Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Tranny passed away last night...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to bring back a really old thread... but i was intrested in seeing if anyone has suffered any major tranny problems and this was the only one i saw...

I just kinda wanted to post pictures of what happens when a differential fails and what happend to the tranny in my 3000gt.....

Old 04-02-2008, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by ooeygooey
Sorry to bring back a really old thread... but i was intrested in seeing if anyone has suffered any major tranny problems and this was the only one i saw...

I just kinda wanted to post pictures of what happens when a differential fails and what happend to the tranny in my 3000gt.....

Dam thats nasty..
Old 04-02-2008, 01:41 AM

yeah... that happend about a month and a half after i got my license... and pretty much the same time this year.. my motor blew, i broke a rod from what i can see right now.. i'll be posting pictures on that progess as it moves along..... anddd thats why i went and bought a cobalt so now i'm in these forums and i'm loving it so far!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:32 AM

yeah... that happend about a month and a half after i got my license... and pretty much the same time this year.. my motor blew, i broke a rod from what i can see right now.. i'll be posting pictures on that progess as it moves along..... anddd thats why i went and bought a cobalt so now i'm in these forums and i'm loving it so far!
Welcome to the board my friend..
Old 04-02-2008, 05:52 AM

Did you win? =) Looks like it was fun none the less.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:59 PM

i wasent racing.... i was driving home lol
Old 04-02-2008, 05:07 PM

oh. lol. dont feel bad... dude... must be something with the cavi/sunfire thing. My tranny died when I was pulling from a sunfire. 3rd went out, destroyed the clutch, and broke the axle. All at once. =)
Old 04-02-2008, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yellowshowbalt
you do not need special tools to do this you njust need to know what you are doing.. btw do you want to sell your junk trans ill buy it ive blow 3 transmissions and my last one was the diff shooting out of the case i need a case.
Um, highly doubt the SS/SC tranny case will fit a 2.2 transmission considering they're made by completely different manufacturers.

I'm guessing that's why you think the SS/SC transmission doesn't require special tools. It does. To my knowledge, the 2.2/2.4 transmission does not.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:15 AM

just an update...i got screwed..told them i couldnt afford to pay them ****...to make sure there is nothing they can see that can void my warranty b4 taking my tranny down, it passed, took the tranny out noticed the cracked case and said oh ur warranty is voided and look at your down pipe its bent, hey thats caused from torque young man! well i could have sued probably but i didnt have time for that ****. they knew the tranny case was cracked, they said i wheel hopped and cracked the case just like the tsb on it. completely ignoring the fact that i broke a gear. and im sure there might be some bitches from that dealer lurking on here but **** em! charged me $550 just to tell me that...
Old 04-03-2008, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by badboylb32
just an update...i got screwed..told them i couldnt afford to pay them ****...to make sure there is nothing they can see that can void my warranty b4 taking my tranny down, it passed, took the tranny out noticed the cracked case and said oh ur warranty is voided and look at your down pipe its bent, hey thats caused from torque young man! well i could have sued probably but i didnt have time for that ****. they knew the tranny case was cracked, they said i wheel hopped and cracked the case just like the tsb on it. completely ignoring the fact that i broke a gear. and im sure there might be some bitches from that dealer lurking on here but **** em! charged me $550 just to tell me that...
that sucks man. i had the same problem with warrenty work. My clutch blew when i had 12000 km on it. And my 2.2 was bone stock. I never road the clutch or did burnouts. I got the car in december and it blew in march. They said abuse. Im like abuse it's winter WTF. they wanted 3000. im like no way and i was going to take it back and put a stg2 (cost 400) and 400-500 to install. So they are like ok it will cost you 1800 to take it back right now. We had fights with them for 2 months. with my car sitting there. Finally they owner said he'd do it for 1000. After two months of fighting and cops being called on us because we lost our cool and said stuff we shouldn't have said. The owner never knew all this was going on. You think the parts department would have told him. The guy who sold me the car finally talked to him and said you need to help these people out. The guy that put my new clutch in looked like he worked at pizza hut. lol.

i really hope things with the LNF are going to be alot better. hope they fixed all these kinks.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:30 PM

Damn, so do you still have no tranny? or did you end up just paying out your ass for a new one?

My 2nd gear synchro is going bad already. My car has 15,000 miles on it.. They better warranty that ****.

When will GM realize they cant make shitty, unrealiable cars, and then try to **** over thier customers by not warrantying. Im sure if you knew you were going to end up paying 24000 for your car in the end. you would have bought a WRX

I now know why nobody wants GM cars anymore....
Old 04-03-2008, 04:04 PM

damn dude.. you really did get screwed over i would contacted a lawyer or something and seen what they had to say about, or just tell the dealer that you will be seeing them in court or something
Old 04-04-2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by effex80
Damn, so do you still have no tranny? or did you end up just paying out your ass for a new one?

My 2nd gear synchro is going bad already. My car has 15,000 miles on it.. They better warranty that ****.

