Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

too much power... slipping clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright ladies and gents! I have a 2007 Cobalt SS/SC, has 6000km on it. I got my stage two installed today in the morning. Stage 2 install itself is awesome. However, as soon as I took it off the lot I got a little throttle happy and I did a quick little rip from first two second noticing that the clutch didn't connect and grip right away, it was like a little bit of slip and then about 1 1/2 seconds later it finally fully grabbed and the car was off, (foot totally off clutch), now this evening while I was cruising I gave a guy I run from a stop light and I basically spun the tires in first a bit mean while giving it full gas and then off gas, clutch down, second gear, and at the same time gas and off clutch, however though the clutch was completely slipping and had like 2% grip. I got the **** scared outa me and I instantly pressed the clutch and slowly braked and shifted into second gear and it grabbed fine. And so I took it home and drove normally without a problem. So if I drive the car normally, no problems, however as soon I drive it hard it slips. Last thing.... sometimes even when I go from a stop light as I let the clutch up (way prior to getting stage 2) the clutch would just slip for a split second so Im wondering if there mighta been something wrong with the clutch a slight bit ever since I had the car. So if anyone on here would be so kind as to help me out and give me some advice and knowledge or let me know if anyone out there with a stage 2 from gm is having the same problems... I ONLY have stage 2 installed, the intake is on order.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:52 AM

Alright ladies and gents! I have a 2007 Cobalt SS/SC, has 6000km on it. I got my stage two installed today in the morning. Stage 2 install itself is awesome. However, as soon as I took it off the lot I got a little throttle happy and I did a quick little rip from first two second noticing that the clutch didn't connect and grip right away, it was like a little bit of slip and then about 1 1/2 seconds later it finally fully grabbed and the car was off, (foot totally off clutch), now this evening while I was cruising I gave a guy I run from a stop light and I basically spun the tires in first a bit mean while giving it full gas and then off gas, clutch down, second gear, and at the same time gas and off clutch, however though the clutch was completely slipping and had like 2% grip. I got the **** scared outa me and I instantly pressed the clutch and slowly braked and shifted into second gear and it grabbed fine. And so I took it home and drove normally without a problem. So if I drive the car normally, no problems, however as soon I drive it hard it slips. Last thing.... sometimes even when I go from a stop light as I let the clutch up (way prior to getting stage 2) the clutch would just slip for a split second so Im wondering if there mighta been something wrong with the clutch a slight bit ever since I had the car. So if anyone on here would be so kind as to help me out and give me some advice and knowledge or let me know if anyone out there with a stage 2 from gm is having the same problems... I ONLY have stage 2 installed, the intake is on order.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:58 AM

Take it in and Bitch!
Old 05-05-2007, 01:12 AM

Oh, first thing tomorrow morning Im going to the dealership. Im just wondering if anyone else's clutchs after installing stage 2 slip at all....?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:17 AM

The clutch can handle the power of stage 2 as long as you don't ride it.
But ur saying it did it stock and I don't think you could have **** it up in one day unless you were beating the **** out of it. Which you don't you baby it so it should be covered but be firm with the manager if you have too and don't drive the car much till you get it to the dealer.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, just checking, but you read this thread right?

Secondly, I have read somewhere the Stage II tests the torque handling abilities of our stock clutches. Apparently the new torque levels are tough on the clutch and if your's already had issues, Stage II is only going to make it worse.

You can always take it into the dealership, but being that it's a clutch issues (wear item) they may tell you to pound sand...

Not that they should, but more than likely they will. Sorry. Try what was posted in that thread above and it may help.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:23 AM

No no, like I said I as soon as it totally had no grip I said **** it right away and went straight home. Tomorrow morning when I drive it, Im driving it to the dealership. But yeah the clutch very minorly slipped prior to stage 2 so I am honestly thinking something might have been wrong from dealership/factory. I hope I can just get a new one properly installed. If I am right, many guys have stage 2, intake, exhaust plus a few extra goodies and they are completely stock clutch right? and they have no problems....
Old 05-05-2007, 01:32 AM

Yeah, I understand what you mean, but what they are describing in that thread is exactly that issue. Many people in there were having problems stock without any additional power adders because they were shifting their car at a lower RPM most of the time.

I don't know what your driving habits are and how you currently shift your car so that's up to you to judge. Our clutches are very prone to glazing, which over time can cause the exact issue you are having right now. It is fixable by changing how you shift (at least most people seem to report that). By the way, have you seen this issue from day one or has it been only lately?

Again, not saying it's your fault. It could honestly be a bad clutch, but you will have a fight on your hands unless you have a really good dealership. By the way, if you are going to see them, try not to start it by blasting them. Speak with them politely and you may see some much better results then blowing up right at the start...
Old 05-05-2007, 01:47 AM

By to low rpm, how low is to low?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:55 AM

Normally I dont say this........ but there are about eleventy billion clutch slip threads that coul have easily answered your question...... this is the one time I say this but use the search button instead of making another thread.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by martinsmu
By to low rpm, how low is to low?
Well, according to this post, you should be always upshifting only after you've reached 3,000 RPM. It seems to prevent and even repair glazing that does happen on our cars. Read that post, honestly it's some of the best information you'll find on this entire site. Yes, there are tons of pages, but it's worth it to read all of them. I know I'm glad I read it while I still have 2,000 KM's on my car.

I know I was headed down the same road because other than a few times that I push the car, I like to treat it well. I now know that with this car, part of treating it well is never upshifting until I've reached 3k RPM's.

Originally Posted by chipmonk212121
Normally I dont say this........ but there are about eleventy billion clutch slip threads that coul have easily answered your question...... this is the one time I say this but use the search button instead of making another thread.
Lol, especially that one stickied at the top of the forum... Oh well, we all make mistakes.

