Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

6x9s and Component speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6x9s and Component speakers

i was think about going with the polk speakers but i was wondering what you guys all though about the polk speakers, and what speakers you all went with. and what amps and other stuff that you all used.

6x9s
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polk-...oductDetail.do

Component
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polk-...oductDetail.do
Old 05-01-2006, 12:11 PM

I considered these speakers before I bought my Infinities. They look real nice although I have not heard them. I could be wrong but I think these are 4 ohm whereas my Infinities are 2 ohm. If you get 2 ohm speakers your amp can put more wattage through them and they will be louder. Where did you plan on mounting the tweeters? I dremeled the existing Pioneer tweeter location to do a flush mount. I had to use a heat gun to bend the outside around the tweeter so it would be flush.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:16 PM

planed on doing the same thing that you did. and then maby adding more in the back some ware next to the 6x9s. still thinking about that. are you suing an amp with your speakers?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:23 PM

Polks are the best dude, that is the setup that i wanna go with, i already have a polk 12inch dvc sub powered by an alpine amp and a jvc deck.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:54 PM

cool im glad to see that other people like the polks. what amp(s) should i use i was thinking a 4channel kicker 350. (cuz their under rated and realy put out like 425 or so)

any one have any comments on this amp or any other good amps i should look at?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:08 PM

I think its a good idea to go with this amp ,the speakersmo are rated to take 125w of power so the closest you get to this number the louder they will play.But for the rear forget about the 6x9 ang get a good set of midbass drivers like the kicker ss 6in or 8 in,that will sound like hell trust me.anyway you dont want to ear highs coming back from the rear,the soundstage is supposed to be right in your face.A great setup for me is a 12in sub in the trunk,2 8in midbass on the rear deck, 6 1/2 component(woofer in the front door and tweeter on the pillar or in my case on the dash).Hook the sub on a good 2 channel amp bridged and 1 amp on each pair of speakers so you will be able to ajust everything independendly for better tuning.But dude go with your budget and what you like and you ll have a nice setup,youre on a good way
Old 05-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by qcpursuit
I think its a good idea to go with this amp ,the speakersmo are rated to take 125w of power so the closest you get to this number the louder they will play.But for the rear forget about the 6x9 ang get a good set of midbass drivers like the kicker ss 6in or 8 in,that will sound like hell trust me.anyway you dont want to ear highs coming back from the rear,the soundstage is supposed to be right in your face.A great setup for me is a 12in sub in the trunk,2 8in midbass on the rear deck, 6 1/2 component(woofer in the front door and tweeter on the pillar or in my case on the dash).Hook the sub on a good 2 channel amp bridged and 1 amp on each pair of speakers so you will be able to ajust everything independendly for better tuning.But dude go with your budget and what you like and you ll have a nice setup,youre on a good way
Why would you put each speaker on its own amp? And why a 2-CH for the sub, why not mono. I am a certified MECP Tech, and I own my own car audio company online, and I have never heard of doing things the way you are talking about. But if you want good deals on car audio go to my web page athttp://www.lsaudioco.com. Or if you dont see anything you like send me an email with the brand and model # to josh@lsaudioco.com, and I will send you a price. Guarenteed to beat any retailer's price.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:34 PM

theirs nothing on your webpage. and i could care less if i dont have a mono channel amp. im getting one more L7 and what i have sounds fine. and i was talking about 2 2channel amps
Old 05-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Shermen
theirs nothing on your webpage. and i could care less if i dont have a mono channel amp. im getting one more L7 and what i have sounds fine. and i was talking about 2 2channel amps
There is stuff on the page I am just working all of the time, and dont have time to add more products, any way iI'm sure it will sound fine, just it makes more sense to have a mono for the subs, and a 4-Ch for all the highs, and if you want to adjust everything independently then you can buy an Inline EQ.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:21 PM

I want to says a 2 channel amp on each pairs of speakers not on each one and I agree with the sub mono amp if its not a class D amp because theyre too hard on subs( class D make a lot of power but push a lot of scrap in the sub that why I prefer a class AB to push it)
Old 05-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Domestics Pwn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to seem like a dick but Polk speakers suck and you can do much better for the money.
Only good sounding polks ive heard were in a 96 Chevy Pickup with custom sealed enclosures and perfect tweet placement. The speakers used were Polk Momo 6.5" comps.
Ive never once heard them sound better then the competition in factory/unmodified mounting locations.

In that price range you could get a nice set of CDT comps, Alpine Type R, VR series JL comops, or even a pair of Memphis Audio MSync Comps which I happen to really like. Hell, even an entry level set of Boston Acoustics like S60s are superior in my opinion.
But as stated above.. this is just my opinion.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:21 AM

actualy it is my opinion that for the price polk's DB speakers are the best components. I think that they produce a much more real sound than alot of the other speakers out there. Yeah they may not be the loudest but who cares about that, they are clear and distortion free, all they need is to be properly broken in. I have always had good luck with polk products, i guess if you are going for comp grade then check out other speakers but Polk is good stuff!