Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Tranny Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Mounts

What is the difference between these two mounts. (1)One is just inserts and the bushing and the other (2) is billet and the inset? like what is the difference? Which one should I go with?
Here are the links, take a look and let me know the difference:
(1)http://www.turbotechracing.com/produ...dcategory=5615
(2)http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=526&catid=146
Old 01-18-2009, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by krazycobalt
What is the difference between these two mounts. (1)One is just inserts and the bushing and the other (2) is billet and the inset? like what is the difference? Which one should I go with?
Neither, get these: http://www.ottperformance.com/Cobalt...duct_info.html
Old 01-18-2009, 03:37 AM

That looks ******* confusing.... So what is better about those than the ones I posted?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:44 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by Black SS/SC 06
That looks ******* confusing.... So what is better about those than the ones I posted?
Nothing is better about the ones that you posted. They both suck. The ZZP ones just come with a pretty billet mount... the TTR ones are just the inserts. Both will vibrate you all to hell.

Buy the rotated mounts from OTTP. They serve a purpose... read the build book if you don't believe me.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:47 AM

Okay well that cool that ****, I guess thats why we have a forum haha. So I dont really understand these from OTT can someone explain?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Okay well that cool that ****, I guess thats why we have a forum haha. So I dont really understand these from OTT can someone explain?
What is it that you don't understand?

On a regular SS/SC Trans mount... the hole for the bolt is right in the middle. On OTTP's rotated mounts, the hole is in a very specific spot, designed to rotate the motor, which in turn move the positioning/angle of the axles, eliminating wheel hop - and the majority of axle problems, etc etc etc.

There... that is a dumbified down version without all the technical jargon.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:58 AM

Thanks dude so all in all these are a **** load better then buy plain poly inserts? So am I right in assuming that you either need to send you mount in or buy a whole new one?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:08 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Thanks dude so all in all these are a **** load better then buy plain poly inserts? So am I right in assuming that you either need to send you mount in or buy a whole new one?
Yes... it looks like they have a Core Charge system going on.

So you either:

a.) Order the mounts paying core charge, receive them, install, send in your stockers, receive core charge back.

or

b.) Order mounts w/o paying core charge, send your stockers in, receive updated mounts, install.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:36 AM

Hmm so you can just send in you old one and they keep them for someone else kinda thing? Also what do most people go with stg.1 or 2?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:55 AM

personally, i say if your spending the money, you might as well get the best their is... stg2 ftw
Old 01-18-2009, 05:07 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Hmm so you can just send in you old one and they keep them for someone else kinda thing? Also what do most people go with stg.1 or 2?
Yes... they use your old mounts to make the new mounts.

Stg1 is all that you will probably NEED...
Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 PM

Okay so.... is stage one only replace one of the tranny mounts while stg.2 replaces both? Is that correct to assume. Also what do you think of the upper motor mount over ingalls?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Okay so.... is stage one only replace one of the tranny mounts while stg.2 replaces both? Is that correct to assume. Also what do you think of the upper motor mount over ingalls?
You are correct.

Stg1 replaces the front motor mount and puts a spacer on the rear. Stg 2 replaces both.

With the OTTP Rotated mounts, you do not need an Upper Motor Mount, and I strongly recommend that you do not put one on - bad.

Take that junk ass Ingall's off of there too. Once you have Trans mounts, the ingall's become obsolete.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Will the OTT rotated mounts work on a auto cobalt?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bought my stage 1 ottp mount on tuesday should be here soon research + cash = car life
Old 01-18-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by MP Cobalt
Will the OTT rotated mounts work on a auto cobalt?
I would think not, but you shouldn't be wheel-hopping anyway. I know i don't....
Old 01-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by recklessactn
bought my stage 1 ottp mount on tuesday should be here soon research + cash = car life
Sweet I wanna hear how you like them. Im doing engine/tranny mounts next.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:32 PM

So... why is there no point in having a upper motor mount with the tranny mounts? why is that bad?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
So... why is there no point in having a upper motor mount with the tranny mounts? why is that bad?
Some dont like the vibrations.

Some have the Upper mount and prothane/TTR tranny bushings, some have just the OTT tranny mounts no upper mount, some have the Upper mount and OTT tranny mounts.

