Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Tranny oil color?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny oil color?

Someone on the other forums has stated their Ion Redline transmission is leaking red fluid. As far as I knew it was standard amber oil colored. What color is the stock / GM official transmission oil for a Cobalt SS/SC?

I'm kinda curious about the other ones too to see if there's a difference, but make sure you note what car you have.

Cheers.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 AM

auto tranny fluid
Old 11-21-2008, 11:55 AM

every tranny fluid I've seen has been red
Old 11-21-2008, 11:55 AM

Ya its red...
Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Banned

The SS/SC uses 75W90 gear oil - the stuff I put in was amber in color. I'm wondering if the GM stuff has a color additive.

Edit: It appears it does. Alrighty.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 AM

I know Dextron VI for the automatics is red. I know for sure since I have ripped off 2 transmission pans in the past 2 years. O.O
Old 11-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kkanowitz
I know Dextron VI for the automatics is red. I know for sure since I have ripped off 2 transmission pans in the past 2 years. O.O
Good info. I think the non SS manuals use Dextron as well.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:01 PM

i could have sworn all cobalt models regardless of manual or auto used auto tranny fluid.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:35 PM

You should be using dextron....
Old 11-21-2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by SS/SCking
You should be using dextron....
First thing, it's DEXRON!!! DEXRON VI is the latest ATF that replaces the previous DEXRON III in all GM Automatic transmissions. If you have a manual transmission that lists DEXRON III as the proper lube, GM wants you to use a manual transmission lubricant and NOT DEXRON VI. If your owners manual says to use DEXRON VI in your manual transmission then it is OK to use it.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dainslaif
The SS/SC uses 75W90 gear oil - the stuff I put in was amber in color. I'm wondering if the GM stuff has a color additive.

Edit: It appears it does. Alrighty.

Thanks for looking into this for me Dainslaif. Really appreciate it.

Im the guy btw :P
Old 11-21-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, the F35 uses 75w90 in the transmission. As far as it being red, I dont' think so. The oil I just bought from GM that is the stock fill is not red, it is amber as any 75w90 gear oil should be.

If he has red fluid leaking down the transmission my guess would be that it is dexcool, either a coolant system leak or IC system leak.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:37 PM

It doesn't feel like dex cool, its way to thick.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It is possible that the oil is brownish (as oil gets when it has been used) and has kind of a red tint to it. That is the only thing I can think. The only actual red fluid that is in a cobalt is the dexcool. I guess it could be possible that someone put dexron in the transmission, but if that were the case it would not be good.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:06 PM

Last person to put oil in it was the dealer. Who knows with them.

Someone on IRL forums mentioned axle seals?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
All Cobalt transmissions use Dexron VI except for the SC/TC cars, they use a unique fluid which is actually 75w90 gear oil(this is usually dark honey colored) The Ions use Dexron VI except for the IRLs and any that may have a CVT
Old 11-21-2008, 09:59 PM

just swap it out for royal purple and all will be merry
Old 11-21-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HEY be careful with the information: here it is

M35 = 75w90 NOT ATF not red
M23 = ATF Dextron etc..
Most other transmissions from GM T56 etc ATF.

lubes for M35 GL4-5

GL-4: Specified for hypoid gear service without shock loading, but still moderate to severe
service (high speed/low torque and low speed/high torque). These lubes may be used in manual
transmissions and transaxles where EP additives are acceptable and typically contain a different
zinc additive combination. This classification is still commonly used, but is also obsolete. It
is also a commonly specified for marine outboard and stern drive lower unit gears and bearings
where the manufacturer specifies GL-4 rated performance. GL-4 rates lubes are not recommended as
a replacement for GL-5 rated lubes. "GL-5 rated lubes shows significantly better anti-wear
(anti-score) properties than GL-4 rated oils under similar service conditions"

GL-5: Specified for hypoid gears under shock loading and severe service operating conditions
used in cars and trucks. This is the most common and widely used specification today. These
lubes have a high level of EP additives and, depending on the manufacturer and formulation, could
be mildly corrosive to non-ferrous parts in certain applications.

that ends the broadcast from work headquarters:lolM35 TRANSMISSION SPECS
Type: transverse front wheel drive, five
speed manual transaxle ( optional
with limited slip differential )
Engine range: 2.0L I-4 supercharged
Maximum engine torque: 200 lb-ft ( 271 Nm )
Maximum gearbox torque: 258 lb-ft ( 350 Nm )
Gear ratios: MU3
First: 3.38
Second: 1.76
Third: 1.18
Fourth: 0.89
Fifth: 0.7
Reverse: 3.17
Final Drive 4.05
Maximum validated gross vehicle weight: 5071 lb ( 2300 kg )
Case material: aluminum
Center distance: 76.5 mm
Fluid type: Castrol BOT 0063
Transmission weight: 45 kg ( 99 lb )
Fluid capacity (approximate): 1.7L / 2.0 qt ( dry )
Power take off: no
Applications: Chevrolet Cobalt SS
Saturn Ion Red Line
Old 11-21-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
HEY be careful with the information: here it is

