Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Warranty Coverage and Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty Coverage and Problems

I took my car in to the dealership to get my synchros replaced after they went. (2nd gear only) Dealership calls me back, wanting me to authorize them to charge me $1600 to pull the tranny out and determine if they will cover it or not under my extended warranty. I've called GM Warranty, and the dealership numerous times trying to determine what is covered on my extended warranty (I wasnt the owner who purchased it, so I am not sure what it covers) and they won't tell me what is covered. Grrr....

So, do I take the chance of telling them to pull it, and either owed them $1600+ what the rest of the trans is (Lady said $2800 total if I have to pay for it) or get lucky and pay nothing for a warranty covered trans...?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM

Damnn, I was in the same boat! $594 to tear it down to just deteremine what the problem was.. I had my grandfather which is a mechanic and go down and say this car has been trouble since we bought it! "We aren't putting another dime into this car"

Service Manager, Said ok sir just sign here and we will take car of it.

Both Syncros went bad.. Told me just to get a new tranny.. Called 1-800 number and they covered it under warranty.. I had to paid $862 for labor for the mech..

Now 2days later its back in shop ECU Went bad and having trouble re-programming it.

F*CK SATURN!

:P
Old 04-22-2009, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i blew my 1st and 2nd and 5th... 15 miles left until my warranty is up... and they are replacing the WHOLE tranny under warranty... go to a different dealer my friend. you ran into a poor technician thats all.... my 1st and 2nd were STUCK together and my 5th gear synchro's were phucked... but half of it was due to my roll pin snapping they told me. the tech took me to the side and asked me how this all really happened just so he could win a bet with another tech... and yea i told him how... he won 100 bucks cause of it. but like i said bro dood... just go to another dealer. have chevy tow it there too for free... get your rental chevy aveo lmao like i did... and sit back. p.m. me there is also a ACT passed through congress that might be able to help you. p.m. me with your mods list and i'll give you the link
Old 04-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Well, I called a relatives dealership and asked their service manager what the reasons for this dealership acting like they are. He looked up all kinds of stuff for me, what parts have been known to go out on Cobalts, and said that it's most likely they will cover it and I should really argue with the dealer about covering it under warranty.

So I go to call the dealership this afternoon, and it turns out, they called a GM warranty rep, and found out my 2nd gear synchros are covered so they went ahead and tore the trans apart and are replacing it under warranty, for free. I'm excited, I was about to go nuts on these people. I had them replace my reverse synchro's as well because they are acting up.

I'm just glad this situation got figured out. Seems everytime I take the car in to a dealership, I have some kind of run in like this and it really irritates me.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:56 PM

nice to see it all worked out
Old 04-22-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ssyellow
nice to see it all worked out
I'm very relieved it worked out. I was stressed out of my mind for a few days.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dood they already have your parts wtf lol mine are coming from michigan lol and i wont see my baby until next wednesday lol. congrats though your car is too beautiful to get dicked over... no more powershifting! lmao
Old 04-22-2009, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Karlen89
I'm very relieved it worked out. I was stressed out of my mind for a few days.
How does your tranny act when your syncros are acting up. Im curious, i dont know.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Champ_
How does your tranny act when your syncros are acting up. Im curious, i dont know.
When you clutch, and shift right when it goes into the next gear, it grinds really bad. At first I thought I forgot the clutch, but that wasn't the case. If you've ever driven a Cavalier 5 speed, you feel it most of the time you put it in reverse. My Cobalt started that recently in reverse, and then went on to 2nd gear as well.

And I wasn't powershifting when the synchros went bad, I downshifted into 2nd at 40mph and they just went. I don't abuse my car, because I know **** breaks.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:48 AM

You call powershifting without the clutch? Different people seem to call it different things. Ah k.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Champ_
You call powershifting without the clutch? Different people seem to call it different things. Ah k.
Not really what I meant, I was just stating I don't do anything crazy with my car.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:12 PM

Update: Dealership is telling me that the synchro's are on national backorder, and they won't have any news for me till Monday. Which isn't really new, because everyday for the last week has been "We will tell you tomorrow if we hear any news on getting the parts". Anyone else experience this problem from a dealer? I'm getting nervous on this, because I have to PCS from here, to Cinci Ohio in less than 3 weeks.

What do I do if they can't tell me anything on Monday? I've been thinking about just asking them to replace the whole trans under warranty, and be done with it. I'm sure that would be ten times faster at this point. Grrrrr.....
Old 05-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you were crying about it not being covered and now it is.......and now your crying and want it done faster...?
Old 05-02-2009, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
you were crying about it not being covered and now it is.......and now your crying and want it done faster...?
Every single time I've had to deal with a dealer, it's been one big circle jerk. I didn't imagine this would be such a PIA. Without some kind of date on when the car will be done, and me changing stations in three weeks, I'm getting stressed about it.