Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

2 10" subs and photoshoot

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 10" subs and photoshoot

I finally got some pics of my stereo installation. All work was done by myself (including the entire green truck).

Details:

Kenwood 9152D 900W @ 2 ohm RMS Mono Amp w/ Remote Frequency and Boost
Infinity Perfect 10.1 350W RMS subwoofers (2)
4 Gauge power and ground (easy in Cobalt, only used 5 feet of power)
Amplifier signal from rear speaker level inputs (internal amp converter)
Custom built amp rack (attaches to stock Pioneer amp location and no, I don't have the Pioneer system)
2.0 cu ft box ported to 35hz custom built

I also installed the remote below the radio along with a toggle switch so I can turn the subs off when I'm in my neighborhood or just don't want to hear them.

Lastly, I cleaned up both my vehicles and took some pictures over spring break. As a side note, I drove 250 miles last night and got 45mpg via the computer. I'm not bsing, but the 30mph tailwind and going 66 in a 75 could have helped.

Some soundless videos, taken quickly at 3/4 volume and bass boost via remote set a approx 1/2 of maximum.

I hope that's enough pictures for ya'll
Old 03-19-2007, 08:41 PM

Hey there, that looks really nice and clean! Totally respect the outcome. I got some questions for you. I am looking at keeping my stock deck like you did and installed a JL Audio 500/1 and a 10W7 with the H.O box. I got a 2007 Cobalt SS/SC with pioneer system and the guys who had used a line out converter from there stock sub wires say that the subs don't really sound that great.... I am wondered if yuor sound really clear and good considering your stock deck? AND.... what did you use for your remote lead to amp and your left/right audio signal to you amp? Just wondering if you could explain it to me! Thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 08:57 PM

I have 2 10" Alpine E-10 + the stock pioneer sub and mine sounds wicked great. don't exactly how they hooked it up though, had it Professionally done but it is possible i'll see if i can't call and ask them how they did it . Powering them is a 800watt lanzar I know its cheap but it still sounds awsome!!

LowRollin that install is sweet looks really clean.

Last edited by NKs07CobaltSS; 03-19-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-19-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by a_bal
Hey there, that looks really nice and clean! Totally respect the outcome. I got some questions for you. I am looking at keeping my stock deck like you did and installed a JL Audio 500/1 and a 10W7 with the H.O box. I got a 2007 Cobalt SS/SC with pioneer system and the guys who had used a line out converter from there stock sub wires say that the subs don't really sound that great.... I am wondered if yuor sound really clear and good considering your stock deck? AND.... what did you use for your remote lead to amp and your left/right audio signal to you amp? Just wondering if you could explain it to me! Thanks
Listen, I have the same setup your talking about and heres a few tips from me.

1) Get a new deck, you have the best Stereo system you can buy, don't cheese dick out of getting a deck for your stock.

2) It sucks with the stock deck

3) Def use sound proofing in your truck, I used X-tream Dynomat and it works great. My **** rattled like crazy without it.

4) have fun with that setup, it really is the best product on the market and I'll never buy anything that's not JL audio.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ghalterman_usmc
Listen, I have the same setup your talking about and heres a few tips from me.

1) Get a new deck, you have the best Stereo system you can buy, don't cheese dick out of getting a deck for your stock.

2) It sucks with the stock deck

3) Def use sound proofing in your truck, I used X-tream Dynomat and it works great. My **** rattled like crazy without it.

4) have fun with that setup, it really is the best product on the market and I'll never buy anything that's not JL audio.
I actually feel that the stock deck isn't that bad, it isn't on par with my truck's system, but I am pleased with its performance. I just set my gains right on the money, pulled some sound from the rear fill to the front, pull down the bass and put up the treble via equalizer and enjoy. I look forward to sound deadening the entire car and that increase in SQ. I'm pretty rattle free at the moment (took care of child restraint covers and dome light.)

If I go with a set of components in the front, I may switch the deck, but I'm a fan of stock on late models. I save my rodding for my old stuff, an after market deck doesn't seem to flow in these cars, but that's just me.

Finally, I have no clue how to wire on the Pioneer system, that would be easier with an after market deck. My car is as stripped as you can get a Cobalt (Okay, I have an engine plug-in, it's ND).

Oh, Ghalterman_usmc, glad to see you're a leatherneck. I signed my contract last week (officer candidate) and am hoping to be a Marine after school. I start training in Quantico this summer and look forward to the challenge.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:46 PM

holly...dan dude that looks hella clean, how did you mold the front of your box to fit that well? and can i get more pics of how that box is built and how you have it in there? especially the face of the box, damn i gotta do that, looks hella nice
Old 03-21-2007, 02:37 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
nice... love the clean look (looking for the same effect but reversed) how much space is that box gross and net?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the props on the box. It's 2 cu ft net common volume with a square port tuned to 35hz. Outside dimensions of the box go: 16" high by 34" wide and 11.5" deep. The box was designed via http://subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp . I added some length to the base and angled the sides to give a place to bolt to the chassis, but that wasn't enclosed. The box barely fits through the rear seat opening sideways to put in the trunk. I also had to use some persuasion to get it all the way to the front of the trunk (nice tight fit). I doubt this box is going anywhere which is good news for thieves.

The clean look comes from 1/4" plywood wrapped in matching carpet. The plate is cut around the subs and held in place with carpet going under the subs. It is also all the way to the top of the trunk and extends to the trunk walls, once again a nice, tight fit.

The amp rack was trial and error with 3/8" plywood repeatedly cut and fit to mount the amp and then covered in carpet and bolted to studs installed where I believe the stock Pioneer Sub bolts down.

All this was done with minimal cutting of the stock vehicle. The only things I have to do is remove the wiring, box, and toss on a trim piece under the radio (my local junkyard has quite a few Cobalts, so it's easy to get) and you wouldn't know the system ever existed.

Last edited by lowrollin70gmc; 03-22-2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: wrong #s
Old 03-23-2007, 07:51 AM

you know if you had use 3/4" MDF you would have gotten much better sound and lower bass response. usually those enclosure calculators use that as a reference. you are probably losing some quality. no doubt it pounds and looks damn good, but thats my 2cents.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Just to clear some stuff up, it is a two part design for the box. The box is 3/4" MDF, the beauty plate is 1/4" plywood placed in front of the box, trimmed around the subs outer edges. I didn't want to see the space around the box and made the 1/4" to fit and covered that with carpet. The box behind the panel is still raw MDF, but you can't see it, so she doesn't matter. Simply it's a basic square box covered with a trim panel to blend into the vehicle.

I didn't state that clearly and forgot to mention it was MDF (I spend more time in caraudio.com forums and it's assumed there). My bad.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
thats what i thought... have you ever gone to the site http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com ? check up on the fab/fiberglass section of the forum. Theres an awsome fiberglasser in sioux falls SD

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 03-25-2007 at 04:33 AM.