Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

All you Audio/Electronics freaks out there, give me a hand...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb All you Audio/Electronics freaks out there, give me a hand...

... in designing and planning my final build. If you gentleman (and ladies) haven't noticed, my list of mods (most waiting for install when I get back from Iraq) has grown exponentually with the rapidly approaching day of my return stateside.

So what do I need help with? Well, the design/choices of my audio system for one. Plus ideas for any other electronics and lighting for another.

Right now, the plan for the audio system is to stay with the Stock 6-Disc Changer/XM/iPod integrated headunit and feed it's output into a RF 3Sixty.2. I was strongly considering a Streetdeck computer system, but there seems to still be problems with it right now and I don't feel like spending 2.5k on somethng that is still basicly in beta testing.

From there, I plan on running two 4-channel amps and a large mono, four front speakers, four rear speakers, two 6.5" subs (with interal amp), and two low-pro 10" subs.

For the front speakers, two will go in the stock points and two will go into the kick panels. Then a 6.5" sub will go under each front seat firing upward. All four rear speakers will go onto the rear deck. For the subs, custom fiberglass boxes will be built into the rear groves behind the rear wheel wells, with custom amp/EQ/cap racks in front of the wheel wells. This will actually leave almost all of the trunk still avalible for use, along with looking very neat and clean.

As for lighting/electronics, right now I have a custom made 4-button switch box (and am thinking about getting a second if I can come up with enough stuff to warrant it) that can handle 20 amps a channel. I have four 12" red LED light bars for under the dash and front seat, some red LED headlight tinters, and a red Interceptor gauge. The led bars will go on one button, along with any other interior lights, while the headlight leds will go on another.

Future additions already planned on are a red Raptor Shift Light, Autometer Red LED bulbs for the stock boost gauge/Speedo/Tach, and a Vision Bulbs interior light set.

So what is it I need? Well, I need input and suggestions on the brand and type of speakers and amps. I need input and suggestions on additional lighting and electronics. I need input and suggestions on any other custom modifications.

Just remember, for the audio I'm looking for SQ, not SPL.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
ooo nice setup... things that concern me are space in the kicks for 6.5 midrange's If they are not possible i would looks at 5.25 in kick and doors (it think it would look nice to cut out stock grill and mount them there either IB or with a fiberglass enclosure) but if yu did downsize to 5.25 i would move your midbass to the back of the doors... im not sure how they are going to sound under the seat but with 6.5 mids you wont have much to fill vs the 5.25 you will need those midbasses to be free

any idea on brands?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:37 PM

How did I know you would be the guy to answer.

Yea, I'm thinking Zaptec, MB Quart, Image Dynamics, or Diamond right now, though a few others have passed through my head. The 6.5 midbass speakers I was looking at are designed to be mounted under the seat and their just to fill that little bit of audio gap. Plus, bass shooting right up that way is always nice for the girl ridding in the passenger seat.

I was going to baffle all of the mid range speakers, cut the stock grills, and use some polished aluminum ones to go with the rest of the trim. Also was going to use components in the front and replace the stock tweeters. Going with 5.25s in the kicks is a good idea. I think I might use 6.5s on the back dash instead of 6x9s as well.

Any recommendations on brands yourself? I know I know, I'm actually not looking at Kenwood! GASP! Yes, this is still me. I already looked at getting all titanium coned components with carbon fiber shallow subs. Then I realised I already did a Kenwood show truck, might be interesting to try something different.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:51 PM

For an integrated Ipod setup I would upgrade the head unit to the navigational version with screen if you haven't. Otherwise, if I understand correctly, you will only be able to navigate playlists with your stereo.

I have an '06 SS 2.4L with the pioneer system, XM unit and I am getting the GM/Ipod setup that hooks into the XM unit. On mine I will only be able to navigate playlists on Ipod. I am looking at this one:
http://www.neocaraudio.com/product_i...oducts_id=5017

The benefit is obviously being able to control the ipod with the steering wheel controls.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:44 PM

I think you mean ZAPCO and not ZAPTEC. ZAPCO is a very high quality company for their amps and processors. In my opinion they make the best amps and processors available at any cost. The DC REFERENCE and Reference line are both awesome and the C2K line is amazing as well. The iForce line can push some stuff very loud at an affordable cost. We're running a REF500.1 to our JL Audio 12W3V2D4 in our boat and this thing pounds at an unreal level for 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms.

But like I said I have that Diamond Stuff I can get you from my buddy, I pm'd you about it. He has everything you need and I wanted to talk to you about going with a single 12 over two 10's because I've got one hell of a deal for you.

Last edited by silver_fox; 10-08-2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-09-2007, 05:29 AM

Doh, typing way to fast. Yea, ZAPCO.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:08 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
all those are good brands to pick... you look like your going in the right direction. Just dont mix sizes with freqs (like if u go with 5.25 for kicks stay with them in doors) not like i ahve to tell you that but hey.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:19 AM

Yea, well you saw my plans. Four 6.5"/1" components up front, four 6x9" rear, two 8" midbass under the seats, and two 10" or 12" short stroke subs.