Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Stick a FORK in my Tranny b/c its DONE!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Stick a FORK in my Tranny b/c its DONE!!

Well lastnight I was driving home from the Car Show, and next thing I know I have no 3rd or 4th gear(it felt like it was in neutral when I would push it into 3rd & 4th like nothing was there). So I pull over at a gas station and pulled the center console out and made sure all the linkages were good and connected(I do have a B&M STS) and everything checks out. So I drive over to my GF's friends house and call my buddy who is a Service Tech at the local Chevrolet dealership and he tells me to shut the car off and try to put it in gear w/ the car off and the clutch in(too see if my syncros were bad) and so everything checks out and I crank it bad up and it is stuck in 5th no matter WHERE the shifter is at 1st, 2nd, neutral, reverse ect. So we push it out of the driveway and drive it like that(stuck in 5th) over to my GF's house(2 stops) and ALL I can smell is clutch from me having to pedal it to go in 5th(from a dead stop) So after checking the linkages and everything on the transmission itself and everything checks out. So I have my GF take me home and the next morning I go back over to look at it somemore and I bring my Cousin(who is a mechanic) with me to help me look and diagnos the problem. So I crank it back up and now all of a sudden it goes into 1st, 2nd, 5th and reverse but still no 3rd or 4th(before it was suck in 5th the whole time). So my cousin takes a look at it and diagnos's it as the forks in the transmission are broke in half for the neutral gears(3rd & 4th). Which also would explain why I have a rattling/clunking/tapping sound in my transmission. Soo tommorow the car goes to the Chevrolet dealership to have warranty work done and I have already removed the B&M STS just to make sure I dont have any problems! I will update w/ further details when I bring the car in/get it back. You guys think I should drive it to the dealership or have it towed??
Old 03-04-2007, 09:13 PM

call 1800 Chev Tech< its free towing for chevys. Im sorry about ur tranny man, I just got a new one installed.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:16 PM

but if they dont cover it. Then you have to pay the towing fees
Old 03-04-2007, 09:19 PM

im sure they will try to blame performance mods if you have them as well.. stripem off imo
Old 03-04-2007, 09:20 PM

thats not true, Who told you that. I had my car towed because I fuked up a fuse IN which I had to pay 100 dlls for and I did NOT have to pay for thw towing.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ljavy17
call 1800 Chev Tech< its free towing for chevys. Im sorry about ur tranny man, I just got a new one installed.
Thanks man!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:31 PM
p7x

this isnt cool the past couple months i have noticed more and more that 3rd and 4th are getting tougher to select.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by p7x
this isnt cool the past couple months i have noticed more and more that 3rd and 4th are getting tougher to select.
Yea it just happened all of a sudden, I have had a problem w/ hitting 3rd gear though...
Old 03-04-2007, 09:41 PM

hopefully you dont have any warranty issues
Old 03-04-2007, 09:47 PM

i jsut got a new tranny put in my SS S/C and i'm stock as a bird. then a new master clutch cyclinder and now my throw bearing is messed as i have no clutch. i had to power shift all the way home. its a damn good thing i drive rigs all bloody day or else the power shifting would have taken some getting used to. lol
Old 03-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rangerondubz
Yea it just happened all of a sudden, I have had a problem w/ hitting 3rd gear though...
as in when racing you miss third ????????
Old 03-04-2007, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC
as in when racing you miss third ????????
Well yea racing.....
Old 03-04-2007, 11:36 PM

I lost the tranny in mine before I traded it. Wheel hop at the track was so bad it cracked the tranny case. I think it's safe to say that these cars have week trannies.

So if you don't want your tranny to break, don't drive your Cobalt...??? Wtf.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 PM

Thumbs down I had the same thing

Originally Posted by Rangerondubz
Well lastnight I was driving home from the Car Show, and next thing I know I have no 3rd or 4th gear(it felt like it was in neutral when I would push it into 3rd & 4th like nothing was there). So I pull over at a gas station and pulled the center console out and made sure all the linkages were good and connected(I do have a B&M STS) and everything checks out. So I drive over to my GF's friends house and call my buddy who is a Service Tech at the local Chevrolet dealership and he tells me to shut the car off and try to put it in gear w/ the car off and the clutch in(too see if my syncros were bad) and so everything checks out and I crank it bad up and it is stuck in 5th no matter WHERE the shifter is at 1st, 2nd, neutral, reverse ect. So we push it out of the driveway and drive it like that(stuck in 5th) over to my GF's house(2 stops) and ALL I can smell is clutch from me having to pedal it to go in 5th(from a dead stop) So after checking the linkages and everything on the transmission itself and everything checks out. So I have my GF take me home and the next morning I go back over to look at it somemore and I bring my Cousin(who is a mechanic) with me to help me look and diagnos the problem. So I crank it back up and now all of a sudden it goes into 1st, 2nd, 5th and reverse but still no 3rd or 4th(before it was suck in 5th the whole time). So my cousin takes a look at it and diagnos's it as the forks in the transmission are broke in half for the neutral gears(3rd & 4th). Which also would explain why I have a rattling/clunking/tapping sound in my transmission. Soo tommorow the car goes to the Chevrolet dealership to have warranty work done and I have already removed the B&M STS just to make sure I dont have any problems! I will update w/ further details when I bring the car in/get it back. You guys think I should drive it to the dealership or have it towed??

