:13 AM

Perfect. Now he just needs to find one. And I know this may sound selfish but I hope he doesn't find any in the salvage yards yet because that means the cars are already being wrecked and insurance rates will soon be going up.

On a side note, even if you find one with the 4.05 gears you could always change the final drive if you don't mind some trans work and buying the parts. A lot of Saab owners have been modifying them for quite some time. You can find gearing as low as a 3.61 ratio all the way up to a 4.45 if cruising at upper 3k rpms at highway speeds doesn't bother you.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:08 AM

I wanted the lower ratio cause it would help put more power down and more load on the trubo motor. I figured I wouldnt find one at a bone yard so probably gonna have to get one from the dealer
Old 10-05-2008, 11:38 AM

you'll be putting less TQ down with a higher ratio like that. You'll get better gas mileage, but if you want better accelleration I would keep the 4.05
Old 10-05-2008, 01:35 PM

A higher numerical ratio(4.45) is actually a lower gear, it allows for more torque multiplication and allows the vehicle to accelerate more quickly or move a heavier load with the same amount of power

A lower numerical ratio(3.61) is a higher gear, it puts more load on the engine when it is used to accomplish the same task as a 4.45 gear. It will reduce cruising rpms and increase highway fuel mileage.

If you want to put "more load" on the engine, you want a higher gear, that is a numerically lower number.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:22 PM

I dont want better acceleration per say

I want first gear mainly longer as its a PITA in stock form
Old 10-05-2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Z Speed
I dont want better acceleration per say

I want first gear mainly longer as its a PITA in stock form
Then yes, you want a TC trans or a higher final drive(lower numerically) to help with this.

You could also call around and see if anyone could make/offers a higher first gear.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Also, the benifits of converting to the 08 SS/TC tranny is that it has already proven itself to be exponentially stronger than ours. Seeing as you are turboed, I would highly recommend this transmission.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 PM

Stronger than the F35 in the LSJ cars? I'm kind of curious why you'd think the one in the new LNF cars is that much better and has "proven" itself when the cars have only been out a few months. The guts and internals should still be drop-in swappable with the F35 used in the 9-5 (which has a different case due to the different bell housing and mounting differences for the Saab 2.3L). The Aero wagons weigh about 600-700 pounds more than the Cobalt and in Europe can be upgraded with an aftermarket Hirsch Performance package that takes horsepower and torque both up to the 300 level while retaining factory warranty. Most of those F35s hold up pretty well and the Cobalt should be no different. Abuse any transaxle and they'll have issues and we will probably see some failure/problems on the new SS Turbo, but hopefully not many that aren't due to operator error/abuse.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by blackbird
Stronger than the F35 in the LSJ cars? I'm kind of curious why you'd think the one in the new LNF cars is that much better and has "proven" itself when the cars have only been out a few months. The guts and internals should still be drop-in swappable with the F35 used in the 9-5 (which has a different case due to the different bell housing and mounting differences for the Saab 2.3L). The Aero wagons weigh about 600-700 pounds more than the Cobalt and in Europe can be upgraded with an aftermarket Hirsch Performance package that takes horsepower and torque both up to the 300 level while retaining factory warranty. Most of those F35s hold up pretty well and the Cobalt should be no different. Abuse any transaxle and they'll have issues and we will probably see some failure/problems on the new SS Turbo, but hopefully not many that aren't due to operator error/abuse.
Granted any transaxle will buckle under constant and obsessive abuse, but the tuned SS/TC's are clearing 300whp and racing the crap out of them, I have seen many videos, and also check out the TC forum on here, and they are still driving. I blew two of my transmissions, one was clearly my fault, while the other was just a querk I guess, coupled with power. Looking to this swap in my near future in order to hold up my latest and greatest setup. (unless we magically get shepard to build us kits)

And there have been a few on here who have been lucky enough to hold gobbs on turboed power with our stock F35.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by burntorange
Granted any transaxle will buckle under constant and obsessive abuse, but the tuned SS/TC's are clearing 300whp and racing the crap out of them, I have seen many videos, and also check out the TC forum on here, and they are still driving. I blew two of my transmissions, one was clearly my fault, while the other was just a querk I guess, coupled with power. Looking to this swap in my near future in order to hold up my latest and greatest setup. (unless we magically get shepard to build us kits)

And there have been a few on here who have been lucky enough to hold gobbs on turboed power with our stock F35.
guess im unlucky cause mine gave away at the track... and this was the 2nd time being there but the first time on this trans. I havent had much luck with with f35 trannys lasting

Originally Posted by blackbird

problem is my f23 in my 2.4 quad cavy took all the abuse I could throw at it. They are very well proven them selves to be much stronger then most would think. its to the point with my cobalt im ready to get rid of it and go back to a cavy as this is rediculous how cheaply made the cobalts are made considering there supposed to be a performance car. brings shame to the chevy community when your rockin the SS badge and u cant even back it cause ur afraid of something going wrong all the time

Last edited by Z Speed; 10-06-2008 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-06-2008, 08:18 PM

ya, my tranny lasted at the strip for well over 100 runs (on stock clutch) lmao and that was dumping it at 1800! I guess I got lucky, until I blew that one and another roll racing....damn....