Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

What about paddle shift.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about paddle shift.

I have a automatic cobalt I see paddle shifters on auto corvettes why isnt there a kit for the cobalt. It wouldnt be hard since theres only 2 solinoides in the tranny?
Old 12-06-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you know...i have no idea how a setup would work like the one suggested...but i really like the idea if it can be applied...i love paddle shifts (since i cant really drive stick too well)

speaking of...i think im cursed when it comes to learning stick....the only 2 cars that people are letting me learn on are both above 250hp engines....n ones a 2002 mustang GT, which im told has an evil clutch....so basically, i cant really learn to easily on these beasts...
Old 12-07-2006, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Slap Stick" shifter won't work because the tranny's valve body is not set up for one. "L" holds first gear until a preset RPM is attained and "I" is basically "Drive w/overdrive locked out".

Now that I've used "I" I find that it is a pretty neat option with the automatic braking action and firmer upshifts -- although I do miss a good "slap stick" shifter.

In order for a "Slap Stick" shifter to work you would have to replace the valve body. Lots of $$$.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
gotcha...sounds good man...and to the best of my knowledge, the 2-3 shift in I is just as hard as the 1-2 shift in L...so i'd keep that in mind the next time you race someone
Old 12-15-2006, 01:56 PM

Its alright man i learned to drive a stick on a truck that had been dogged to hell to where the clutch was paper thin. It looked like i was trying to race everyone when i would shift cause i just had to pop it into gear. The cobalts are not hard to drive whatsoever...my clutch is a little high but other than that its a peice of cake. I was perfect at it after just a couple of days
Old 12-15-2006, 01:59 PM

Why do stupid thread keep getting started?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
I honestly don't see why this thread is stupid. He asked a question. There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers...

I agree, paddle shift for automatic trannys are awesome. People were looking into them for my old cougar, but I don't think it is possible unless the transmission was designed for it. Unless you could rig something up with your shifter...
Old 12-15-2006, 02:21 PM

It's not a stupid thread, it's a valid question. To each there own.

I would think the only thing you would need would be a way to control the transmission electronically so you can tell it when to shift.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:06 PM

Watch Top Gear. No man really enjoys flappy paddles over stick.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:52 PM

So you want some ghetto buttons on the steering wheel? that shift the "Automatic" transmission?

It's called Automatic for reason..
Old 12-15-2006, 08:57 PM

So you want some ghetto buttons on the steering wheel? that shift the "Automatic" transmission?

Old 12-15-2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by CloudyDaysBehind
Watch Top Gear. No man really enjoys flappy paddles over stick.

Yeah well let's not get the paddle shifter systems on a Ferrari, Aston, or Bmw confused with a slushbox with a shift o matic. Top Gear tests some serious high end cars, were talking about a 15k$ dollar econo car here. I don't think the paddle shifter on a Ferrari is so much for enjoyment but for practical reasons. It's much easier on a clutch to have a computer work it then a human. It also results in better shift times and safer driving at the track because your hands never leave the wheel.

I've driven a 360 Modena with the F1 gear box, it was fun but I won't lie, my Ferrari would have a six speed.

Anyway, if someone wants to shift their automatic let them. You have to admit it would make the car a little more fun to drive.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:34 PM

DSG > You
Old 12-16-2006, 05:15 AM

Direct-Shift Gearbox

The Direct-Shift Gearbox (Direktschaltgetriebe) is a dual-clutch gearbox designed by BorgWarner and initially licenced to Volkswagen Group (which owns the Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and Škoda brands). By using two clutches, fast shifts can be achieved, and the torque converter of a regular automatic transmission is eliminated.

Essentially, the engine drives both clutch packs. The outer clutch pack drives gears 1, 3, and 5 (and reverse). The inner clutch pack drives gears 2, 4, and 6. Instead of a standard large dry clutch, each clutch pack is a collection of four small wet interleaved clutch plates. Due to space constraints, the two clutch assemblies are concentric. Because the alternate clutch pack's gearing can be pre-selected (predictive shifts taking place while the other section is in use), un-powered time while shifting is avoided because power is simply switched from one gearbox to the other. The DSG takes about 8 milliseconds to upshift[1]. Compare that to the SMT in the Enzo Ferrari, which takes 150 ms to upshift[1]. The quoted time for upshifts is only the time the engine is completely non-powered.

