Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Stupid Question....again....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stupid Question....again....

I guess I'll post this again, since my first post happened to disappear.

Well is it normal in the Balt's to be able to turn the steering wheel after the ignition has been turned off? I noticed it today because after I put the car in the garage, and I turned it off, the steering wheel jerked hard to the right. It jerked about a 1/4 of a turn hard. I then started moving the steering wheel, and I can turn it about one complete turn to the left before the steering wheel locks. When I turn it to the right, I can get almost a 3/4 of a turn before the steering wheel locks. I know from my dad's cars that the steering wheel locks after a small amount of play, when the ignition is off. But in my Balt I can literally turn the steering wheel and in turn the wheels either way for more than half a turn before the steering wheel locks. Is this normal or should I be concerned and take it to the dealer? Thanks.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't seem to put my finger on when it actually locks, I think it's when your wheels are at a certain angle. The whole purpose of locking the sterring wheel is, other then preventing the car getting stolen by someone with a towing, when you park in a hill... having your wheels turned towards the sidewalk will stop it from going downhill if the parking brake fails... so I guess the lock system doesn't work unless your wheels are at a certain angle.

just throwing this out there... it's a silly thoery but it's all I could think of.