Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Acadia question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acadia question

I know this is a Cobalt forum but this is the only forum I go on and I know theres quite a few knowledgeable people here. So a family friend has a question, he has a 2008 GMC Acadia with the navigation/ dvd player in the dash. He wants to kno if theres a way to bypass the safety so that a dvd will play on the front screen (in dash) while driving down the road. Now before you think its so the driver can watch it its not, their not that dumb enough to do that. So is there a way to have the front in dash screen play a dvd while driving or is it not possible on the factory HU?
Old 11-05-2008, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know on aftermarket HU's you have to ground the parking brake cable to the main ground but on stock HU's I don't its possible, there should be someking of ground to the parking brake or the transmision that stops it from playing while driving.
however I do not suggest ripping the stock wires apart to re ground it. i think your buddies SOL but mabey I'm wrong.

BTW-I was looking at where you were from, I was born a raised in Welland, went to Notre Dame. Seeing St Kits on your info just took me down memory lane.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there should be some way to bypass it, a friend of mine was able to do it in his M45 with the factory BOSE/Nav system.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 PM

yeah should be able to cuz the wire, and ground it some place
Old 11-06-2008, 12:52 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
stock wont be just simple ground. there wont be a parking brake on a stock HU. GM LAN is probably what determines that

I wouldn't **** with it. (oh alot of the newer units aftermarket arent as easy to bypass especially navigation units)
Old 11-06-2008, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alrighty thanks guys, Ill tell him. He was just wondering if it was possible, but I dont think he wants to be messing with the wiring on a $50K Acadia.

Spun - thats cool so why'd you leave then??, i go to Niagara College at the Welland campus, and I seem some kids from Nd around lunch time. Glad I could take you down memory lane.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:23 AM

Did you try the clicking the parking brake just one notch up trick? I dunno if these Headunits use VSS sensing though but it's worth a try.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spun - thats cool so why'd you leave then??, i go to Niagara College at the Welland campus, and I seem some kids from Nd around lunch time. Glad I could take you down memory lane.
Well my father owned a Ford dealership in Welland called Farr and Fuss Lincon Mercury but he had problems with his partner and not getting to far into details the guy offered my father about double what the shares were worth, so my pops sold them to him.
The company is now called Farr Mercury or Farr Ford and is located in the old Al Slattery building right on Niagra st. Not to far from the college (Should be right beside the KFC/McDonalds)
A dealership is worth alot of $$ so we took the money and bought a Tim Hortons out in Burnaby BC, and then we bought another and another and now theres one more on the way due to open in March. The money you have to invest in a dealership is about a million dollars, the money for a Tims, when we first bought was $350,000 and for the last one was $550,000 the money you make at a dealership per year is about $150,000/year, the money from a Tim Hortons is about $250,000/per year per store. At the time we wanted to buy the only ones avaliable were in BC it was a two year waiting list for a Tims in Ontario so thats why we left and came here, so coles notes = Money.
BTW I lived in Fonthill, in a subdivision on welland road just past Haist the left if your coming from S. Pelham rd but my sister and all my relatives (ere Italian so theres alot of them, but thats pretty normal for the Niagra riegon) still live in Welland and St Cathrines, in fact my grandmother lived on First ave right across from the College, about 10 houses down from that store/pizza place on the corner, I cant believe I remembered all those names I have been in BC since 95 so its been a while.