Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Weird Trans/SC/Who knows what problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Trans/SC/Who knows what problem

I did some hunting around on the forum, but couldn't find anyone talking about this issue.

I have an 05 SS/SC with about 82,000 miles, stock. I have a work car so I only drive it on weekends and trips to my hometown which is 900 miles away. On my most recent trip back, about 500 miles in, I noticed that my cruise control was cutting off any time I would go over a hill. I started paying attention, and it seemed to happen whenever the SC would move into positive boost. Then I started to notice acceleration problems.

When I accelerate, the tach wants to spike really hard, so I have to baby it. It happens in each gear. If I am really careful, I can match the revs enough to more or less drive it like normal. If I’m a little too heavy on the throttle though, the tach will shoot well up into the 5,000s and stay there, and will only come down if I let off the throttle (obviously the car is not accelerating properly while this is happening). Like I said, if I am careful I can cruise at pretty much any speed, but at any time if I punch the gas, the tach shoots up and the car doesn’t accelerate.

I have heard/read about everything from a messed up boost controller, to a MAF sensor, to the throttle body, to vacuum leaks, to clutch fluid, to the clutch itself, but I honestly don't know where to start.

One last little wrinkle, it’s time to move on, most likely to the Camaro, but I don't want to trade in a completely broken car if I can get it fixed somewhat cheaply, but I’m not going to throw a whole lot of money at the problem. That said, does this sound like a specific problem with a specific solution? If not, can someone at least give me the order of things to check to get to the bottom of this while spending the least amount of money with the highest likelihood of success?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your clutch is slipping
Old 10-29-2010, 01:27 AM

If the clutch is the problem, it seems to be a fair estimate that it will cost in the neighborhood of $1,000 to replace. Does anyone have any experience with a trade-in on something like that? If I drive a hard bargain, are they likely to give me what I would have gotten anyways, less the cost of a new clutch, or are they going to treat it like a junk car and give me way less?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TnSS
When I accelerate, the tach wants to spike really hard, so I have to baby it. It happens in each gear.
Originally Posted by bmb17
Sounds like your clutch is slipping
Agreed.

The rest of the things you named..

MAF sensor - Take it out, clean it with MAF cleaner, put it back in.

TB - Take it off, clean it with TB cleaner, put it back on.

Vacuum leaks - Build/buy a smoke kit, hook it up, where ever you have a vacuum leak, smoke will pour out. I've never done it on a Cobalt, but I helped my buddy do it to his turbo Scion TC.

Clutch fluid - https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...system-164547/
Old 11-15-2010, 04:08 PM

Just some resolution. Bought the GM upgraded clutch for about $280 delivered, then a friend "had a guy." installed it for $500 including tip. The whole thing was a typically shady south Miami deal, but he finished in five hours, and everything is running great. A friend said I should have replaced the slave, as the pressure from the new clutch will wear it out over time, but I couldn't get my hands on one before the install, and I don't intend to keep the car past February anyways. Thanks for the advice, definitely just the clutch, everything is back to normal (well a little grabbier than stock).