Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Aftermarket HU w/ Pioneer 7 Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket HU w/ Pioneer 7 Speaker

A while ago, I got it in my head that I wanted a new head unit so I could hook up my ipod and not have to pack cds around all the time. I have an '05 LS with the Pioneer Amp/7 speaker/trunk mounted sub upgrade. I've been reading this forum pretty consistently, but I've been reading conflicting information about how this could work. I took the dash apart and kind of messed around; hooked up an alpine head unit with the wiring harness I got from crutchfield, but it didn't work. To be honest, I pretty much expected that. So, as I understand it, my options are to:

a) completely rewire the car
b) bypass the factory amp by splicing the speaker wire outputs from the deck into the output wires that go from the amp to the speakers, effectively removing the amp from the whole equation.
c) convert the low-level RCA preout from the deck into the high-level speaker wire-type input the amp takes. My question about this option is where can I find a product that does that? I've seen all kinds of high/low converters that change speaker input to RCA output, but is that the same thing? I managed to find a product on JL's website that specifically says it converts RCA input to high level amp output, but there's no price on it and I can't find anywhere to order it online. The JL website just says you have to locate a dealer and find out about it that way. I can do that, but I don't particularly want to. I'd rather just find out how much something like that would cost and if it'll work.

It's really frustrating that everyone seems to be saying different things about this. There's another question very, very similar to mine that was posted recently, but no one seems to be providing the answers I'm looking for. If anybody who has any particular experience with wiring Pioneer 7 speaker Cobalts is listening, I could really use some help. Thanks a lot.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:03 PM

Yeah, I really want to not have to hold my ipod to control it. I have a CDA-9851 and the ipod interface in my tundra and I love it, but I want the same thing in my cobalt.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:26 PM

that is odd, if you buy the wiring harness, the wires should connect to those of the alpine harness, and you should have sound. whatever you do not use one of those low-high level converters.... it will sound like crap, and if anything do a search for one on ebay, the jl one will cost you a bit of money.... did you splice into the factory harness, or get a plug in that plugs into the factory with the wires all labeled, and all you have to do is hook them to the deck harness?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:34 PM

I wanted to get a new unit and keep the 7 speaker as well, I thought someone on here has done it already without re-wiring everytihng.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:55 AM

Hooked up with stock speakers all i used was the wireing harness.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:32 AM

pursuit, i have that same deck!! lol, i want a new one though, but i love that deck, tilt face, all the colors, all the controls.... its a nice one
Old 05-09-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by PursuitGT
Hooked up with stock speakers all i used was the wireing harness.
Ok, so if you dont mind, give us a run down on what you had to have, what you did, what you plugged in and how many problems you had. You may be the answer to our problems.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:11 PM

pursuit feel free to chirp in on this one... All i used, when i switched my deck was a harness from metra i believe it was, that plugs in to the factory harness you pull out of the cd player. Then you read the wire pinouts on the harness of the alpine, which is a little sticker on the deck, and the little thing that comes with the harness. you match up the wires, and then boom, your done. you should have sound.... i had no problems what so ever, and even got to keep the door chimes..... there is also a thing out from a company called PAC that allows you to use the steering wheel controls on certain aftermarket decks, and im about 90% sure that alpine is compatable.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:17 PM

Yup sounds about right except the harness doesnt have a power wire so i attached that to fuse tap or whatever its called and put it on my Sunroof fuse. everything works great and i still have my chimes and everything. nothing at all stoped working when i installed my headunit.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:17 PM

Doublepost

Last edited by PursuitGT; 05-09-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:57 PM

So you kept your stock amp/speakers/sub and everything right? and all you had to do besides pluggin in the harnesses is run a power wire right?