Yeah man, same ****** **** happened to me. Not even 2 months after I had my car, the ****** clutch went. I never want to smell burnt clutch again. Then a few weeks ago, my 3rd n 4rd gear grinded going into gear, and the night before I brought it in, I had my gf in the car, and I shift into 3rd, n its in nuetral, same thing for 4th. My forks were fucing snapped. They replaced i think 2 forks, 3rd and 4th gear synchros and a whole ton of shopping list goodies. Good looks on the Power Train warranty though . But All in all, the ****** clutches in the cobalts blow. When i blew it, the tow truck driver said that my car was the like the 5th balt they tower that week with a blown clutch. And I hate how the dealership asks u a shitload of questions when u know whats wrong and u tell them. I said my clutch was blown and they're like how do u know? Well it has a distinct smell and when ur in gear and the car isnt moving, ur fucked. lol. but yeah, shitty dude. But been there, done that, prolly be back there very soon. lol. Were u power shifting? Thats how I fucked my **** up in the first place. I learned quick, balts can't power shift,
Old 03-04-2007, 11:47 PM

Not to be an ass, folks, but if you abuse it, you're going to lose it. If you're playing "can't find it, grind it" on a regular basis when dragging, shouldn't be too surprised that you broke something.
And if you're experiencing enough wheel hop to crack the tranny case, maybe you didn't have enough support mods to handle the power you were putting down.
Just IMO, ya know? Not trying to say you all don't know what you're doing. Just saying that this is what it sounds like to me.
Good luck getting it fixed, Ranger. Hoping the best for your 'balt. Later.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by tim.t
Not to be an ass, folks, but if you abuse it, you're going to lose it. If you're playing "can't find it, grind it" on a regular basis when dragging, shouldn't be too surprised that you broke something.
And if you're experiencing enough wheel hop to crack the tranny case, maybe you didn't have enough support mods to handle the power you were putting down.
Just IMO, ya know? Not trying to say you all don't know what you're doing. Just saying that this is what it sounds like to me.
Good luck getting it fixed, Ranger. Hoping the best for your 'balt. Later.
Yea, I bought my car preowned and im pretty sure it was from the previous driver, but thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cobalt_driver
Yeah man, same ****** **** happened to me. Not even 2 months after I had my car, the ****** clutch went. I never want to smell burnt clutch again. Then a few weeks ago, my 3rd n 4rd gear grinded going into gear, and the night before I brought it in, I had my gf in the car, and I shift into 3rd, n its in nuetral, same thing for 4th. My forks were fucing snapped. They replaced i think 2 forks, 3rd and 4th gear synchros and a whole ton of shopping list goodies. Good looks on the Power Train warranty though . But All in all, the ****** clutches in the cobalts blow. When i blew it, the tow truck driver said that my car was the like the 5th balt they tower that week with a blown clutch. And I hate how the dealership asks u a shitload of questions when u know whats wrong and u tell them. I said my clutch was blown and they're like how do u know? Well it has a distinct smell and when ur in gear and the car isnt moving, ur fucked. lol. but yeah, shitty dude. But been there, done that, prolly be back there very soon. lol. Were u power shifting? Thats how I fucked my **** up in the first place. I learned quick, balts can't power shift,
so the stock clutches suck? I guess thats why my stock clutch has over 18,000 miles, @50 1/4 mile passes, and over 290 whp and has never slipped once... yeah thats pretty terrible for a stock clutch.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:51 AM
360 L337 User

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
so the stock clutches suck? I guess thats why my stock clutch has over 18,000 miles, @50 1/4 mile passes, and over 290 whp and has never slipped once... yeah thats pretty terrible for a stock clutch.
W3rd... i have 22000 miles, a bunch of mods, and i would say 20 passes 5 with DR's. no problems here.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are the LSD trannies failing?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:08 PM

I personally haven't seen one blow up yet.. seen 3 non lsd ones shoot the pin through the housing. but thats about it
Old 03-05-2007, 12:13 PM

Sorry to hear about your tranny man. Trust me when I say I know exavtly where you're standing right now as I just put mine all back together a couple weeks ago.

Distillion, my LSD trans broke third gear, but that was due to the shift linkage failing causing a few missed shifts ultimately breaking 3rd gear after the linkage was replaced.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
I havent had any problems w/ my clutch either, except when I got it from the previous owner and I have 36000 miles
Old 03-05-2007, 08:14 PM

I droped it off at the Dealership today, they wont be able to look at it until tommorow, I will update w/ I figure out more details. Hopefully this wont be a long process...
Old 03-05-2007, 08:46 PM

I wish you good luck man... dealerships around me won't fix anything drivetrain related under warranty
Old 03-05-2007, 08:52 PM

i had the same thing but with 2nd, if you miss 3rd or 4th alot when racing then the shift cable pins become loose and eventually break

Quick Reply: Stick a FORK in my Tranny b/c its DONE!!