Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Tranny/engine mount wear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny/engine mount wear?

I thought I saw something a while back about a tranny mount insert that crumbled after being installed for some time, but I cant find it now...

Anyways, with a set of inserts or new mounts, how long do these usually last?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Johnboy12358
I thought I saw something a while back about a tranny mount insert that crumbled after being installed for some time, but I cant find it now...

your thinking of the control arm bushings. the tranny bushings dont break apart
Old 11-10-2008, 11:05 PM

ahh, that would explain why i cant find anything... I guess replacing those isnt needed?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm too JDM for you

ahh, that would explain why i cant find anything... I guess replacing those isnt needed?
not needed but the make the car feel a lot better, i wouldnt put poly CAB's anyway. if your looking for some CAB's that are really good and wont rip apart to pieces, there is gonna be something real good coming out from Italianjoe1 here on css
Old 11-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
not needed but the make the car feel a lot better, i wouldnt put poly CAB's anyway. if your looking for some CAB's that are really good and wont rip apart to pieces, there is gonna be something real good coming out from Italianjoe1 here on css
Spherical?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 PM

What about the tranny mounts, will they wear out after so many miles and need to be replaced?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Banned

Never seen them wear out.

BTW, if you're looking for a set, I have a ZZP side engine mount AND zzp tranny bushing inserts. Both are in excellent condition.

If you're interested let me know, not looking to make a killing off them.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
there is gonna be something real good coming out from Italianjoe1 here on css

Waiting to hear what this is......not poly, but real good...... Not too many other choices, If its Delrin(or other composite) and/or spherical, well......I wouldnt call that real good for the street and lets not forget :already been done:
Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 AM

the mounts i do ast forever rotate the engine and take away power hop, also no vibes. contact OTT performance.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm too JDM for you

Originally Posted by Maven
Waiting to hear what this is......not poly, but real good...... Not too many other choices, If its Delrin(or other composite) and/or spherical, well......I wouldnt call that real good for the street and lets not forget :already been done:
i dont want to let the cat out of the bag for him, but they are very streetable and serviceable if the bearing were to wear out one day. PM italianjoe1, he might give you more info
Old 11-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by qwikredline
the mounts i do ast forever rotate the engine and take away power hop, also no vibes. contact OTT performance.
Even with that tranny mount mod, you still have engine/drivetrain movement. So yes you may have eliminated wheel hop, but you still have movement which is taking engine torque away.

Solid mounts eliminate wheel hop and also stop engine movement, maximizing torque to the wheels.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Even with that tranny mount mod, you still have engine/drivetrain movement. So yes you may have eliminated wheel hop, but you still have movement which is taking engine torque away.

Solid mounts eliminate wheel hop and also stop engine movement, maximizing torque to the wheels.
In the interest of explain to folks all the facts around motor mounts, I would be grateful if you would please explain how torque is taken away under load. If the engine moves at all it stops at some point. Lets say 5 mm. heck 10mm of movement, then presumably it stops moving or the engine falls out of the car.So what of torque now? I am sorry but it seems to me this argument is flawed....thanks for your input
Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Banned

Solid mounts also put un-needed strain and stress on the tranny case and engine mounting points. Lets not forget the ghetto vibes that solid mounts give you.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
it stops at some point. Lets say 5 mm. heck 10mm of movement, then presumably it stops moving or the engine falls out of the car.So what of torque now?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor

In the interest of explain to folks all the facts around motor mounts, I would be grateful if you would please explain how torque is taken away under load. If the engine moves at all it stops at some point. Lets say 5 mm. heck 10mm of movement, then presumably it stops moving or the engine falls out of the car.So what of torque now? I am sorry but it seems to me this argument is flawed....thanks for your input
I think you need to do a search, google and yahoo have a lot of great information. Also you can check out prothane and energy suspension websites...
Old 11-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

I think you need to do a search, google and yahoo have a lot of great information. Also you can check out prothane and energy suspension websites...

