Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Stock notchy shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock notchy shifter?

OK so it seems I'm starting another thread about shifters but this is about the stock one. Mine seems to be a little bit notchy - not bad but in terms when I shift into any gear it usually feels well "notchy" - and not as smooth as it should be.

I say this because I drove my friends car with a G85 package and it didn't seem as bad. I was wondering if anybody else encountered this is it how the stock shifter/tranny is - or maybe my linkage is already defected? Don't know but just trying to get a general idea of what everybody else has.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The G85 package should have no impact on shift feel at all. This is a cable system on our cars and not highly susceptible to deterioration short term. Assuming your car is broken in and that it has always felt this way, my only thought is that your cables could be slightly out of adjustment. Is the notchiness you feel, going into gear or from gate to gate?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:01 PM

i have a 2005 ls that does the same thing. Didnt' know it was called notchy, lol, but I know exactly what you mean. Mine seems that way going into gear. This is the only manual cobalt I have driven so wasnt sure if it was just mine or not.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:25 PM

Well I just used "notchy" to describe ti the best I could - I don't really know how to describe other than when you put it in any gear it just doesn't go down smoothly, it takes just a slight more push than it should.

I don't have the G85 package it's my friend who does just to clear that up. And soccer it's going into gear - but I think you might be right about the cables needing to be adjusted.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:48 PM

Hey Skitz, Do you have your stock clutch still? How many miles on the car? And is it safe to state your concern as high shift effort? Did you buy the car new? Is it possible that there has been a clutch change in the car even if it was a stock clutch for a stock clutch? Do you have high effort going into reverse?

I am trying to narrow down if you are having issues with the clutch being fully released verses simple variation from vehicle to vehicle with synchronizer loads.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:19 PM

Bought the car new on July 3rd. I bought it with 51 miles on the car and it has not had a clutch change - I asked had anything been done to the car when I bought it. So you can rule that out. I have a little under 1400 miles on the car and I drive pretty normally - didn't even get on it until about 600 miles into the car and even then not that hard.

But I know it's been like this from the begining. I think you were right about the cables - I don't think it's the clutch. I'm going in to get it serviced next week anyways - my cruise control stopped working so I was gonna have them check out the shifter as well.

It's a new car with some glitches on it, I was just wondering if anybody else was encoutering the same thing.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:39 AM

Skitz, I was just kidding, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes mine doesn't want to go into R. If I push it into 1st, then immediately into R it seems to do better. Please post what you find out when you take your car in. If it is fixed, I'll have to run mine in.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:56 AM

^^ That is because reverse isn't syncronized. All manual transmissions do that from time to time.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:41 PM

I also feel that the stock shifter is a bit notchy, but I dont think that its anythign that is a problem with the tranny or cables. My DSM was also very notchy, some trannys are, some trannys arent. Now my buddies civic, that had a nice smooth feel to it when shifting, almost effortless, although I hate to give any kind of honda props!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by cawpin
^^ That is because reverse isn't syncronized. All manual transmissions do that from time to time.
If the car is an SS/SC, reverse is synchronized.

Ljblue - You issue sounds different than what Skitz is having. On your issue, if your car is an SS/SC, then you may not be getting complete clutch release. If your car is not an SS/SC, then I would have to know if you are getting gear clash or if it is just hard to push into reverse. If you are getting gear clash, then you are trying to go into reverse before the gear set has had time to stop rotating. If it is just hard to push in, you are likely dealing with what is called tooth butt, which in some cases will prevent you from getting in without cycling the clutch or going into any forward gear.

Skitz - The issue with the cruise control not working, I had a stiuation where my curise kicked off or refused to come on. Cycled the ignition several times and it all worked again. That happened about 4 times where it would kick out on me and then later that day would begin to work again and have never had the problem since. I have 30K on my 06 SS/SC.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:34 PM

There is a TSB on 2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuits on the shifter.

I know mine is pretty annoying at times. Downshifting to first is always a chore, and second is occasionally impossible (but not usually a problem)
Old 08-03-2006, 04:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thatdaveguy
There is a TSB on 2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuits on the shifter.

I know mine is pretty annoying at times. Downshifting to first is always a chore, and second is occasionally impossible (but not usually a problem)
was there one on the chevrolet? and if so, anyone have the number?
Old 08-21-2006, 03:18 PM

Ok took it in to the dealership about a week ago and there conclusion was that it was fine. They checked everything out including shifter cables - etc... but they could not recreate the problem.

I've come to the conclusion that it is just a tougher transmission. Nothing ever felt rough or that the shifter would not actually go into gear - just "notchy". I just wanted to make sure. So I drove my friends Cobalt (w/ the G85) again to compare the shifters for a second time.

In my mind the last time I remember driving it felt really smooth compared to mine - but driving it again I noticed it was similar. It was still smoother but not as smooth as I had remembered.

So all is good, it just a tougher car to shift than others.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:32 PM

1 month old Cobalt LT, and my tranny is "notchy", clutch feels like it's grabbing higher, and the motor is chirping like it's running on red robins in there. Oh the luxuries of a not very well thought out bottum of the line GM. I'm already looking for my next car, lol.