Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Trans Problem, OH FUN!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Trans Problem, OH FUN!

Alright, so yesterday on the way to work the shifter went limp. Side to side there was still some resistance, but front to back there was none and there were no gears to be found. I assumed a linkage problem, snapped cable, broken spring, something along those lines. However I just got a call saying that they need to take the tranny apart, and I'm reading on here that a lot of people have broken some roll pin inside the transmission. I have no warranty, any guesses on what kind of monetary damage I'm looking at? I realize that this is probably a question no one can accurately answer, but I'm anxious and need something to distract me from the possibility that the whole trans is shot. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:26 PM

why no warranty too many miles? and if they take the trans off they have to charge u i think 8 hours labor. idk thats the bs my dealer told me.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ouch. i woulda thought linkage too.

and the answer to your question:
Q: What is the purpose of a spoiler on the rear of a front-wheel-drive car?

exactly the same purpose as it is on a rear wheel drive.

what wheels drive the car has nothing to do with a rear wing, as the car has to be travelling at over 80mph before it even becomes effective.
at that speed, whether your RWD or not is irrelevant.
they are for high speed cornering and braking, to apply downforce to help traction, and reduce the dancing of the rear end under heavy braking

sorry, pet peeve of mine. i always laugh when people try and make that joke about FWD cars.

little do they know they are making themselves look stupid because it has nothing to do with it.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 PM

interesting, i saw that somewhere randomly and I thought that it was funny, never did the research into it. Do you by chance have a link or the name of a book that talks about it being for downforce in cornering and braking? I'm intrigued. I would think that when decelerating the drag and thus downforce wouldn't be much of a factor. Cornering at high speed without decelerating i could definitely see though. Now that I think of it I had read some solid research that said it didn't really make much of a difference at legal freeway speeds, i think they were also talking about how ram air doesn't really apply to your average consumer driven car either.

Perhaps I'll change it to "What is the purpose of a rear spoiler on a daily driver?"

Oh and in my answer it says MAIN purpose, the downforce is secondary, I have my priorities straight! :-p
Old 10-04-2007, 09:20 PM

Wow! Man the same exact thing happend to me on the way home from work, on Friday. I was trippin out. I was shifting into sechond and all the gears went out besides 1st. So, therfore side to side was working as well. I called GM and they said that it has to be the tranny. However, My warranty is voided as well. Too make a long story short i get my car back tomorrow and what had happend was I broke 4 shift forks and the gear rail. Costing me abou $1,500 to have done parts labor everything."Of course not through chevy" they told me 3 grand.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
ouch. i woulda thought linkage too.

and the answer to your question:
Q: What is the purpose of a spoiler on the rear of a front-wheel-drive car?

exactly the same purpose as it is on a rear wheel drive.

what wheels drive the car has nothing to do with a rear wing, as the car has to be travelling at over 80mph before it even becomes effective.
at that speed, whether your RWD or not is irrelevant.
they are for high speed cornering and braking, to apply downforce to help traction, and reduce the dancing of the rear end under heavy braking

sorry, pet peeve of mine. i always laugh when people try and make that joke about FWD cars.

little do they know they are making themselves look stupid because it has nothing to do with it.
Uh, sorry to jack the thread but you are actually wrong, it produces no down force on our cars whatsoever. What it does do is help stabilize the car at higher speeds allowing us to cut through the air with greater ease. They are not for cornering at high speeds or braking in the sense that they help the rear end push down, they lower our coefficient of drag.

Regards,

Ryan
Old 10-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
If you want a used tranny... I have one that I will sell to you. The only problem is that the 2nd gear synchro is busted. You have to double clutch 2nd gear for it to go into gear smoothly. But it is a working transmission... it will move the car. All gears are fine.

Let me know. And if you've got any mechanical experience at all... you can do it yourself... I have a GM book on how to change the clutch in our cars... Obviously... you could just skip the clutch part.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:57 PM

If you need a tranny, i have one for sale also. Perfect working condition has approx. 12K miles
Old 10-09-2007, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by OneAMCoffee
Uh, sorry to jack the thread but you are actually wrong, it produces no down force on our cars whatsoever. What it does do is help stabilize the car at higher speeds allowing us to cut through the air with greater ease. They are not for cornering at high speeds or braking in the sense that they help the rear end push down, they lower our coefficient of drag.

Regards,

Ryan
Please show your source for this information. Back Spoilers in general are to create downforce...whether or not this does that and at what speed apparently remains to be tested.

Drag is the friction caused when air runs into something. If that spoiler weren't there at ALL there would be less drag but they are trading a little drag for supposed downforce:

Rear Spoiler - designed to give or take away down force on the rear of the car. If you raise the rear spoiler, you will create more down force on the rear of the car. The trade off is that the higher spoiler also creates more drag on the back of the car. If you lower the rear spoiler you will have less downforce, but you will also have less drag.

At the point the air reaches the back wing, the rest of the car has already gone through that air, now that air slams into the back wing and has to go over and in between it. F1 cars front wings are designed to clean the air for the back wing as I understand it, maybe that is similar to what you are describing?
Old 10-16-2007, 12:54 AM

Thought I'd give everyone a little update on the original topic, might help someone down the road. The dealer I took it to ended up telling me that I was best off replacing the transmission, for a wonderful fee of 3000 dollars (and that was for a USED transmission, new was more). I was still convinced that the problem was with a roll pin so I had it towed to a transmission shop. They checked it out, told me I was right, and are now fixing it for several thousand dollars cheaper than the dealer would have charged me for a "new" transmission. I guess they don't call it a stealership for nothing. Can't wait to get my car back!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OneAMCoffee

Regards,

Ryan
a wing allows us to cut through the air with greater ease?
lowers our coefficient of drag huh? (damn, no wonder honda boys put so many wings on, im gonna go get 5 more tommorow!)
Ooooookay then.
guess they must be teaching aeronautical engineering a little differently since I did it.

Glad to hear your getting her fixed so much cheaper man. good eye on the fix.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:43 PM

Thats crazy man. I took my car to GM aswell and they said that i needed a new tranny. Than took it to a local trans shop and they said that it was gear rail and shift fors 'OR PINS" WHAT EVER YOU PREFER. However, My **** handles a hell of a lot bbetter and power increase were night and day it was weird.