When will GM realize they cant make shitty, unrealiable cars, and then try to **** over thier customers by not warrantying. Im sure if you knew you were going to end up paying 24000 for your car in the end. you would have bought a WRX

I now know why nobody wants GM cars anymore....
LMAO WRONG car to offer up for better reliability and ESPECIALLY better warranty. Perhaps no one remembers the big stink about 3 years ago.....Subaru gave new WRX and STi owners a FREE 1-year membership to the SCCA so that they could "really enjoy the car", then paid people to search SCCA results on the internet and voided the warranty of each and every person they found that had taken advantage of the membership and gone auto-xing.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
Not to mention the fact that WRX trannies are COMPLETE ****. If you thought our's were bad... hell, there have been 6 WRX trannies blown up in the last 2 years in my town! And when I say blown up... I mean the gears literally EXPLODED.

Like a Grenade.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Not to mention the fact that WRX trannies are COMPLETE ****. If you thought our's were bad... hell, there have been 6 WRX trannies blown up in the last 2 years in my town! And when I say blown up... I mean the gears literally EXPLODED.

Like a Grenade.
Seen that happen as well. And he's right. As in, the tranny puked its insides all over the road. When they fail, they fail epically.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by MagCobalt
that sucks man. i had the same problem with warrenty work. My clutch blew when i had 12000 km on it. And my 2.2 was bone stock. I never road the clutch or did burnouts. I got the car in december and it blew in march. They said abuse. Im like abuse it's winter WTF. they wanted 3000. im like no way and i was going to take it back and put a stg2 (cost 400) and 400-500 to install. So they are like ok it will cost you 1800 to take it back right now. We had fights with them for 2 months. with my car sitting there. Finally they owner said he'd do it for 1000. After two months of fighting and cops being called on us because we lost our cool and said stuff we shouldn't have said. The owner never knew all this was going on. You think the parts department would have told him. The guy who sold me the car finally talked to him and said you need to help these people out. The guy that put my new clutch in looked like he worked at pizza hut. lol.

i really hope things with the LNF are going to be alot better. hope they fixed all these kinks.
I dont see how it would not be covered under warrenty. 3 year, 60k bumper to bumper and 5 year, 150K powertrain, that falls underneath both.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:41 PM

I raced a cavalier last night (turbo'd) and when i shifted to third it was like i broke an axle...revs went straight up. 1st 2nd 4th and 5th all worked fine. I drove it home and by that time the burning smell was very strong. Tranny fluid was leaking out of the bell housing. So im fucked.I need a new tranny. Im thinking about doing the quafe 6 spd. but prolly not. Im looking for a used tranny with lsd right now. Does anyone know the chances of me ruining my clutch with the fluid in the bell housing. Im worried becuz alot of work went into installing that clutch and it was an 1100 dollar piece. I will be pissed! I prolly shouldnt have drove it home but i had no choice it would have gotten f'd with. i didnt have any money for a truck either.
Your clutch and flywheel should be fine. When you get a tranny and install it make sure you check it though. Clean it up nice. Talk to a tranny shop for proper ways to clean it up. If you have the Exedy, it should be fine man. Good luck, sounds like you cracked your case.

Edit Post: sorry I did not read the entire thread, anyways, good luck with everything man...you pay to play, trust me I know.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Originally Posted by Austyn_Balt
I dont see how it would not be covered under warrenty. 3 year, 60k bumper to bumper and 5 year, 150K powertrain, that falls underneath both.
Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
Your clutch and flywheel should be fine. When you get a tranny and install it make sure you check it though. Clean it up nice. Talk to a tranny shop for proper ways to clean it up. If you have the Exedy, it should be fine man. Good luck, sounds like you cracked your case.

Edit Post: sorry I did not read the entire thread, anyways, good luck with everything man...you pay to play, trust me I know.
You guys are EPICALLY late...
Old 04-05-2008, 12:18 AM

well i think its best to say... that all trannies suffer problems when your pushin them to their limits... i dont think there are any bullet proof trannies out there..
Old 04-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

well i think its best to say... that all trannies suffer problems when your pushin them to their limits... i dont think there are any bullet proof trannies out there..
Yeah, but I've seen WRX trannies that have grenaded on near stock power...
Old 04-05-2008, 05:29 AM

damn dude.. you really did get screwed over i would contacted a lawyer or something and seen what they had to say about, or just tell the dealer that you will be seeing them in court or something
well i told them i was going to sue but i think too much time has passed now. i dont really have any extra time on my hands for the last year and a half but now i do. i graduated last night! i cant really do anything about it guys. like i said there is guys from that dealer lurking on this site....they can use my mods for evidence against me. (clutch)
Old 04-05-2008, 01:03 PM

I'm still not seeing how a clutch could be the cause of a case cracking.... but i'm sure they would come up with a stupid ass reason just so they dont have to fix it.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:18 PM

Damn... It all depends on the dealer.. they can warranty it, it just depends on if they want to or not. All this is making me glad I have connections with the gm dealer back home. My guess would be find someone that knows someone that works in service and have them hook ya up.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:45 PM

these car are so weak ... suck
Old 04-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Banned

i was in the same boat, blew my tranny same way when i went into 3rd the first time, they said i was abusing the car when i wasent, i just shifted to 3rd, and maybe couple weeks ago i shifted to 3rd BOOM!!!! lol....these car tranny sucks ass. But i got a lawyer

Quick Reply: Tranny passed away last night...