VW group vehicles available in Europe with the DSG gearbox include:

* Audi TT and A3. Audi have named the DSG "S-Tronic" in newer models.
* Bugatti Veyron 16.4 (* not a Borg Warner DSG, but marketed as one due to parent company)
* SEAT Altea, Toledo, and León
* Škoda Octavia
* Volkswagen Passat, New Beetle, Golf/Rabbit/GTI/R32, Touran, Eos, and Jetta/Bora.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:50 AM

Direct-Shift Gearbox

The Direct-Shift Gearbox (Direktschaltgetriebe) is a dual-clutch gearbox designed by BorgWarner and initially licenced to Volkswagen Group (which owns the Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and Škoda brands). By using two clutches, fast shifts can be achieved, and the torque converter of a regular automatic transmission is eliminated.

Essentially, the engine drives both clutch packs. The outer clutch pack drives gears 1, 3, and 5 (and reverse). The inner clutch pack drives gears 2, 4, and 6. Instead of a standard large dry clutch, each clutch pack is a collection of four small wet interleaved clutch plates. Due to space constraints, the two clutch assemblies are concentric. Because the alternate clutch pack's gearing can be pre-selected (predictive shifts taking place while the other section is in use), un-powered time while shifting is avoided because power is simply switched from one gearbox to the other. The DSG takes about 8 milliseconds to upshift[1]. Compare that to the SMT in the Enzo Ferrari, which takes 150 ms to upshift[1]. The quoted time for upshifts is only the time the engine is completely non-powered.

VW group vehicles available in Europe with the DSG gearbox include:

* Audi TT and A3. Audi have named the DSG "S-Tronic" in newer models.
* Bugatti Veyron 16.4 (* not a Borg Warner DSG, but marketed as one due to parent company)
* SEAT Altea, Toledo, and León
* Škoda Octavia
* Volkswagen Passat, New Beetle, Golf/Rabbit/GTI/R32, Touran, Eos, and Jetta/Bora.

Yup, Wikipedia checks out

Ghetto buttons on your steering wheel are neat.. that is, until I learn how to coordinate the motor skills of hand and foot to a speed of 8 milliseconds.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by DeuceDeuce41
Yup, Wikipedia checks out

Ghetto buttons on your steering wheel are neat.. that is, until I learn how to coordinate the motor skills of hand and foot to a speed of 8 milliseconds.

I don't think you get it..

This guy is trying to modify a car that was never so equipped.

It's not going to 8 Millisecond anything.

If anything it will break the car.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 5 speed auto in my SRX with the manual shift mode, it's pretty useless, maybe if you want to upshift , but thats easily accomplished with pressing the pedal to the floor.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
I have a 5 speed auto in my SRX with the manual shift mode, it's pretty useless, maybe if you want to upshift , but thats easily accomplished with pressing the pedal to the floor.
You meant Downshift???
Old 12-16-2006, 04:33 PM

i cant believe this thread is still goin.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by kingg5
i cant believe this thread is still goin.
I can't believe I read all of it.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:13 PM

You guys are gonna call anything stupid until some one does it then youll callit cool I.E. the guy who put the viper motor in the pt cruiser probably got called stupid until he did it. There are kits out theere but Im too lazy to look again. but they work, the Honda boyz are doin it.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:25 PM

so just because some guy in a honda does it that means we should...well if thats the way it is i guess i better run out n buy the biggest terminator spoiler i can find and perhaps some 5 inch fart cans for the back of my car to..then after that ill take a couple of bolts outa my bumper and let it hang off just like the honda boys are doin...darsh..
Old 12-16-2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by DV8MTSP
but they work, the Honda boyz are doin it.

They are Stupid..