Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

alarm install (easy or difficult)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alarm install (easy or difficult)

Hello everyone,

I am considering installing an alarm in my 2007 cobalt and doing it myself so i dont pay the $250 in labor fees. I have installed in my car an aftermarket radio with ipod integration in which i did about a year ago and its still working fine. I have custom m3 blinker mirrors with my own circuit board i made and wired up. I am wondering the difficulty of wiring your own alarm system. I came across the wiring diagram for a 2007.

http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wir...obalt/248.html.

PART COLOR LOCATION
12 VOLT CONSTANT RED/BLACK (+) @ BCM, C3, Pin D1, See NOTE *1
STARTER YELLOW (NOT Required for REMOTE START) See NOTE *2 @ PCM, BLUE Plug, Pin 48, 46 or 56, See NOTE *2
STARTER 2 N/A
IGNITION 1 YELLOW (+) @ IGNITION HARNESS or BCM, C4, Pin D3, See NOTE *1
IGNITION 2 N/A
IGNITION 3 N/A
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 BROWN (+) See NOTE #2 @ IGNITION HARNESS or BCM, C4, Pin C8, See NOTE *1
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2 N/A
KEYSENSE N/A
PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) BROWN/WHITE (-) @ HEADLIGHT SWITCH or BCM, C2, Pin 5, See NOTE *1
PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) BROWN (+) IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL or BCM, C2, Pin 5, See NOTE *1
POWER LOCK WHITE (1-Wire Door Lock System) See NOTE *3 IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL or BCM, C1, Pin 7, See NOTE *1
POWER UNLOCK Same wire See DIAGRAMS
DOOR TRIGGER See NOTE *4 IN EACH KICK PANEL or BCM, C1, See NOTE *1
DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION GRAY (-) @ BCM, C3, Pin A10, See NOTE *1
TRUNK RELEASE TAN (-) @ TRUNK RELEASE SWITCH or BCM, C2, Pin 10, See NOTE *1
SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A
HORN TAN (-) @ HORN SWITCH or BCM, C2, Pin 14, See NOTE *1
TACH ANY wire NOT PINK or PINK/BLACK @ ANY FUEL-INJECTOR
WAIT TO START LIGHT N/A
BRAKE LIGHT BLUE (+) @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
FACTORY ALARM DISARM DISARMS with FACTORY REWMOTE ONLY!!
ANTI-THEFT GM'S PASSLOCK 3 TRANSPONDER ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM @ IGNITION TUMBLER
EXTRA INFORMATION
NOTE *1 the BCM is part of the FUSE/RELAY BOX on the front PASSENGER SIDE of the CENTER CONSOLE. The BCM has the following connectors: C1-72 Pin GRAY Plug, C2-72 Pin GRAY Plug, C3-41 Pin RED Plug, and C4-68 Pin LIGHT GRAY Plug, the C4 Plug, is located on the BACK of the BCM. NOTE *2 the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is located on the DRIVERS SIDE FENDER, in FRONT of the UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX. The YELLOW STARTER wire is NOT required for REMOTE STARTING. When the Vehicle sees VOLTAGE on the IGNITION #1 wire and the ACCESSORY wire loses voltage the vehicle will automatically CRANK the STARTER on the vehicle. If the ACCESSORY wire is NOT POWERING up and then lose power and then power up again, you will need to add the ACCESSORY DROP OUT Circuit, and the IGNITION #1 DELAY DIAGRAM, See DIAGRAMS NOTE *3 This vehicle uses a 1-Wire Door Locking System that will require extra parts. The LOCK requires a Straight (-) Negative and the UNLOCK requires a (-) Negative thru a 1500 Ohm Resistor. Some units will also require (2) extra Relays Part #R30-H for this function, to connect See DIAGRAMS. NOTE *4 The DRIVERS DOOR is a GRAY/BLACK (-) Pin 22, The PASSENGERS DOOR is a TAN/WHITE (-) Pin 19, The DRIVERS REAR DOOR is a LIGHT BLUE/BLACK (-) Pin 1 and The PASSENGER REAR DOOR is a LIGHT GREEN/BLACK (-) Pin 20, when connecting to an ALARM SYSTEM use all 4 wires and DIODE ISOLATE, to connect See DIAGRAM
Old 04-24-2008, 06:04 PM

deffinetly F'in difficult...
Old 04-24-2008, 06:07 PM

it not difficult just time consuming. just find te wires and tap them.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:09 PM

