Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

'08 G5 Steering Wheel Swap & Remote Start Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 G5 Steering Wheel Swap & Remote Start Compatibility

I have a 2008 G5 and wanted to add remote start and a leather wheel with audio controls to my car. I can find remotes on ebay all day long, but is it as simple as having the dealer program it to my car or is there additional equipment that I need for it to actually start my car remotely?
Also, I bought a leather wrap wheel with audio controls and bluetooth from a local junkyard and was wondering if the audio controls are prewired into my steering column so I could just swap out the wheels and plug in the audio controls (plug and play more or less). I know the stock bluetooth equipped cars have a mic on the ceiling, just behind the mirror. I have a sunroof, so the sunroof switch occupies that area, so I'm not sure the bluetooth would work. I'm not really worried about that working (tho it would be nice), I just mainly want the audio controls and leather wheel (I HATE the stock wheel).
Thanks in advance for your help! Love the forum! -Jeff
Old 11-13-2008, 12:18 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
i wouldnt hold my breath that the new steering wheel having any of those extra controls plug and play. oh and i would call the dealer prior to buying the remote start... find out a price because aftermarket might be a bit cheaper
Old 11-29-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the factory remote start thing on my wife's Uplander, and it was not as simple as thought. I bought a remote on fleabay, and since I have a GM Tech 2 at work, I thought I would program it myself. The remote worked, but when I tried to start the van, the Info center said "Remote Start Disabled". I took it to the dealer, and they told me that I needed to buy the remote start module from GM to enable the start. It cost $200 and $50 to install, and all that the module included was 2 remotes and a code to input into the computer. Bullshit, but it was easier than spending 6 hours in the garage installing one, or letting the retards at speaker city hack one in. And it always works, uses one remote, and automatically turns the rear defroster on if it is under 38 degrees.