Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

15's!!! WTF?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
no offence tony but how the **** is this thread so popular?

Lmao..thats a good question, i dunno myselfi just wanted simple input and i got it then the thread was just sittin there and all of a sudden everyone and there mother is here..y? idk..now everyone is arguin bout voltage sooo...yeah
Old 12-09-2009, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CordiaDOHC
Im going to argue with this. Neither of the 08s my family owns with lights on have hovered around mid 13's. Always closer to mid 12's. Both are 08 sport 2.4s. Also both when you let off the gas the lights and will dip down if the air is on and the lights are on which means its for that amount of time falling to most like 10-11volts before the alternator catches it.

remember the alternator on these cars isnt that big and many items pull a pretty decent current. But even at that the amp is rated at 14.4 volts but not getting it. Which means the amp is not putting out the watts its rated at. Also do remember its a 12 volt charging system.
Which means its nominal output is 12 volts. It might get a bit above that but not that much.
Well you could be right but I've had a digital voltage gauge installed in my car for the past 6 months that tells me differently, the only reason I may dobut myself is because it's reading the voltage my amp gets, but I'm pretty sure the voltage will be the same throughout the whole car. I also have 2 deep cycle batteries and 0g throughout the car so that may be the reason
Old 12-09-2009, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by brickloaf
Well you could be right but I've had a digital voltage gauge installed in my car for the past 6 months that tells me differently, the only reason I may dobut myself is because it's reading the voltage my amp gets, but I'm pretty sure the voltage will be the same throughout the whole car. I also have 2 deep cycle batteries and 0g throughout the car so that may be the reason
Are you running anything to seperate the batteries from the charging system when the batteries have a full charge? You could also be running your alternator harder. But yes those batteries would affect your end results. and 0 gauge? how much power are you pushing? Im a fan of the kinetic batteries or the BatCap setup you can buy (pretty neat lil thing its a battery and a cap built together).
Old 12-09-2009, 10:56 PM

Are you running anything to seperate the batteries from the charging system when the batteries have a full charge? You could also be running your alternator harder. But yes those batteries would affect your end results. and 0 gauge? how much power are you pushing? Im a fan of the kinetic batteries or the BatCap setup you can buy (pretty neat lil thing its a battery and a cap built together).
nope batteries are wired in parallel...and yea 0g, ive got some weight in the trunk if you catch my drift
Old 12-09-2009, 11:00 PM

nope batteries are wired in parallel...and yea 0g, ive got some weight in the trunk if you catch my drift
you might want to get something that disconnects your batteries from your charging system (forget what its called brainfart..) But your most likely maxing your alternator out which also could be a reason for the higher than average voltage. that could lead to your alternator dying faster than normal. Have you had a clamp put on your system to see what your actual #s are? Since you live in st.louis Mach 1 audio is washington can do it. Theres another guy name Josh Landau off 44 in the valley park area who does amazing yet expensive installs and he might be able to test it out as well to see your actual #s.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:29 PM

Why would I want to disconnect my batteries from the alt...then they wouldn't be charged and what do you mean by clamp? Total rms or voltage/amps? Rms with the 4 ch amp is like 2900ish
Old 12-10-2009, 05:42 PM

Why would I want to disconnect my batteries from the alt...then they wouldn't be charged and what do you mean by clamp? Total rms or voltage/amps? Rms with the 4 ch amp is like 2900ish
ive been out of car audio for a while. It only disconnects them for a bit so the alternator isnt running at 100% the whole time.

If you do a clamp test on your system it will measure ACTUAL wattage your amps are putting out. Its not the rated watts of your system.

my buddy has an mmats amp thats rated at 2000 watts. Between wiring and his charging system it actually puts out slightly under 1200 watts. If he upped his charging system and switched to better wiring hed get a lot closer to the 2000. But yes if he claimed rated wattage on his setup it would be around 3000 as well.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 PM

ive been out of car audio for a while. It only disconnects them for a bit so the alternator isnt running at 100% the whole time.

If you do a clamp test on your system it will measure ACTUAL wattage your amps are putting out. Its not the rated watts of your system.

my buddy has an mmats amp thats rated at 2000 watts. Between wiring and his charging system it actually puts out slightly under 1200 watts. If he upped his charging system and switched to better wiring hed get a lot closer to the 2000. But yes if he claimed rated wattage on his setup it would be around 3000 as well.
i think your talking about an isolator but what gauge wiring was your friend using?

for a true 2000rms using anything smaller than 0g is retarded
Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 AM

i think your talking about an isolator but what gauge wiring was your friend using?

for a true 2000rms using anything smaller than 0g is retarded
Been a while since I talked to him and he had it all hidden away in a storage compartment in his envoy. Will have to ask him next time I talk to him. It was an mmats 2000 watt amp with 2 treo 12's. It managed 140.1db but thats not bad in a big suv with 2 12's. But he didnt know the resonance frequency or anything it was his first ever soundoff. But still not too bad.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:34 PM

Been a while since I talked to him and he had it all hidden away in a storage compartment in his envoy. Will have to ask him next time I talk to him. It was an mmats 2000 watt amp with 2 treo 12's. It managed 140.1db but thats not bad in a big suv with 2 12's. But he didnt know the resonance frequency or anything it was his first ever soundoff. But still not too bad.
maybe its just me but i was under the impression subs were louder in big suv's...
Old 12-12-2009, 07:37 PM

maybe its just me but i was under the impression subs were louder in big suv's...
typically. it's usually the same idea behind the hatchbacks....ur putting the sub in the cabin rather than in a separate compartment.

though, i'd throw a wager in that if u put down the back seats, u'll notice an increase in bump.

at least i do. only time i'd do such a thing though is in the summer.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:45 PM

lol subs are louder in crx's! will see them all over the soundoffs. I think the last soundoff I went to had probably 4-5 crx's at the event.

Will post up a new thread with some a few soundoff pics from this years soundoff at mach1 audio (end of the year event).
Old 12-12-2009, 07:53 PM

Didn't bother reading everything but...
You need a CAPACITOR!!!! Bad. You will get much much much better bass response with a cap and you also won't ruin the alternator/battery in your car. Do it. Do it now.
CAPACITOR
Old 12-12-2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by tglems
Didn't bother reading everything but...
You need a CAPACITOR!!!! Bad. You will get much much much better bass response with a cap and you also won't ruin the alternator/battery in your car. Do it. Do it now.
CAPACITOR
Caps are often a crutch for a poor charging system.

And for brickloaf and other stl members heres the soundoff pics from mach1 audio. Feel free to come out next year guys.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/electronics-audio-video-49/pictures-mach-1-audios-end-year-sound-off-stl-area-56k-warning-198465/

Last edited by CordiaDOHC; 12-12-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-12-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
lol subs are louder in crx's! will see them all over the soundoffs. I think the last soundoff I went to had probably 4-5 crx's at the event.

Will post up a new thread with some a few soundoff pics from this years soundoff at mach1 audio (end of the year event).
"hell to the yes" Tyler Perry

craziest thing ive seen is a 147.# in a crx with a single RE 8"
Old 12-13-2009, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
"hell to the yes" Tyler Perry

craziest thing ive seen is a 147.# in a crx with a single RE 8"
lol got to love small cars. I think most of them at the last soundoff were in the 153-154 range.