Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Anyone know about this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know about this?

I have an LT with the pioneer sub in it. Obviously there is some type of amplifier on it, but how is it wired? Are all the necessary wires already run to swap in a better amp/sub combo? (such as power, ground, remote and RCA's? Any info would be a big help.

Thanx
AJ

Also, I forgot, if all the wires are there what size power and ground?

Last edited by lockdown0u812; 02-12-2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-12-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by lockdown0u812
I have an LT with the pioneer sub in it. Obviously there is some type of amplifier on it, but how is it wired? Are all the necessary wires already run to swap in a better amp/sub combo? (such as power, ground, remote and RCA's? Any info would be a big help.

Thanx
AJ

Also, I forgot, if all the wires are there what size power and ground?
If i where you i would just get new everything and not use the stock wiring especially if your upgrading to a higher amp/sub combo.

1. It could fry your stock wires
2. You'll get **** for sound quality

4 gauge for battery and ground and 8 gauge running from the distribution block to the amps (if applicable)

I installed my own system...pm me if you need anymore help
Old 02-13-2008, 02:37 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Stock amp is a 6 channel amp under the dash. No wires can really be reused for swaping the amp. Check out the faq thread i wrote for some more info on just adding a sub amp and sub.

Id recommend just unplugging the stock sub, using those wires for a LOC (explained in faq) and installing the system fresh from that. Battery is in the trunk so theres your pos and neg and since the loc will give you rcas in the back thats easy to. You just need to run a remote wire to an ignition fuse (also explained in the faq)
Old 02-17-2008, 07:18 PM

You said just unplug the stock sub. Does the stock amp have a built in crossover? Also you said to just run a remote wire. I just wanted to tell you that I saw a neat little gaget that works in conjuntion with the loc and the constant power wire that turns the amp on and off when the stereo is on. I think I am gonna give that a shot until I replace the factory head unit. Just out of curiosity are there any aftermarket head units that you can use the wheel mounted stereo controls with?

P.S. Thanx for the info.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 PM

No idea on the crossover network in the stock amp... 2 channels power the tweeters 2 channels power the front mids and 2 channels power BOTH the rear 6X9 and sub.

There are actually some LOCs with a remote wire built in, Some amps have smart turn on and dont "require" a remote (although there is always a terminal for it and the amp will bypass any smart setup if it gets singal on that terminal) and some amps have fake smart turn ons that work but they sorta sense pressure not so much a power signal so they can turn on the amps when say a jet flys by

Yes look into PAC-audio

Originally Posted by lockdown0u812
You said just unplug the stock sub. Does the stock amp have a built in crossover? Also you said to just run a remote wire. I just wanted to tell you that I saw a neat little gaget that works in conjuntion with the loc and the constant power wire that turns the amp on and off when the stereo is on. I think I am gonna give that a shot until I replace the factory head unit. Just out of curiosity are there any aftermarket head units that you can use the wheel mounted stereo controls with?

P.S. Thanx for the info.
You know how to do a fuse tap and how it all works right? Its extremely easy. If you get said gaget then more power to you but i didnt want you to get it because you think running a remote wire is difficult

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 02-17-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-18-2008, 07:16 AM

No the thing is I am going to get an after market head unit, and I will run the remote wire and the RCAs at the same time. I might need that spot in the fuse box later. I have the amp and subs out of my gf other car. So I just want to go ahead and hook them up. BTW you said that the two rear outputs power the 6x9s and the sub. If this is true then there is no built in crossover.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:15 PM

lol then run a set of rcas up front for when ever you get the aftermarket HU along with the remote wire. Just make sure to leave plenty of extra wire behind the stock HU that way when you upgrade all you have to do is cut your current remote wire and hook it up to the one for the amp and your acc wire is going to be the other side that goes to the fuse box.

Right thats how it would seem but a sub has to have a crossover. I know it has something too because the stock sub didnt play any vocals Im jsut not sure how pioneer did the setup (fyi the stock sub does utalize different wires coming out of the amp