Last edited by Routs; 05-05-2007 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-05-2007, 02:04 AM

Thanx roouts and sorry chipmunk. Never knew till now it actually made a difference. My bad
Old 05-05-2007, 02:08 AM

time to learn to drive with your new power thats all.

first thing: shift above 3k all the time. even daily driving.
it helps avoid clutch glazing.

second thing: learn what "relative speed" means.

IE when you spin the **** out of first, and your car says your doing 25mph.....your actually only doing 10mph.
then your redlined and slamming into second.........

to put this into perspective....

next time you go for a drive, start rolling at 10mph, shift to second, and rev to redline before you let the clutch out. and see what happens.
Cuz thats what happens when you shift to second after shredding first.

Then youll understand that its actually a driver related issue that you can correct.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by martinsmu
Thanx roouts and sorry chipmunk. Never knew till now it actually made a difference. My bad
No problem man, we really are all here to help out. If we save a few more clutches this way, then so be it.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:29 AM

Like I know how to power shift and not be to to hard on the tranny. I know all about the "if you spin and the speedo is saying your going 25, but your going 15 in reality." But I honestly never know about the cluch glazing!!

anyways thanx alot guys, I'll keep it over 3K, and since my GF and I are preatty much swapping cars for the summer, I'll let hre know to wait till over 3K to shift
Old 05-05-2007, 10:48 AM

Oh gosh, did it ever smell horrible right after the clutch lost all grip, I pulled over in a parking lot and lifted the hood. Smelled like grinding metal. I hope that just my driving style can fix this problem. But if not... I hope the dealer can do something about it.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:58 AM

ok first off....I had this same problem got my stage 2 installed raced my buddy from a dig shifted at 6900 and on to second and my clutch slipped bad....People on here started telling me to shift on regular driving at 3000 rpms no matter what and it wont slip and it really wont....been doing this now for a couple weeks....Also you need to make sure when you drive these cars that you dont ride your clutch as in your foot rests on the clutch after already shifting and being in gear cuz that will cause problems also
Old 05-05-2007, 11:07 AM

hmmm... yeah thats pretty well what happened last night I just was doing like 20km/h in first and then gunned it and the wheels slipped stupidly went to redline fast and then I shifted into second and the clutch had zero grip. So yeah I was scared... it never did that before. So your saying even when driving hard switch into second between 3000-4000 still?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:51 PM

nooooooo no no
just regular driving.

if your gunning it still shift at redline....but MAKE SURE if your in first that you didnt just spin all the way to redline or your clutch will hate you when you shift.

Be certain when your shifting to second that you have traction at the top of first.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by a_bal
hmmm... yeah thats pretty well what happened last night I just was doing like 20km/h in first and then gunned it and the wheels slipped stupidly went to redline fast and then I shifted into second and the clutch had zero grip. So yeah I was scared... it never did that before. So your saying even when driving hard switch into second between 3000-4000 still?
The problem is if you are frying your tires in first and near redline and then slam your car into second the motor is going too fast compared to the RPM you end up into second. You will need to learn how to control your wheel spin a little before jumping into second really quickly.

As for shifting when driving hard, no, no one is saying you have to always shift between 3000 and 4000, just that the minimum you should shift at is 3000 RPM. By the way, if you are always flooring your car and slamming it from gear to gear, you better start looking into buying an aftermarket clutch. I would be floored if GM did replace the clutch for you on warranty. They do not typically replace clutches on warranty (it's a wear item) and unfortunately, your age will be a factor in what they determine.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:03 PM

I have an 07 that has been beat on for it's first 630 miles by GM for their Ride and Drive car at the NOPI shows and races. She was the prototype for the 07 stg kits, (first 07 to have stg2) and she now has almost 16K on the stock clutch. The only time I have had a real issue with her slippin is when driving in alot of stop and go traffic then gettin into a lil action, I'm figuring by then that the clutch is crazy heated up and that's my issue.

You just have to learn to adjust your driving style a bit to compensate for the style clutch that these cars have. I can see having to do my clutch by the end of summer though. lol..
Old 05-05-2007, 02:44 PM

Like... most of the time I drive like an old grandma. No word of lies! However, like mentioned yesterday I got stage 2 and yeah when I really do floor it in first the whole time the wheels slip and then when I knock it into second the engines revs but the clutch has no grip. But... prior to getting stage two sometimes when I would normally accelerate it would slip for a split second starting in first. Soo... yeah I got an appointment on Monday morning for my car. I went to the dealership today!!
Old 05-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by an0malous
nooooooo no no
just regular driving.

if your gunning it still shift at redline....but MAKE SURE if your in first that you didnt just spin all the way to redline or your clutch will hate you when you shift.

Be certain when your shifting to second that you have traction at the top of first.
Exactly what i do. I can spin first, keep it spinning till i start getting traction and once i grip instantly slam second and start spinning or start pulling.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:03 PM

I learned how to drive a stick when I was 15 and my dad always told me to shift at 3000rpms and above, and unless I'm drivin an F1, I should only downshift to speed. I have always driven like this and have never had a clutch problem. As far as the Cobalt I push her pretty hard (not to redline though) and have no problems with slippage or clutch wear. Granted I only have 12000kms on the car. just sayin....
Old 05-05-2007, 07:58 PM

Same... I have never driven automatic lol... I learned as soon as I turned 16. But yeah... my clutch never ever slips. ONLY, when I floor the car in first and shift into second right away. It just ******* won't grip, just slips and then smells horrible and gets me all worried....

Quick Reply: too much power... slipping clutch??