Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Uncool, tranny drain plug stripped

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uncool, tranny drain plug stripped

Quick History,
Took car to auto shop to have tranny fuid swapped with synthetic (didn't want to do it myself). They couldn't do it because they didn't have a tool to fit between the tranny and chassis. Long story short. I cut off the short end of a 8mm allen to get to it. I pop under the car to do it myself and find the drain plug is stripped like crazy. No way of getting any torque on it. Of course I cant go back to the shop, because how would I prove they stripped the bolt. The my word against their's scenario comes in play. Now heres the question.
How do you get out a stripped transmission drain plug when you have limited room to work in?
Damn this bites!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it to another shop and have them find it and show you. That way you can have proof they did it.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:34 PM

I dont know about you man, but I would go tear ass at the old shop. I dont know what kind of bolt it is, or the clearance (havent done this yet) but there are tools specifically for extracting stripped bolts/screws/etc.... Craftsman FTW
Old 06-08-2007, 01:50 AM
Banned

Lightbulb

Yeah I know, Craftsman has a lot of tools to get stripped bolts, screws and what have you out. It is a stripped 8mm allen bolt for the f23 getrag tranny drain plug. there is about 1/2 inch between the bolt and the frame/chasis rail

Does anyone think epoxying the allen wrench too the bolt might work. I was thinking about that 2000psi holding strength stuff. I am obviously going to replace the bolt afterwords. I was thinking about trying to weld a wrench to it, but kind of though the epoxy scenario might be easier and safer

Last edited by jsscooby; 06-08-2007 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-08-2007, 09:25 AM

Do you have an air compressor and any pneumatic tools? This might be a job for a pneumatic ratchet and an extractor bit.

But if that fails, then the epoxy might work, but make sure that after you break it loose your glued on tool wont get in the way of turning the bolt 360* around to take it all the way out.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:49 AM

Not sure on the clearance you have, but perhaps you can get an easy-out in there to take out the bolt? I've stripped my fair share.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Johnboy12358
Do you have an air compressor and any pneumatic tools? This might be a job for a pneumatic ratchet and an extractor bit.

But if that fails, then the epoxy might work, but make sure that after you break it loose your glued on tool wont get in the way of turning the bolt 360* around to take it all the way out.
Uh Crap. i forgot about the 360 degree thing. Time to rethink my idea. i already figured the tool would be trash being it would probably be permantely epoxied. I have pneumatic tools but no clearance for that or any extractor tools I know of.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 PM

do you access to a welder? if you do, fill in the stripped hole with weld. then use the pretruding weld as a way to turn the stripped plug. at work whenever a bolt is broken off flush with the component that it is in we do thise and it 9 times out of ten comes out and everything is okay.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jsscooby
Quick History,
Took car to auto shop to have tranny fuid swapped with synthetic (didn't want to do it myself). They couldn't do it because they didn't have a tool to fit between the tranny and chassis. Long story short. I cut off the short end of a 8mm allen to get to it. I pop under the car to do it myself and find the drain plug is stripped like crazy. No way of getting any torque on it. Of course I cant go back to the shop, because how would I prove they stripped the bolt. The my word against their's scenario comes in play. Now heres the question.
How do you get out a stripped transmission drain plug when you have limited room to work in?
Damn this bites!
Yeah, umm, possibly a stupid question, but the thought is hanging on to me.

My drain plug bolt is stripped right. I had plans to put RP syncromax in it. What do you all thing the possibilty of sucking out some of the ATF through the fill hole would be. I do realize that gears are in the way, so who know how far I could route a hose inside the tranny to suck out as much ATF as possible. Maybe I would be able to get half it out and be left with a 50% ATF and 50% RP syncromax mix. (the two mixes would be compatible). i'm figuring this should yield some of the benefits of switching fluids. Flame On!
Old 06-10-2007, 11:43 PM

vice grips
Old 06-10-2007, 11:46 PM

Why not try an allen bit. Like the ones that would be used on a universal screwdriver or rachet set. JB Weld that into the plug. Then use a pair of pliers or a racheting closed end wrench to back the bolt out.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:41 AM

Vice Grips....

vice Grips....

vice Grips....
Old 06-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

vice grips would not work. its not that kind of bolt. its flat with a hole in it dor an allen wrench. nothing for vice grips to grip on
Old 06-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Vin

Go to a good welding/machine shop and tell them what you are up against. Best thing to do is to try an allen key, if not then you can drill into it, increase bit size, drill into it, tap it, and turn it out. Be sure to change the fluid afterwards! Or you can weld on it and grip onto the weld and turn out that out (its not as easy as it sounds).

