Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Transmission Problems Please Help Me

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Transmission Problems Please Help Me

Ok so i have many thinngs to ask about.

1. Sometimes in second gear when I'm turning it slipps out of gear. What could that be?

2. I just did a clutch job on my car (ZZP Stage 2 Clutch & Fidanza flywheel) I had a slight vibration at first but it went away. Is that normal with installing a new clutch?

3. I know i fucked up on this part, don't judge me. I put ROYAL PURPLE in my trans. Yes, I know. And yes it did have friction modifier in it (Big No No). When i drove it, when i would let off the gas while drinving I could hear a noise. It is kind of a grinding noise. But when i push the clutch pedal in it stops. Is that bc of the shitty fluid or bc of the clutch?

I drive an 05 supercharged ss. If you ask me if its a manual trans i will punch you in the face. OF COURSE IT IS!!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 PM

check transmission fluid level and order some lnf tranny fluid and replace the RP

Last edited by chood711; 05-03-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 AM

1. How do your Motor/Transmission mounts look? If it pops out of gear when taking a turn I would suspect movement of the drive-train, or shift assembly.

2. A new clutch and flywheel should never vibrate after installation. Now if you are talking about shuddering during engagement when coming from a stop, this is normal during break in.

3. The grinding noise, depending upon what it exactly sounds like, could be something caused by excessive gear lash. Depending upon the weight of the fluid compared to what was in there before, this could of been always present just absorbed by a thicker fluid.

Dominic
www.competitionclutch.com
Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 AM

Should I run 88862472 new gm standard or can I run Red-Line 75W-90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil? I would like to run the redline but if you don't recommend it then I'll run the gm.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 AM

I'd run the GM, but thats me. With a fluid like that, why not what is recommended by them? Its not like its bad.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Meador88
Ok so i have many thinngs to ask about.

1. Sometimes in second gear when I'm turning it slipps out of gear. What could that be?

2. I just did a clutch job on my car (ZZP Stage 2 Clutch & Fidanza flywheel) I had a slight vibration at first but it went away. Is that normal with installing a new clutch?

3. I know i fucked up on this part, don't judge me. I put ROYAL PURPLE in my trans. Yes, I know. And yes it did have friction modifier in it (Big No No). When i drove it, when i would let off the gas while drinving I could hear a noise. It is kind of a grinding noise. But when i push the clutch pedal in it stops. Is that bc of the shitty fluid or bc of the clutch?

I drive an 05 supercharged ss. If you ask me if its a manual trans i will punch you in the face. OF COURSE IT IS!!!!
Linkage needs adjusted or your mounts are fucked.

Vibrations are BAD. If there are none anymore then it might have been "chatter" while breaking it in. Need more of a description on this.

GET THAT FLUID OUT. Plain and simple. You should ONLY use the GM fluid.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gremlin85
Linkage needs adjusted or your mounts are fucked.

Vibrations are BAD. If there are none anymore then it might have been "chatter" while breaking it in. Need more of a description on this.

GET THAT FLUID OUT. Plain and simple. You should ONLY use the GM fluid.
Do you know where to get the fluid the dealership wants me to pay $30 a quart. **** that.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:35 PM

Do you know where to get the fluid the dealership wants me to pay $30 a quart. **** that.
Search

I didn't name the link, it appeared that way when I copied it.. So, don't think I was being a smart ass..lol
Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by chood711
Search

I didn't name the link, it appeared that way when I copied it.. So, don't think I was being a smart ass..lol
Ok. I'm glad you elaborated other than just putting the link. At first glance I was like " That son of a..." lol
Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Not sure

2. Im sure it was a normal shudder under typical break in.

3. Did you replace your Throw out Bearing when you did you clutch?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
if it jumps out of second it is probably the second gear synchro and blocker ring unit. not cheap. It could be shifter cable adjustment, thats a lot cheaper than second gear...

to adjust the shifter lift the cup holder out, the two side covers at the base of the radio console, lift the handbrake cover and console cover off and then remove the leather boot from the console and leave it hanging on the lever, and extract the console cover around it.

now release the cable clamps - on the shifter cable- grey little tabs press down on the top and lever gently with a pik the bottom of the grey tab. Now the cables are free.

Go to the shifter, use a pair of needle nose pliers or small vicegrips, look for two white or blue tabs just below the reverse lock out (black) lift the reverse lock out, squeeze the tabs and run the white block down so it is free to slide down, move the lever back towards fourth and slip the white lever tab into the black recess in the shifter housing. EZ someone else can post pictures.
Now that the lever is in the 4th gear locate postion, lock the cable clamps.
release the 4th gear tab up, its spring loaded help it to set the tabs back in position and you are done reasssemble the console. enjoy ur ride.

now u know. its the trans. lol
Old 05-04-2012, 05:54 PM

DUDE. I drive an 05 SS too and the same thing was happening to my 2nd gear. Ended up to be the synchro. I'm getting a whole new transmission and I'm gonna go ahead and get a new clutch while I'm at it......synchros are a B****
Old 05-05-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by LS6Rally
1. Not sure

2. Im sure it was a normal shudder under typical break in.

3. Did you replace your Throw out Bearing when you did you clutch?
Yes i replaced the TOB. I replaced everything recommended.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
if it jumps out of second it is probably the second gear synchro and blocker ring unit. not cheap. It could be shifter cable adjustment, thats a lot cheaper than second gear...

to adjust the shifter lift the cup holder out, the two side covers at the base of the radio console, lift the handbrake cover and console cover off and then remove the leather boot from the console and leave it hanging on the lever, and extract the console cover around it.

now release the cable clamps - on the shifter cable- grey little tabs press down on the top and lever gently with a pik the bottom of the grey tab. Now the cables are free.

Go to the shifter, use a pair of needle nose pliers or small vicegrips, look for two white or blue tabs just below the reverse lock out (black) lift the reverse lock out, squeeze the tabs and run the white block down so it is free to slide down, move the lever back towards fourth and slip the white lever tab into the black recess in the shifter housing. EZ someone else can post pictures.
Now that the lever is in the 4th gear locate postion, lock the cable clamps.
release the 4th gear tab up, its spring loaded help it to set the tabs back in position and you are done reasssemble the console. enjoy ur ride.

now u know. its the trans. lol
Ok man thanks. I will do all that after i replace the fluid. I also heard it could be the trans mounts. Do you think that's possible? it doesn't do it that often
Old 05-05-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by xWKUJoBo36x
DUDE. I drive an 05 SS too and the same thing was happening to my 2nd gear. Ended up to be the synchro. I'm getting a whole new transmission and I'm gonna go ahead and get a new clutch while I'm at it......synchros are a B****
I'm not tyring to be an ass but i hope you are wrong lol. i just spend a grand on my clutch and everythiing I can't afford much more.lol
Old 05-05-2012, 04:44 PM

I'm not tyring to be an ass but i hope you are wrong lol. i just spend a grand on my clutch and everythiing I can't afford much more.lol
I hope I'm wrong too just because it's a terrible thing to have to fix haha