M35 = 75w90 NOT ATF not red
M23 = ATF Dextron etc..
Most other transmissions from GM T56 etc ATF.

lubes for M35 GL4-5

GL-4: Specified for hypoid gear service without shock loading, but still moderate to severe
service (high speed/low torque and low speed/high torque). These lubes may be used in manual
transmissions and transaxles where EP additives are acceptable and typically contain a different
zinc additive combination. This classification is still commonly used, but is also obsolete. It
is also a commonly specified for marine outboard and stern drive lower unit gears and bearings
where the manufacturer specifies GL-4 rated performance. GL-4 rates lubes are not recommended as
a replacement for GL-5 rated lubes. "GL-5 rated lubes shows significantly better anti-wear
(anti-score) properties than GL-4 rated oils under similar service conditions"

GL-5: Specified for hypoid gears under shock loading and severe service operating conditions
used in cars and trucks. This is the most common and widely used specification today. These
lubes have a high level of EP additives and, depending on the manufacturer and formulation, could
be mildly corrosive to non-ferrous parts in certain applications.

that ends the broadcast from work headquarters:lolM35 TRANSMISSION SPECS
Type: transverse front wheel drive, five
speed manual transaxle ( optional
with limited slip differential )
Engine range: 2.0L I-4 supercharged
Maximum engine torque: 200 lb-ft ( 271 Nm )
Maximum gearbox torque: 258 lb-ft ( 350 Nm )
Gear ratios: MU3
First: 3.38
Second: 1.76
Third: 1.18
Fourth: 0.89
Fifth: 0.7
Reverse: 3.17
Final Drive 4.05
Maximum validated gross vehicle weight: 5071 lb ( 2300 kg )
Case material: aluminum
Center distance: 76.5 mm
Fluid type: Castrol BOT 0063
Transmission weight: 45 kg ( 99 lb )
Fluid capacity (approximate): 1.7L / 2.0 qt ( dry )
Power take off: no
Applications: Chevrolet Cobalt SS
Saturn Ion Red Line
The May 2007 issue of TECH Link which General Motors sends to all dealers had the following article on DEXRON VI.

In early 2005, General Motors released a newly developed automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for the factory fill of all GM Powertrain stepped-gear automatic transmissions. The new fluid provides significantly improved performance in terms of friction durability, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control and oxidation resistance. In addition, the fluid has the potential to enable improved fuel economy and extended drain intervals. Because the performance of the new fluid far exceeded that of the DEXRON-III service-fill fluids available at the time, it became necessary to upgrade the DEXRON service-fill specification in order to ensure that similar fluids were available in the market for service situations. This latest upgrade to the service- fill specification is designated DEXRON-VI (fig. 1).

Since General Motors introduced the first ATF service-fill specification in 1949, it has been necessary to upgrade the specification periodically.

The upgrading process ensures that available service-fill fluids are of an appropriate quality for use in transmissions that have been designed around the factory-fill fluid performance.

TIP: As with previous upgrades, DEXRON-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. More importantly, earlier type fluids are not forward compatible with transmission hardware that was designed to use DEXRON-VI fluid.

DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. All current calibrations and certification tests are now conducted with DEXRON-VI ATF. DEXRON-III fluids should not be used for those applications where the owner manual recommends the use of DEXRON-VI.

TIP: GM does not license or support obsolete ATF specifications or the use of fluids that are being marketed against cancelled specifications.

All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, GM will support only DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Avoid fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in
DEXRON-III applications” or similar wording. DEXRON-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications.

The use of unlicensed fluids and/or non-GM approved aftermarket additives may prove detrimental to transmission performance and void warranty coverage.

- Thanks to (Name Removed)
Precaution: DEXRON-VI in Manual Transmissions

When DEXRON-III is indicated as the fluid fill for manual transmissions and transfer cases, DO NOT use DEXRON-VI. Instead, use GM Manual Transmission Fluid p/n 88861800 in these components.

TIP: Refer to PIP3836B (Feb. 2007).

If the manual transmission or transfer case indicates use of DEXRON-VI, then, of course, it should be used.

Purging Equipment

Before filling your bulk fluid equipment with DEXRON-VI, be sure to purge the old oil from it.

Also, be sure to purge your J-45096 Transflow machine before using it with DEXRON-VI.