Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Amp Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp Questions

Hey Guys Quick Question. Just wanted to know if a 1000 WATT crossfire amp is good enough to push 2 Kicker L7s Subs?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:22 PM

Need more info on the amp to really give you an opinion. Is this your amp?

Also what size are your L7s, and are they 4 ohm or 2 ohm voice coils?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To give you a quick tip on picking audio equipement.

Look at the RMS, not the MAX. You want to try and match the RMS of your subs and the RMS of your amplifier to the best. The RMS basically is telling you what you will actually be constantly pushing out as far as power.

Example: If you have a channel Amplifier that has an RMS of 800 watts and you have 2 subwoofers that have an RMS of 400 watts, that'd be a perfect match. This will get a great sound out of your subwoofers....clearity is key.

One last tip, buy bigger brand names. The bigger the brand name, the better quality. For the most part, in audio, you're buying a name cause that name comes with a reputation and quality as well. When you go to wal-mart and buy cheap subwoofers off the shelf, you're buying a no name companies product and cheap quality (sound). You get what you pay for.

Good luck on your system.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always loved Sony AMPs and JL Subs
Old 10-30-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
fosgate ftw
Old 10-30-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by mesatrin
Need more info on the amp to really give you an opinion. Is this your amp?

Also what size are your L7s, and are they 4 ohm or 2 ohm voice coils?
I have 2 12" L7s and the crossfire amp was recommended form the dude in the shop. Not to sure of the OHM
Old 10-30-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
did you already buy it?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
did you already buy it?
Actually im getting all this installed and should be done by 2morrow afternoon. I should have pics up soon.
1 Eclipse AVN5500 head unit (navigation, DVD,CD)
2 Memphise Mids
2 Memphise 6" X 9"
2 12" Kicker L7's
1 Crossfire 1000 WATT amp
1 crossfire AMP for the Mids

what do u guys think
Old 10-30-2006, 10:26 PM

If it is the crossfire that I gave a link to (it was the only 1000W crossfire I could find) it is way underpowering those L7's. No matter what ohm they are it is either going to be hooked up at a ohm load that it can not handle, so if it will even play it wont last long at all. Or the other option is to hook them up at a 2ohm load and it is going to not even move them giving 150 W to each coil when they want like 375 W each coil.

For the most part L7's are ment to be loud and not ment much for clarity. Yours will have a hard time getting loud and if you try to push them hard with that amp you will kill your speakers. You will try to pull way more than that amp can give and you will be clipping the hell out of it most likely. Be careful, and make sure that who ever is installing it knows what they are doing. Your speakers can run perfectly fine with less wattage than they need as long are you do not try to drive the amp pasts it's limits. Usually people do this by running full volume, full gain, and full boosts to make it apear louder and stonger than it really is for brief periods of time with high distortion. Make sure they are a respectable dealer and not some hole in the wall. If it is that amp that I gave you a link to and the guy from the shop suggested it for those L7s, I would not let that shop touch my car.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by mesatrin
If it is the crossfire that I gave a link to (it was the only 1000W crossfire I could find) it is way underpowering those L7's. No matter what ohm they are it is either going to be hooked up at a ohm load that it can not handle, so if it will even play it wont last long at all. Or the other option is to hook them up at a 2ohm load and it is going to not even move them giving 150 W to each coil when they want like 375 W each coil.

For the most part L7's are ment to be loud and not ment much for clarity. Yours will have a hard time getting loud and if you try to push them hard with that amp you will kill your speakers. You will try to pull way more than that amp can give and you will be clipping the hell out of it most likely. Be careful, and make sure that who ever is installing it knows what they are doing. Your speakers can run perfectly fine with less wattage than they need as long are you do not try to drive the amp pasts it's limits. Usually people do this by running full volume, full gain, and full boosts to make it apear louder and stonger than it really is for brief periods of time with high distortion. Make sure they are a respectable dealer and not some hole in the wall. If it is that amp that I gave you a link to and the guy from the shop suggested it for those L7s, I would not let that shop touch my car.
No thats not the amp i was speaking about. Here is the link to the AMP i was talking about.
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Crossfire...splay_~reviews
Old 01-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

kjfoasifjlaksjfalsjkflksjfoasifjslakfjll,mklvoihjv xozkvjklz/jvl/afn/akfnaosifhaopifjlakfs,.mnfaslfosi;fh/ksfnoafal/snvo'ihawo'erhfasnkl/vnaso'vfbhasfjklas'/fh;awuiofbjkasbv;isbfawkjbfgawbfawjk.bfask.bf f asfbaobfhawhrfao;whfkawmans fa/kofkajsbfawk/fak/sfna sj afjsalijf alsjfoasifj lasfjilajfia fjalsfjasli jf asfil ailsfjalsjiflaisfj j ajafjaf jjalfijalfalsjf fkjl jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjdddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwww