Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Alpines or Infinity's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpines or Infinity's?

Alright so im getting subs relatively soon and have not decided whether or not i wanna get Inifinity perfect kappa's or Alpine type-r's....im gonna get 10"...i love infinity but have heard alpine r's are pretty good as well....let me know what you think
Old 02-03-2006, 05:01 PM

the infinity will make slightly better use of the power you can put to it, it's dB rating is 2 higher than the alpine. (i.e. if your power supply is 1000w, the infinity will be more efficient with it) will you notice? probably not.

my suggestion is to go listen to them. i thought i wanted alpines at one time because they matched the interior of the car i had at the time and i thought they were good, but i listened to jl's in the same box with the same power and they blew the alpines away in every dimension, so i threw down a little extra coin for them.

i'd honestly reccommend a jl10w3 with 300 watts to it over either of those.

you will probably get a ton of responses with objections and recommendations for other products. car audio opinion threads always open huge cans of worms.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:11 PM

what amp are you running your jl 10w3's? and how much the subs normally go for?
Old 02-17-2006, 02:50 AM

I would go with the Alpine Type-R's. I have 2 12" Type-R's the newer version in a slot ported box with a MMATS 1500.1 Amp and damn they hit hard. I bought them from a local shop after listening to about 4 other brands. 1 type-r beat 2 of every sub they had. I really like mine and highly recommend Alpine. If you have any Q's feel free to ask, nick10_2001@yahoo.com
Old 02-17-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by NoleafClover
what amp are you running your jl 10w3's? and how much the subs normally go for?
i don't have it, that's just what i reccomend from what i listened to when i was buying.

i chose 2 jl12w0's over 2 12" alpine type-r's

listen to them both at the store with the same amp powering them and you'll see what i mean, the alpines can't touch JL's clarity and their ability to play lower
Old 02-17-2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by SSweet06
I would go with the Alpine Type-R's. I have 2 12" Type-R's the newer version in a slot ported box with a MMATS 1500.1 Amp and damn they hit hard. I bought them from a local shop after listening to about 4 other brands. 1 type-r beat 2 of every sub they had. I really like mine and highly recommend Alpine. If you have any Q's feel free to ask, nick10_2001@yahoo.com
I agree with him, I have the same set up with only a JL 500x1, and it is clear, and loud, I am getting another 500x1 so each sub has one driving it.... look out, prolly going to cause parts to fall off the car. All my stuff besides my amps is alpine, cd player, cd changer, and components, I had an alpine amp driving my speakers, but i replaced it with a jl e4300 at x mas, my system is now very loud, and there is nearly no distortion what so ever, I am also running an audiobahn 1 farad cap, which i want to replace with something larger. I think alpine and JL are 2 of the best highend audio companies out there, and i would recomend them to everyone...
Old 02-17-2006, 04:50 PM

if you did go with jl subs, you dont even need 2, one w6v2 or even a w7 would be good, they are very heavy though. I know someone with a JL 1000x1 and a w7, and it is the loudest thing i have ever heard. Even the alpine type x subs are good, they have come down a lot in price, those will be the next ones i get when i replace mine..... it isnt always the sub thats bad, most of the time it is what kind of amp it is, so take that into careful consideration
Old 03-19-2006, 11:35 PM

GO ALPINE. Personally. the kappa's arent to bad. i would get a type-r and get a kenwood mono(500 rms @ 4 ohms) or the alpine mono its 600rms @4ohms. Alpine is alot clearer and sounds better. go with a vented box..and seal it. good luck with it
Old 03-19-2006, 11:51 PM

I agree.... Alpines are clear.... I heard a set of kicker comp vr 10's at circuit city yesterday, with a kicker 800 watt amp driving them, i have to say they sounded very nice......
Old 03-20-2006, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by iLLmaTic3s
go with a vented box..and seal it.
wtf does that mean? lol

alpineR>infinityKappa
alpineR=infinityPerfect

JL is way overrated and every person that thinks they know something about car audio swears by them as being the best, when they are faarrr from it...
Old 03-20-2006, 10:36 AM

there are a couple types of boxes.

