Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Aftermarket HU w/ Pioneer 7 Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get me a good pic of a harness and and the harness from the deck and ill make one.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:10 AM

Well, I got it to work. Here's what I did.

I took PursuitGT's advice about wiring the amp turn-on lead. I read the sticky on this board about the colors/functions of pinouts, and found that the pink wire from the factory radio is the amp turn-on lead. I noticed that the place where the pink wire goes into the factory harness matches up with an unused wire in the harness I got from Crutchfield that's supposed to be for a power antenna. I snipped the weird connector off the blue and white amp turn-on lead from the new deck and crimped it to the power antenna lead that goes into my Crutchfield harness. Bingo! It works finally. I have a couple of weird observations, though. Number one: if I hit mute on the new deck, it doesn't totally mute. It just reduces the sound to what would be a two or three on the regular volume. Number two: the door speakers are being used for the low frequencies a LOT more than they used to. The subwoofer still works, but a lot of the bass is coming from the front door speakers. I don't know if I should be worried about this too much or not. Number three: the new deck is MUCH louder than the factory deck. The volume control on the new deck goes from 0-35 and 10 is about as loud as the factory deck would ever get.

So, to summarize: it sounds really good, but I'm a little worried about overpowering the front speakers. I'm really happy with it, though. Thanks so much to PursuitGT and everyone else who tried to help.

No rewire! No factory amp bypass!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:51 AM

fantastic!!!! blue and white wire to power antenna lead on the harness. great.

BTW-the alpine decks have a attenuation feature, not a full on mute feature.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:49 AM

the reason it doesnt mute is because thats the way Alpine HeadsUnits are they just reduce the volume by half.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PursuitGT
Yup sounds about right except the harness doesnt have a power wire so i attached that to fuse tap or whatever its called and put it on my Sunroof fuse. everything works great and i still have my chimes and everything. nothing at all stoped working when i installed my headunit.
Hmmm.... I told by others in the business of installs that the stock radio has to still connected and put under the dash to get the trip computer oil monitor etc, basically the information center to still work and the air bags too.

if your information center is working that is fine but how do you know that the airbag system is working?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:29 PM

ohh, that would not be good. Anyone know if this is true?
Old 05-12-2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ssnipes
Hmmm.... I told by others in the business of installs that the stock radio has to still connected and put under the dash to get the trip computer oil monitor etc, basically the information center to still work and the air bags too.

if your information center is working that is fine but how do you know that the airbag system is working?

I guess I don't know for sure that the airbag system is working, but I would think that the airbag warning light would come on if it weren't.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:42 PM

Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard why would the radio control the air bags the people that speard this **** around are dumb as ****. im sorry if i come across as an asss but if people dont know for sure they shouldnt ****** talk. my brother has an aftermarket deck and his air bags worked in his cobalt. End of story leave the radio out of the car it controls nothing
Old 05-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Banned

Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard why would the radio control the air bags the people that speard this **** around are dumb as ****. im sorry if i come across as an asss but if people dont know for sure they shouldnt ****** talk. my brother has an aftermarket deck and his air bags worked in his cobalt. End of story leave the radio out of the car it controls nothing

so your brother crashed his cobalt and the airbags went off, right. I have had one shop refuse my car and another that has a harness kit specifically for the cobalt to run the radio to the trunk for mounting. but they have managed to put it under the dash. these guys are good and they do know what they are doing. many customers have won numerous awards for sound system competitions.

But.... does not mean I believe everything I hear. so can you prove your brother crashed his car and airbags went off. dont fly off the handle. and by the way it is the dumbest thing I heard. but I did blow a radio fuse in a 98 windstar.... the headlights would not turn off even removing the keys and the motor would turn over but wouldnt start. replaced the fuse and bam it started right away and everything was normal. DUMBEST THING THAT I HAVE WITNESSED.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:50 PM

Call your local GM dealer and ask them. Why in the world would you need a radio in a car to make your air bags go off. i dont really have a way of proving that my bro crashed and that the bags went off but i have no reason to lie. if they didnt id worn people about but they did so i dont have to. have a nice day
Old 05-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Banned

Call your local GM dealer and ask them. Why in the world would you need a radio in a car to make your air bags go off. i dont really have a way of proving that my bro crashed and that the bags went off but i have no reason to lie. if they didnt id worn people about but they did so i dont have to. have a nice day

Like a dealer is going to know.

Well just so you know I think I am going to do this. buy the radio I want (double din PIONEER DVD) and a harness. put it in. Everything works like you say (and I believe you when you say Why would I lie) then HAPPY DAY> thanks for your help.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:47 PM

Hi im from Manzanillo colima in mexico i have this pontiac g4 coupe same as pursuit or cobalt ss non supercharged but im having some troubles with the instalation of my dvd iva w200 alpine, i bougth a harness and do what you said about conecting the pink wire son the stock amp turn on and i conect the speaker wires that are on the original female harness to the hu. at this moment my hu turns on and all the speakers sound but not the sub and i dont know the reason, can you send me a diagram of what you did to your car and if its possible some pictures of the conection harness and all the explanation so i can install my hu as well as yours. thanks a lot
Raul Ramírez luis_raul81@prodigy.net.mx

if anybody have pictures step by step would be great