I think I would probably let some shop handle this, unless I had a lot of time on my hands.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:11 PM

if u have experience with installing car audio u should be able to do this. what do u think would be so hard about it?
Old 04-24-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by originaladrian
if u have experience with installing car audio u should be able to do this. what do u think would be so hard about it?
i dont see it being that difficult to install an alarm but i wanted to ask around first. I have alot of knowledge with cars and also do everything myself. I am free every weekend and was thinking i could do it in one whole weekend. I am just wondering the wiring diagram on my car is all because i have a 2007 and that could be the tricky part of it. I just dont see the people at best buy smarter than me and they install alarms daily. If they can do i am sure i can.

Originally Posted by BlackMachine
deffinetly F'in difficult...
you ever try it to say its difficult or you just guessing.

Originally Posted by GreenPurgatory
I think I would probably let some shop handle this, unless I had a lot of time on my hands.
I can make free time for something like this.

Last edited by CobaltCpe; 04-24-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a 2007 I herd there is a bypass needed to get around the stock alarm. Maybe that was just for the remote start, but worth checking into anyway.
Have you any schooling in this area at all?
I know what your saying, I have schooling in car audio yet I choose to do it myself. I would much rather know where each and every wire is and what it does so when something goes wrong I know how to fix it, plus I enjoy it.
That being said wiring in an alarm is no joke and unlike the stereo it has the potential to cause serious damage, these cars are one big computer when its all said and done, if you make a mistake you could screw the whole car, how much do you think it costs to replace some of the **** you have to mess with? Starter Kill for example, the point is if you do it yourself then anything you screw up or anything that gets screwed up because of the alarm is not covered under any waranty.
Ask yourself is it really worth the $100.00 it would cost to get it installed?
I do agree with the Best Buy thing, with the exception of a choice few, most of them are idiots, who I can say from personal experiance wouldn't know a GMOS LAN 04 if it smack them in the side of the head, don't go there find a non franchised car stereo shop, one with a few trophy's with a big IASCA written at the bottom and have them do it, chances are they know alot more about car electronics then Best B
BTW-My buddy and I did a Clifford alarm in his 91 jetta, it was a bitch, and he is a service tech for Sears, fixes TV's and washing machines for a living, but taping the fuse box was still a headache, and that was in a 91 jetta, not near as many wires and electronic componets to work around
Old 04-24-2008, 09:10 PM

installing an alarm s a lot harder than you think. after spending all weekend on an alarm for my old maxima i still didnt finish, so icould arm/disarm but had no keyless entry. its a pain but if you know what your doing you will be ok after plenty of time
Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 PM

the hardest part s trying to locate the wires you need to tap. and since there is a ton of wires and usually the one ur looking for is extremly small and in a bundle of 100. places like crutchfield send a guide that tells u exactly what color wire to find and everything/
Old 04-25-2008, 12:02 AM

yeah i went out with my friend tonight and his buddy went to school for car audio and he has installed almarms before and is going to help me install mine over a weekend with some beer so i should be good to go now. Its always nice to have a friend to help.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:02 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
cool glad u got him to help
Old 04-25-2008, 02:02 AM

If it's just an alarm it's a snap. If you're doing the remote/start combo you'll want to be really careful that you aren't using the same wiring diagrams as for an 06 cobalt as the 07's are quite a bit different. I had a ***** of a time with my 07 and then I realized they had the 07 sheets and 06's the same. The 06 has all the connections at the BCM and the 07's are at the column.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:12 AM

took all day. it was pretty fun though.

