Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Am I doing something wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I doing something wrong?

so after 2 layers of damplifier pro and 1 layer of SPL tiles (100% coverage for all 3 layers) on my trunk lid, on high frequencies it still rattles very bad, on lower freq notes the trunk is basically silent all I can hear is the 3rd brake light making a small clicking noise...

the only thing i can possibly think of is that its because i only have these dampers on the inner layer of sheet metal on the trunk lid. as you may know the trunk lid is basically 2 pieces of sheet metal (inner piece = closest to cabin, outer piece is what you can see from outside the car) i think it would be quite difficult to get damplifier layed on the outer layer since i can barley fit my hand in the opening.

does anyone have ANY ideas? i was thinking about lodging a few tennis ***** inbetween the 2 pieces of sheet metal because i have heard of others doing this will help with bracing. any opinions on that idea?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Youre right, getting that inner layer is going to be difficult no matter how you cut it, also, consider the rest of the surrounding panels, i.e; the rear quarters, inner deck, hell, even the trunk's floor...Sounds a little overkill i'm sure, but I've always been taught that all the surrounding panels vibrate, which made sense to me.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 PM

everything you said except the quarter panels are also 100% covered with damplifier pro, i plan to do the QP's as soon as i get my next shipment of SPL tiles
Old 11-11-2009, 10:56 PM

The loop that the trunk latch latches too should be covered in electrical tape if it isn't already. That is probably your rattle.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:58 PM

ok good deal then. Get the QP's knocked out and see what happens. IF it is still occuring, it'll cost you shop time and paint, but the best way to seal that trunk lid is to seperated the halves, apply the tiles and re-weld em together, unless there is some new high speed way of doing that, that's all I can think of, but I've been out of the sound game for a while now.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by slowswap
The loop that the trunk latch latches too should be covered in electrical tape if it isn't already. That is probably your rattle.
im not really sure what you mean by loop but im about to go see if i can figure out what you mean.

Originally Posted by Kritter
ok good deal then. Get the QP's knocked out and see what happens. IF it is still occuring, it'll cost you shop time and paint, but the best way to seal that trunk lid is to seperated the halves, apply the tiles and re-weld em together, unless there is some new high speed way of doing that, that's all I can think of, but I've been out of the sound game for a while now.
i would love to do that but im not really willing to do all that just to lay some damplifier. and i dont see how damping the QPs will affect the trunk lid?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:04 PM

not saying it is, just may be a contributing factor. The only way I can see them effecting the lid is if the vibrations transmit through the trunklid shocks and into the lid itself, depends on how much you're pushing out though
Old 11-11-2009, 11:39 PM

Random image I found. The part on the bottom middle. It's the loop that the latch on the deck lid it self latches too.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:12 AM

Have you stop to think its not your trunk lid rattling.
How much deadner do you have on the upper and lower part of the deck lid? (where your rear speakers are)
Have you removed the plastic vent from the passenger side?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Spun
Have you stop to think its not your trunk lid rattling.
How much deadner do you have on the upper and lower part of the deck lid? (where your rear speakers are)
Have you removed the plastic vent from the passenger side?
ive got damp pro on both sides of the deck lid, what plastic vent are you talking about?

and i see what your talking about the latch but i dont see how that would rattle since when the trunk is closed it should hold it in place?

btw i was looking at it and i can probably get some SPL tiles on to the outer piece of the trunk lid but i wouldnt be able to get 100% coverage maybe just a few poorly placed tiles on each side.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:02 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
brick the best way to figure out wtf is going on in a car is hold an area with ur hand. crank that **** up stand behind your car and put a hand on each side of the trunk lid and press forward... does the soudn go away. then thats the problem trunk lid and or weather stripping surrounding it

do that for me see what happens. also try it on the bumper. try opening the lid and pushing on the part where the bumper/trunk lid meet (my main rattle)
Old 11-12-2009, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
brick the best way to figure out wtf is going on in a car is hold an area with ur hand. crank that **** up stand behind your car and put a hand on each side of the trunk lid and press forward... does the soudn go away. then thats the problem trunk lid and or weather stripping surrounding it

do that for me see what happens. also try it on the bumper. try opening the lid and pushing on the part where the bumper/trunk lid meet (my main rattle)
when i open the trunk lid there are no rattles at ALL, and if it was just one side of the lid resonating would i just need to lay mat on that side? my gas tank rattles but its plastic so i dont really know what to do with that...and i was hit from behind like a year ago and they put my back bumper on fucked up i think so i get rattles on the drivers side where it meets the QP...its also gunna be basically impossible to get tiles on the outer shell on the QP since theres another piece of sheet metal blocking it off inside the trunk...
Old 11-12-2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by brickloaf
and i see what your talking about the latch but i dont see how that would rattle since when the trunk is closed it should hold it in place?
It's two metal pieces that do not form a fit that is tight enough that it won't rattle. Like I said, wrap that loop 3-4 times with electrical tape.

Solves 99% of rattles in all of my friends cars from DD mild systems to SPL systems.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by slowswap
It's two metal pieces that do not form a fit that is tight enough that it won't rattle. Like I said, wrap that loop 3-4 times with electrical tape.