Go to a good shop to someone that cares.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned

Yeah I got all these methods to get it out, but i am in a tight area. The frame rail is literally 3/4 inch away from plug. i had to shave the short end of an allen key to even get it onto the bolt. I think i might **** and moan a little while longer and leave it as is.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:50 PM

i just spent the money and got the special tool through kent tools...it was like 40 bucks
Old 06-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned

bump

"Yeah, umm, possibly a stupid question, but the thought is hanging on to me.

My drain plug bolt is stripped right. I had plans to put RP syncromax in it. What do you all thing the possibilty of sucking out some of the ATF through the fill hole would be. I do realize that gears are in the way, so who know how far I could route a hose inside the tranny to suck out as much ATF as possible. Maybe I would be able to get half it out and be left with a 50% ATF and 50% RP syncromax mix. (the two mixes would be compatible). i'm figuring this should yield some of the benefits of switching fluids. Flame On!"

any IMO on talking trans fluid out through the drain plug
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 AM

Whatever you do make sure you have a new plug before you do anything. Lots-o-luck getting one from GM.

To get the old one out tack weld your shaved allen key to the stripped plug to break it loose. Once it's loose the plug is easy to turn. Cut off your tack welded allen key and remove the plug.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 PM

Just for everybody's future reference. If you happen to strip it out like i did, you can CAREFULLY use a hammer and chisel, you HAVE to get a deep set into the outer edge if you don't hit hard and get deep all you will do is chip it away. My dad showed me that trick after i just about gave up on it. And no you can't get vise grips on it.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Helltime
Just for everybody's future reference. If you happen to strip it out like i did, you can CAREFULLY use a hammer and chisel, you HAVE to get a deep set into the outer edge if you don't hit hard and get deep all you will do is chip it away. My dad showed me that trick after i just about gave up on it. And no you can't get vise grips on it.
grinder and a flathead lol.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by pimpnwink
grinder and a flathead lol.
There isn't much room under there....which is why its so easy to strip it in the first place.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:37 PM

Back from the dead

I know I'm reviving an old thread but I was just wondering what the OP did to fix the problem. I was thinking of JB welding the wrench to the bolt then cutting the wrench so I could turn the bolt once I broke it loose. Anyone have a better and easier idea?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
snap on and other companies make an 'IMPACT DRIVER'/ This tool accepts the allen socket, and is then hammered on the end with a BFH; as it is hit, the tool rotates the trans plug. I use this tool often, peeps are fond of over torquing the drain plug and fill plugs.
"An impact driver is a tool that delivers a strong, sudden rotational and downward force. In conjunction with toughened screwdriver bits and socket sets, they are often used by mechanics to loosen larger screws (bolts) and nuts that are corrosively "frozen" or over-torqued. The direction can also be reversed for situations where screws have to be tightened with torque greater than a screwdriver can reasonably provide."

hope this helps

google/wiki Impact driver
Old 11-29-2011, 08:54 PM

I appreciate the info, however, the location of the transmission drain plug does not allow for any type of power tool since there is about an inch of clearance from the plug to the frame rail. Why GM designed it so...
Old 11-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
listen not to be rude but i take care of this everyday. On Cobalts. F35. I use a 3/8 extension, a 3/8 drive metric allen socket on the end, an impact driver on the extension and a B F Hammer. Surely I dont need to post apicture?
its not a power tool. its an impact driver.

Quick Reply: Uncool, tranny drain plug stripped