bandpass
ported
vented
sealed

with a vented box you can have the option to seal the vent shut or just to leave it open so some air flows out. air flowing out of ports or vents make the sub less clear and at times make the the beat of the song sound not correct. sealing the vent or having a sealed box makes you hear everything.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:59 AM

you would not want to do that... most subs that are worth listening too require small sealed boxes and about .5 to 1 cubic foot larger ported boxes...
you are correct about losing some clarity in a ported box, thats why they are usually used for SPL contests, and sealed boxes for SQ...
in a sealed box you can run more power to the woofer much safer than in a ported box because there is so much resistance on the speaker...
not sure what you meant by you can hear everything in a sealed box... you still wont get the low notes that a tuned port would give...

but back on topic...

i have installed a 10" typeR in the back of a 03 civic 2dr on a 600watt jbl mono amp... the box i built was small, somewhere around 1.25cubic ft, with a small square port something like 2.5"x3"... tuned between 31-35hz... (it was last summer when i did this, but i can find the numbers if you're interested)... but yea, it did sound great

and by the way... ported and vented are the same thing... its basically a tuned 'tube' that helps out with the low notes...
and do NOT put either of those woofers mentioned in a bandpass box kthx
Old 04-22-2006, 03:08 AM

Speaking of infinity, what would be the best choice for the front stage. Infinity Kappa 62.7i 2way, or Focal Access 165CA 6.5" coaxial speakers. They both have the benifits of a directional tweeter, and they are both priced as rough same.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:35 AM

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't put any subs in your car. I don't know how people drive with that annoying boom shaking there whole car and essentially their brains. And plus its just gonna weight down your car even more. Go with more looks than sound, you'll get more whoas and you'll be happier in the long run.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:38 AM
MaJ

I've always been a fan of Alpine, but pretty much every company out there makes a great product. I myself just picked up one of the newest 12" Type-R's last week, in a single slot ported box. It sounds fantastic, and hits harder then my previous dual Type-S 12's, even though it's only 1 sub now.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cobaltcoupe
In my personal opinion, I wouldn't put any subs in your car. I don't know how people drive with that annoying boom shaking there whole car and essentially their brains. And plus its just gonna weight down your car even more. Go with more looks than sound, you'll get more whoas and you'll be happier in the long run.
Your hearing the sound from the outside. that is not the same as what you hear inside with all the other tones. you need to experience it and you would come around. but I have to agree there are some people will setup their system so it is all bass and drowns out the other sounds.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go with infinity. with proper selection of components you cant go wrong with either speakers. infinity has a special name. yep its all about name in this choice. you make either sound super. just becareful on selection of box with speaker and amp selection. you have to think of what kind of music you play and what kind of bass sound you want. a repretable car audio shop will help you achieve what you want. if they dont ask these questions of you then they are just trying to sell not help you with making a system that will please you.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by sunrise_mj
JL is way overrated and every person that thinks they know something about car audio swears by them as being the best, when they are faarrr from it...
i never said they were the best, i just personally like how they sound to me for my taste.

what do you think is the best?

i think there is no best...it's just what sounds good to you
Old 04-22-2006, 11:22 AM

Personnelly I like Kenwoods KFC-W3514DVC, which are titanium coned 12" subs with dual 4ohm coils. They also have the KFC-XW1002DVC which is a 10" with dual 2ohm coils.
If you really want to be sick, they have their KFC-XW1100DVC with dual 3ohm coils, but I would only suggest one of those.

I plan on running a pair of the W3514DVC's with a pair of 9102D. That and two 8452 or 8402 for the mid/highs. Head I want is an X990, feeding into a pair of KGC-9044s, each of which will be feeding a 84X2, with the sub amps running right from the head unit. And if I want even more bass, I still got a front and rear bass out. I was thinking about midbass drivers, but can't figure out *ANYWHERE* to mount them.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:19 PM

jl are one of the greatest sound quality brand on the market BUT they are very very fragile,this their major weekness and the reason why ill never invest on jl products.

for the sub box please check the specs of the sub before building a box,search on the internet for a box volume calculator because the company give you a ordinary setup so if you want the box that will make your sub sound like you want you should search and make your own box based on your sub specs and your music taste,my box for my audiobahn was totally out of the specs of the company and it sound like I want.Please do not buy a 49$ box at future shop it sound like crap