Well hot diggity then. How does it sound, is it an improvement over stock or no diff.?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2006, 05:26 PM

I won't discount the possibility that I screwed something up while wiring my harness to the outputs on the new deck, but I didn't have any sound. I matched up the wires coming out of the deck, i.e. right front speaker positive, right front speaker negative, right rear speaker positive, right rear speaker negative, etc. and crimped them using those whatchamacallits that are sort of like wire nuts. When I fired it up, I had no sound. The new deck worked as far as power coming on, selecting inputs and what have you, but no sound would come out of it. As I delved further into this forum, I noticed that a lot of people said it was due to a discrepency between the speaker level output on the deck and the high level input going to the amp. My crutchfield packet also said I would have to bypass the amp and plug directly into the speakers. I've also heard rumblings of having to change the order of pinouts or connect the blue amp turn-on wire from the deck to some part of the amp. It would be so fantastic if someone who's added a new deck to their Pioneer upgraded stock system could post a detailed description of exactly what was necessary to make it work.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an ALPINE CDA-9831 and it works PERFECT!!!!

i got the head unit from a local shop and an alpine/GM wire harness from crutchfield

no problums and everything works!! the only thing i lost was the ability for the radio to say on once i turn the car off.

(the sig is wrong i've swaped radios)
Old 05-09-2006, 10:02 PM

Make sure the remote amp lead is hooked up the the correct wire on the harness or you speakers will not work.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:03 PM

If your not telling your stock amp to turn on you wont get sound.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 06black
I have an ALPINE CDA-9831 and it works PERFECT!!!!

i got the head unit from a local shop and an alpine/GM wire harness from crutchfield

no problums and everything works!! the only thing i lost was the ability for the radio to say on once i turn the car off.

(the sig is wrong i've swaped radios)
So all you did was plug the wires in and it worked. no finding other wires and all that jazz?

Pursuit GT-what wire was the remote wire for the stock amp. Color I mean.

And how does it sound with the new deck??????
Old 05-10-2006, 01:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a simple plug and play harness and like i said it works just fine!

the only thing i lost was the ability for the radio to stay on after the cars been shut off.

thats more a wireing problum of mine becasue i was probly to lazy to do it rite.

but yea works just fine!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:00 AM

ok guys you really need to watch what you are doing. one mistake and poof an electrical surge could be all she wrote. if you have no power you have to do what i did in my 06 lt coupe, their is a pink wire and it is on the passengerside of your car its called a kick pannel, take it off by just pulling it really hard lol. the look for the fattest wire wich is pink it is your TRUE and i mean TRUE ignition wire [ DONT **** IT UP LOL]. no you need to not CUT IT AND I SAY DO NOT CUT THE WIRE!!!. simple spread the rubber around it so you can see the wire and get an inline fuse and this is a must. ok now take one end and wrap it around the ignition wire and take the other end TO THE POWER WIRE ON YOUR DECK [it is RED] and boom it should work. i have a pioneer 7700mp 6.5 4 ways in front and 6x9 4 ways in rea wich are powered by a pioneer 4ch 600watt amp and i have 2 pioneer 10 inch dvc subs wich are powered by a 760 watt pioneer amp. and i will be willing to be that it blows alpine away. but that is my opinion. if anyone has any questions please send me a messange and i will send pics with details.
thanks,
Shaun
Old 05-10-2006, 11:05 AM

oh and PLEASE TAPE ALL WIRES WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE AND NOT DUCKTAPE LOL thank you.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:06 PM

So the aftermarket deck does not work with the stock pioneer stereo then?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:02 PM

um most times, when i work on my electrical i always disconnect the positive terminal on the battery...... i dont see how i would get some surge....
Old 05-10-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon1
So the aftermarket deck does not work with the stock pioneer stereo then?

YES AFTERMARKET DECKS WORK WITH THE FACTORY AMP AND SPEAKERS.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:17 PM

Well some people reply to this topic and then turns out they have a aftermarket speaker/amp setup so I wanted to be sure.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:23 PM

sorry ive been reading a bunch of topics in this forum and all these people who say "i work at(insert stereo shop name here) and you can not hook up the stock amp with and aftermarket head unit you have to re wire it all"
those people are stupid and shouldnt be working with stereos. I'm almost tempted to rip apart my dash to take pictures of the wireing just to show people how wrong they are.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:26 PM

Please do!! haha

A wiring guide would be handy

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HU w/ Pioneer 7 Speaker