Solves 99% of rattles in all of my friends cars from DD mild systems to SPL systems.
alright ill def wrap that up, but im kinda past the point of rattles is basically the brute force of the sub making all the sheet metal resonate.

it sounds awesome inside the car its just when your outside all the panels are vibirating

ordered 25 more spl tiles last night, i plan on putting as much as i can on the outer trunk layer, as much as i can on the QP's, 2-4 tiles on each door, and im hoping i can slap one on my gas tank to help with that.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:05 AM

oh and brinkloaf u can get dampener on the quarter panel. u just have to want to hard enough. there are a very select few places i haven't got dampener and the QP isnt one of them.

have u tried pushing on the bumper where the lid and bumper meet to see if that gets rid of some rattling? that part with those 4 clips

check this thread out... post 12 might be helpful
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forum...ead.php?t=6061
Old 11-13-2009, 08:50 PM

oh and brinkloaf u can get dampener on the quarter panel. u just have to want to hard enough. there are a very select few places i haven't got dampener and the QP isnt one of them.

have u tried pushing on the bumper where the lid and bumper meet to see if that gets rid of some rattling? that part with those 4 clips

check this thread out... post 12 might be helpful
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forum...ead.php?t=6061
is the trunk the only way you can get to the QP? from the trunk i could maybe cover like 20% of the qp but the qp extends all the way to rear seats and i def cant get to that from the trunk. id like to avoid taking everything out of my trunk but i guess i might have to.

and my bumper dosent rattle it just sounds like its being punched from the other side on certain notes

and about the weather stripping, do you reccomend that just to keep out wind noise and outside air? or is it suppose to help with rattling/sealing the trunk?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:39 PM

supposed to give you a better seal keeping out wind noise for your doors and rattling for the trunk. my trunk is fine now but i plan on doing this as well as new weather stripping for the doors sometime in the future
Old 11-13-2009, 11:33 PM

supposed to give you a better seal keeping out wind noise for your doors and rattling for the trunk. my trunk is fine now but i plan on doing this as well as new weather stripping for the doors sometime in the future
well your subs dont face your trunk so thats why you dont have a problem there

and ill honestly be pissed if spl tiles on the outer sheet of the trunk lid dosent GREATLY reduce the vibrations cause i probably have like 50-60 dollars if not more worth of sound damp on my trunk lid alone

also your gunna have to tell me how you got to the QP, i pulled the back seat trim up and i still cant get to the outer layer of the QP

heres what i want to do with the 25 tiles

2-4 on each door (towards the center of door panel)
as much as i can possibly lay down on the outer trunk lid layer (1 layer only)
1 tile on the bottom of my gas tank
small piece on exterior door handles (so its visible when you pull the handle to open door)
gas cap? (never checked but i imagine that makes some noise on certain notes)
and roof (not a huge problem for me, just some tiles in the very middle to stop the small vibrations)
as much as possible on QP's
rear bumper

here are my problems.

i have no idea how im going to get to the problem areas of the QP, and I have no idea how to remove the headliner, also dont know how to take the bumper off....

Last edited by brickloaf; 11-13-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-14-2009, 02:06 AM

lol well theres 2 ways to get rid of all the rattles. one is put dampener everywhere. full coverage+ extra will do some **** if you dont know where its rattling

but more efficiently you need to see whats rattling. you can spend 3k on dampening everything and ur rattling light is just chilling

you already know it stopps rattling when the trunk opens... so dampening the trunk lid should help but may be that stripping.. did you try pushing in on the trunk to see what happens?
Old 11-14-2009, 01:16 PM

lol well theres 2 ways to get rid of all the rattles. one is put dampener everywhere. full coverage+ extra will do some **** if you dont know where its rattling

but more efficiently you need to see whats rattling. you can spend 3k on dampening everything and ur rattling light is just chilling

you already know it stopps rattling when the trunk opens... so dampening the trunk lid should help but may be that stripping.. did you try pushing in on the trunk to see what happens?
yea pushing in on the trunk lid got rid of the noise so i could just feel the bass

also pushing on the lip of the bumper right next to the trunk lid when its closed stopped some nosie

QP's make a whole lotta vibration noise on high freq notes

gas tank noise was fixed simply by pushing up on one point.

not a whole lot of noise from the roof but i can def hear it vibirating lightly, same with door panels.

spl tiles will be here wednesday, im thinking about just stripping everything out of my trunk tuesday night so i can have full access when i go to lay the tiles

Last edited by brickloaf; 11-14-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-15-2009, 01:11 AM

well sounds like you have your work cut out for you. lol i thought only the trunk lid was rattling and opening it got rid of all the rattles. Hey man if you have any questions let me know. Ive been real busy lately hence being on the forums less but ill try and check up on this thread
Old 11-15-2009, 12:51 PM

yea once i get all these tiles down ill post up and tell everyone how i still need to buy more tiles cuz its still rattling

i didnt realize this til a few days ago but at a low volume you can hear the bass from my car alot farther than when its cranked up all the way...because of all the vibrations

thats my motivation for fixing all this ****
Old 11-15-2009, 01:57 PM

lol looks like youve been bit my friend. originally that's all i wanted was to get rid of the rattles. next thing u know by the time u get rid of the rattles the road noise starts getting to you
Old 11-15-2009, 03:13 PM

lol looks like youve been bit my friend. originally that's all i wanted was to get rid of the rattles. next thing u know youve spent 3grand on sound deadening and dont give your subs the opportunity to rattle ANYTHING, and by that time youve already gotten rid of all road/wind/exhaust noise
fixed
Old 11-15-2009, 08:50 PM

lol i wish man. im close thou. i have a gallon of spectrum and 30sq ft of damp pro to hopefully fix the rest