^^ and that's not including remote start. glad I live in LA.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:57 AM

I have an 07 LT and i would DEFINATELY recommend taking it to the shop... and $250 in labor fees?? where in the hell are u gettin it installed at? dam thats a lot of money. I got mine installed for $50 and make sure your installer is familiar with the new GM wiring system, its more confusing than ud think.. u gotta be able to bypass the stock alarm and it gets pretty confusing. Luckily, my installer was very familiar with the Cobalts
Old 04-25-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spun
If you have a 2007 I herd there is a bypass needed to get around the stock alarm. Maybe that was just for the remote start, but worth checking into anyway.
Have you any schooling in this area at all?
I know what your saying, I have schooling in car audio yet I choose to do it myself. I would much rather know where each and every wire is and what it does so when something goes wrong I know how to fix it, plus I enjoy it.
That being said wiring in an alarm is no joke and unlike the stereo it has the potential to cause serious damage, these cars are one big computer when its all said and done, if you make a mistake you could screw the whole car, how much do you think it costs to replace some of the **** you have to mess with? Starter Kill for example, the point is if you do it yourself then anything you screw up or anything that gets screwed up because of the alarm is not covered under any waranty.
Ask yourself is it really worth the $100.00 it would cost to get it installed?
I do agree with the Best Buy thing, with the exception of a choice few, most of them are idiots, who I can say from personal experiance wouldn't know a GMOS LAN 04 if it smack them in the side of the head, don't go there find a non franchised car stereo shop, one with a few trophy's with a big IASCA written at the bottom and have them do it, chances are they know alot more about car electronics then Best B
BTW-My buddy and I did a Clifford alarm in his 91 jetta, it was a bitch, and he is a service tech for Sears, fixes TV's and washing machines for a living, but taping the fuse box was still a headache, and that was in a 91 jetta, not near as many wires and electronic componets to work around

Yeah, take it to a mom and pop shop, that'll guarentee it to be done right. I install for Best Buy and let me tell you there are just as many morons doing it for local shops as there are for the big box shops. It's not the company it's just the particular installer, I have two guys that work for me and I will put money on it that you won't find a better place to have work done then here. As for being smarter than Best Buy installers, some yes, all hell no. Maybe you can do it yourself and for the sake of you and your car I hope you can, but I love when I get to fix do it yourselfers **** ups.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:15 AM

If you are doing a remote start too, get CAN-SL2 and it will make your life a lot easier. You then only have to hook up, Power, Ground, BCM input, BCM ByPass and Brake Input. 5 Wires and you are done for the auto start. If you want the Alarm as well run the Horn output to the door triggers and use the Factory alarm + whatever Aftermarket Alarm you want.

http://ifar.ca/en/products/can_bus_kits/can-sl2/

You will need some type of module if the 07 is the same as the 05. I know my factory alarm comes on 30 seconds after the doors are locked and cannot be turned off with anything other than the factory remote. You need a module to communicate with the BCM and turn off the Factory alarm.

I think I used the INT-SL from ifar to do my alarm by-pass, but the CAN-SL2 should work too... Personally I don't see much need for an aftermarket alarm, our alarms are quite good. The only thing I added was an infra-sonic sensor in case they smashed my windows, and thats only because I had the Auto-Start in already...

Also don't attempt it if you haven't done it before... You can start to damage things if you start wiring things up incorrectly and that gets expensive really fast. Its really important on cobalts where you are taping into the BCM lines to do the alarm/starter.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:51 PM

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering,I have an 07 LS with no factory alarm system,I am wanting to install a very simple alarm system no remote start or anything,can anyone provide any information on the diagram? Its just going to be a simple shock sensor and a sensor for when the doors are opened and possible the trunk,thanks!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:07 PM

guys your assuming he has the 07 with the stock alarm.

for instance mine, DOES NOT.