Shouldn't you be doing work instead of trying to bash another vendors product??
Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by camarokiller
Shouldn't you be doing work instead of trying to bash another vendors product??
How is our statement bashing? We suggested a search to find his info. It has already been stated 1,000 of places online.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:26 PM

thanks i did that and NOWHERE does it show data to indicate that torque is lost in transfer to the ground due to flex in a motor mount so please help here thank you
Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Former Vendor

Look some more, you only searched for about 10 minutes, maybe take some time and learn, it might take you an hour or two.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Banned

Look some more, you only searched for about 10 minutes, maybe take some time and learn, it might take you an hour or two.

Or you could just show everyone this proof you speak of...
Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 PM

i keep hearing about prothane and solid mounts.
ive tried solid, my buddies tried the prothane.
ALL caused false knock through almost the entire power band when logged.

Technically, its the mounts causing this due to the stiffness of the compund, but the pcm is still pulling timing and your losing performance, thanks to our lovely sensitive knock sensor

We cured this by going back to the stock hardware or swapping the trans mounts with a softer compound and this helped wheel hop alot!

After testing, logs showed no more false knock and ofcourse tha means timing is not being pulled hence performance was back to where it should be.

Now, other than that, ive never heard of excessive engine movment depleting tq.
This is news to me.

Im not trying to be ignorant or rude, im simply stating what ive been through thus far as far as mounts/wheelhop is concerned.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:43 PM

Aaron you really are an interesting individual. You have no data to support your statements but stand ready to to criticize everyone else even other vendors, for not showing data themselves. I guess you have been found out. I believe that you have shown that you cannot support your claims of lost torque through normal GM OEM power train movement, and so conclude that your claims are not well founded.

Power hop is a separate issue that the video from Jimbo showed the OTTP mounts sure handled that pretty much. As for vibrations, you have indicated your mounts vibrate and your customers either like it or do not.

But frankly any further discussion on this subject will probably be canceled on this forum by the mods as you may need their help.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:44 PM

there is the location of knock sensor and apparantly its for all ecotecs, (2.2, 2.4, 2.0 supercharged) not sure about the LNF though.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by distillion
i keep hearing about prothane and solid mounts.
ive tried solid, my buddies tried the prothane.
ALL caused false knock through almost the entire power band when logged.

Technically, its the mounts causing this due to the stiffness of the compund, but the pcm is still pulling timing and your losing performance, thanks to our lovely sensitive knock sensor

We cured this by going back to the stock hardware or swapping the trans mounts with a softer compound and this helped wheel hop alot!

After testing, logs showed no more false knock and ofcourse tha means timing is not being pulled hence performance was back to where it should be.

Now, other than that, ive never heard of excessive engine movment depleting tq.
This is news to me.

Im not trying to be ignorant or rude, im simply stating what ive been through thus far as far as mounts/wheelhop is concerned.

good post; the issue of pulling spark through vibration is not new, but you have correctly raised the issue in this case as it is pertinent to the discussion. Again the isolation the OTTP mounts provide take care of this. And the rotation takes care of the root cause. And as you are Canadian you lucky guy you can buy from us here in Port perry if you wish cheap shipping and not get strung out by the weak Casnadian dollar.... at least weak this week...
Old 11-19-2008, 03:29 AM
Banned

Aaron you really are an interesting individual. You have no data to support your statements but stand ready to to criticize everyone else even other vendors, for not showing data themselves. I guess you have been found out. I believe that you have shown that you cannot support your claims of lost torque through normal GM OEM power train movement, and so conclude that your claims are not well founded.

Power hop is a separate issue that the video from Jimbo showed the OTTP mounts sure handled that pretty much. As for vibrations, you have indicated your mounts vibrate and your customers either like it or do not.

But frankly any further discussion on this subject will probably be canceled on this forum by the mods as you may need their help.
For what it's worth - when I had my stock mounts the clutch engagement felt sloppy as hell, and the solid mounts took care of it. Having the stock mounts in as opposed to polys allows more engine movement, so even if it's turned, the engine will still rock and lose some power delivery as you're letting the clutch out.

And to be honest that video sounded just like my car does on a launch.