Just depends on what you would like.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 PM

Hmmm what would be the result in the different mixtures? what about OTT tranny mounts and ingalls ?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Hmmm what would be the result in the different mixtures? what about OTT tranny mounts and ingalls ?
IMO i would either do just the OTT mounts, or the TTR mount and OTT mounts.

Ingalls IMO does not work very well, many have had the brackets bend on the Ingalls.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
IMO i would either do just the OTT mounts, or the TTR mount and OTT mounts.
Ingalls IMO does not work very well, many have had the brackets bend on the Ingalls.
QFT! Just ordered my TTR Engine Mount
Old 01-18-2009, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
I would think not, but you shouldn't be wheel-hopping anyway. I know i don't....
I kno but i dont want the vibs that i get from the inserts.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:27 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

1.) Because the lower rotated trans mounts solve the problem of wheel hop... so there is now no reason for anything else. Unless you like the added vibrations that TTR's upper mount will give you.

2.) The rotated mounts do just that... they rotate the engine. Having the softer, stock upper mounts allows you to do this safely. Having a hard mount like TTR's that is made to run at the stock engine angle becomes "dangerous" when running the rotated mounts.

This is from someone that helped build a very fast, multi-colored Cobalt that won a big timed event :

You can use a ttr mount but it may break your lower mounts.

I have posted the information over and over; to tell you the truth, you may have missed the posts on css and RLF. The included angle output shaft center line of trans to input shaft at centerline of hub bearing at ride height is 17 degrees on an SS/SC/TC. The axle doesnt like that. The car was designed for the AT trans. So by moving the trans output shaft back the axle when it is more or less straight as it moves up and down, has a better time transmitting power. The top mounts are soft, so that allows movement without spending more money.

To do it 100% correct, you need to face the trans mount flange that bolts to the block on the passenger side. But it doesnt appear to matter so i dont do it anymore. The passenger side mount the two big bolts need to be loosened off and then re-tightened with the new mounts installed, there is a humungous amount of hole there to allow for easy assembly and that helps us. The drivers side bushing is made of silly putty so it doesnt care at all. The TTR poly bushings or anyone elses dont work because they dont fix the root cause number 1 and number 2 they vibrate as they dont have a voided isolation bushing.

Some dont like the vibrations.

Some have the Upper mount and prothane/TTR tranny bushings, some have just the OTT tranny mounts no upper mount, some have the Upper mount and OTT tranny mounts.

Just depends on what you would like.
It has been proven time and time again that OTTP's rotated mounts solve the problem of wheel hop. So there is really no need to buy any other mount (IE: an upper motor mount). And as I said before running your upper mount with OTTP's Rotated Mounts in NOT a good idea... too much stress.

I'm not trying to bash you guys or anything. Your upper mount is a great add on for Poly Inserts and it look pretty damn good... but it is a risky add on with rotated mounts.

As I said before... and as TTR said... the ingall's is junk. JUNK. Plain and Simple. If you have one now... sell it. I had one with INTENSE's poly inserts. Ran it that way for 1 year. One day... while at the track, I took the Ingall's off to see if it made a difference... and it didn't.

Sold it a week later and NEVER missed it. That was a year ago.

Originally Posted by MP Cobalt
I kno but i dont want the vibs that i get from the inserts.
If the entire Trans mount (Metal bracket and all) is the same between the Auto and Manual, then these will work.

But... in all honesty... you shouldn't need them. IIRC, the auto puts the Axles at a different angle than the manual trans does. You should be fine with stock mounts.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
1.)
As I said before... and as TTR said... the ingall's is junk. JUNK. Plain and Simple. If you have one now... sell it. I had one with INTENSE's poly inserts. Ran it that way for 1 year. One day... while at the track, I took the Ingall's off to see if it made a difference... and it didn't.

Sold it a week later and NEVER missed it. That was a year ago.
Yea im ditching my ingalls as well. All it seems to do is prevent the car from stalling out lol. Hopefully the TTR mount will help me a little. I am getting the Rotated Trans Mounts eventually.

Quick Reply: Tranny Mounts