Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Anyone fimilar with VW audio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone fimilar with VW audio?

Im gonna be doing an install for a friend on mine on his 04 Passat with Monsoon system. I'll be putting in a Pioneer single din and 4 pioneer speakers.

Now the questions...

Is the monsson system like the Pioneer system that comes in the SS, meaning does it require the elaborate/expensive harness?

And when i do the speakers, can i just remove the old ones and put the new ones in? Their just gonna have a +/- connection correct? And they wont need another amp right? They just play at whatever they are able to from the headunit and factory amp right?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 PM

while i am not familiar with it hands on, stereo's are stereo's so good choice coming here.

You will NOT need an LOC, as the stock deck is actually outputting normal high outputs to the monsoon "amp", which from what I've been reading is more of a crossover than an amp as power output reportedly does not decrease much if at all if you bypass it.

I do believe these color codes should match up, at least the wires outputting should.

Outputs of Monsoon amp:

1 + Left Rear Woofer Pur
2 – Left Rear Woofer Brn
3 + Right Rear Woofer Pur
4 – Right Rear Woofer Brn
5 + Left Rear Tweeter Blu
6 – Left Rear Tweeter Brn/Blu
7 + Right Rear Tweeter Blu
8 – Right Rear Tweeter Brn/Blu
9 + Left Front Tweeter Red/Grn
10 – Right Front Tweeter Brn/Red
11 – Left Front Tweeter Brn/Grn
12 + Right Front Tweeter Red
13 – Left Front Woofer Brn/Ylw
14 + Left Front Woofer Ylw
15 – Right Front Woofer Brn/Wht
16 + Right Front Woofer Wht

Inputs for Monsoon From HU on grey connector

14 + In Left Rear Blu
15 – In Left Rear Brn
17 – In Right Rear Brn
18 + In Right Rear Grn
20 + In Left Front Ylw
21 – In Left Front Brn
23 + In Right Front Brn
24 – In Right Front Red
Old 07-24-2009, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The VW's have a CAN Databus system in them, just like the SS Cobalts.
This means it will require an expensive harness:
http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1857

Now like the Cobalts you can go with a cheap harness and use a fuse tap for the 12 volt ign wire, but you will loose the chimes and to be honest I'm not sure what else gets wiped out in VW's.
You will also have to find and splice into the the amp turn on wire (remote) as I'm sure its not part of the cheaper harness

Your also going to need a metra 88-00-9008 for mounting the single din HU and a metra 40-EU55 antenna adapter
Old 07-25-2009, 09:58 AM

thanks alot guys. great info.

say i show him the hanress hes gonna need and he decides he wants to keep the stock head unit, the speakers are still just a +/- connection (door speakers) right? they should just swap right in?

reason im doing this is he has speakers and a head unit from his last car and doesnt like the monsoon head unit and i guess 2 of the door speakers are shot.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep
They might have little adapter pieces on the wires to fit the speakers but you can just cut them off and put regular female speaker ends on. Or you can twist the wire but I don't suggest it.
You can pick up the Female speaker ends at any auto store, or even Walmart for a couple bucks for a package of them
Old 07-25-2009, 03:17 PM

The vw probably has stock component speakers so there are probably tweeters in the dash or somewhere, that might require a little more wiring to either eliminate them or use them with the new speakers. If there is a crossover involved than you might not get any highs out of the new speakers if you just plug them in. Just a thought, I'm no expert by any means
Old 07-25-2009, 03:26 PM

The deck's high voltage outputs should be fed into the monsoon "amp" inputs. Don't feed that amp RCA lines if his aftermarket deck has em. The monsoon amp accepts four high level channels, +- front/rear, and converts them to 8 channels. You can go ahead and hook his aftermarket speakers, but no gauruntees how good the system will sound overall since you may be underfeeding your woofers and properly feeding your tweets.

make any sense?