Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Aftermarket Radio install help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Radio install help

Hello,

I recently got a 2009 Chevy Cobalt and I wanted to upgrade the radio. I bought an Atoto A6 along with the Metra LC-GMRC-LAN-03 wiring harness. I connected all of the wires according to the metra guide to the Atoto A6. After getting the wires done and plugging the unit in I turned the car on to ACC mode and to my somewhat surprise it worked! I was so excited. i had never done this before, but it seemed to work, yay! Until, the next morning I go to get in my car to go to work and I start the car and the atoto boots up goes to home screen and then restarts. It continues to do this and never stays on the home screen for longer than 3 seconds for the most part. there have been 3 occasions where it came on and stayed on but i cannot seem to find a rhyme or reason why.. anyways, enough back story. In an effort to fix the power cycling I tried to connect the red and yellow wires from the Atoto (constant and ACC power) to just the constant power line as well as just the acc wire and neither worked Still powers up and then restarts. Before I send the unit back I am hoping someone here can diagnose or help me diagnose the issue. I am thinking it might be a wiring issue, but I just don't know enough about car electronics or anything.

So any help would be great.

thanks!
Old 08-02-2019, 08:39 AM

Received 358 Likes on 319 Posts
I don't think it is a wiring issue unless your boot up and restart problem is intermittent like when I wire gains and loses connection. If it is a constant cycle that happens at a fixed frequency even after powering it directly like you described I would guess in is a bad unit. I don't know anything about the specific unit you mentioned but in my experience with aftermarket radios if you have the power wire + ignition wire tied to positive source, and the ground grounded, the unit should work. Only thing I could think to try to verify it isn't a power issue is bypass the ground and power+ignition straight to a power source to eliminate the possibility of any wiring or ground issues just to verify it is a faulty unit. Only other cause I could see is your power supply turning on and off cyclically for some reason though I don't know how that would happen.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Most likely its the unit itself but there is a slight chance the lan harness is the problem. You would want to take it out of the equation (power and ground wise) to check. If you temporarily touch the acc and constant to a power souce and run a new ground it does it again then its the unit.