Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

asking dealer to re=program a stock HU for my cobalt... possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asking dealer to re=program a stock HU for my cobalt... possible?

hows it goin guys, rite now im in WA wit the fam cuz my unkle is guna get his gall bladder removed.... i met up wit my parents ovr here, and since hes my only uncle, they wanted me to be here.

Anyways, im on the iphone right now, so im just browsing the board and thought id ask a question....

Anyone here ever had a stock HU reprogrammed by the dealer?? Just wondering cuz I sold my touchscreen Jensen and would like to have a stock HU put back in sometime soon... I bought it off some kid for $40 over in PHX, AZ and I would like to have the dealer install it in my cobalt but I know its guna need to be reprogrammed....

Anybody kow how much they would charge for it? And has anybody ever actually had this done?

I would really appreciate any replies... thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 04:16 AM

well im in the same boat as you, i have the regular CD headunit and i went to the junkyard and picked up a MP3 headunit. Went to the dealership and they asked for a receipt and i said the junkyard was cash and carry but they didnt believe and threatened to confiscate the headunit because they thought i broke into someones cobalt and stole it. On the other hand they told me to come back with a receipt and they be glad to install it in for $300; 2.5hrs of labor...........like wtf
Old 01-20-2008, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tung
well im in the same boat as you, i have the regular CD headunit and i went to the junkyard and picked up a MP3 headunit. Went to the dealership and they asked for a receipt and i said the junkyard was cash and carry but they didnt believe and threatened to confiscate the headunit because they thought i broke into someones cobalt and stole it. On the other hand they told me to come back with a receipt and they be glad to install it in for $300; 2.5hrs of labor...........like wtf
wow...
Old 01-20-2008, 10:53 AM

Wtf, thats ridiculous mans... thats some bs if u ask me. Dam, i guess i wont be able to go bak to stock for a while, **** that sucks.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:53 AM

Wtf, thats ridiculous mans... thats some bs if u ask me. Dam, i guess i wont be able to go bak to stock for a while, **** that sucks.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:23 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
got it done for 50 bucks...
Old 01-22-2008, 08:06 PM

I'd say if you were to swap radios yourself you'd be cutting off a lot of time. I'd imagine an hour or less charged to program it. They are kinda lengthy to program.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:08 PM

Not plug and play eh?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:24 PM

Got mine re-programmed.
Never asked for a receipt. I had already installed it in the car.

Just mentionned to the tech at the shop that I needed to have it programmed for my VIN.
Charged me about 28$ which was about 20 min work.

Took longer than 20 minutes but the guy had to find the right place in the tech2.

Hope this helps you guys.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by kingarthur
Got mine re-programmed.

Just mentionned to the tech at the shop that I needed to have it programmed for my VIN.

Took longer than 20 minutes but the guy had to find the right place in the tech2.

So when u drove up to the dealership, the stereo was already plugged and put in ur car? (this means it read LOCK when u drove there..)

And dam, only $28?? Hell yeah, that gives me hope... Im goin next tuesday to try and get it done... But in case they do ask me for a receipt, me and the dude i bought it from signed a formal contract stating that it isnt stolen and what not.... hope it helps establish a form of legitimacy.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:39 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
ya contract doesnt matter... dont pull it out first thing. in the end they are going to do it if they want to and if not they wont do it end of story. only pull it out at the very end because anyone can fab up a contract with someones sig on it and or call a random person to say ya its mine and they didnt steal it
Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by cobaltguy88
So when u drove up to the dealership, the stereo was already plugged and put in ur car? (this means it read LOCK when u drove there..)

And dam, only $28?? Hell yeah, that gives me hope... Im goin next tuesday to try and get it done... But in case they do ask me for a receipt, me and the dude i bought it from signed a formal contract stating that it isnt stolen and what not.... hope it helps establish a form of legitimacy.
I guess it depends on the dealer.
First dealer had a contract with a company(www.mass.ca) to do all their radio repair and reprogram. Wanted me to wait 1 week before they could do it.
Drove to the other dealer and they did it right away.

They can read the vin that is currently programmed in the radio. If your friend took it out of his car, ask him to bring the car and they can compare the radio vin to the car vin and see it is legit.

Last edited by kingarthur; 01-24-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 01-23-2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
ya contract doesnt matter... dont pull it out first thing. in the end they are going to do it if they want to and if not they wont do it end of story. only pull it out at the very end because anyone can fab up a contract with someones sig on it and or call a random person to say ya its mine and they didnt steal it

aite, thanks for this information.. but the paper we signed is legit either way, i was just hoping it would only HELP the situation at hand... but yeah, i will be taking it in next tuesday to get that done... im pretty busy with my classes right now to take it.

But yeah, do u think i should call first and ask first, or just drive up and ask to have it done?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:24 PM

i just got mine done but cuz of cels
Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 PM

hows it goin guys, rite now im in WA wit the fam cuz my unkle is guna get his gall bladder removed.... i met up wit my parents ovr here, and since hes my only uncle, they wanted me to be here.

Anyways, im on the iphone right now, so im just browsing the board and thought id ask a question....

Anyone here ever had a stock HU reprogrammed by the dealer?? Just wondering cuz I sold my touchscreen Jensen and would like to have a stock HU put back in sometime soon... I bought it off some kid for $40 over in PHX, AZ and I would like to have the dealer install it in my cobalt but I know its guna need to be reprogrammed....

Anybody kow how much they would charge for it? And has anybody ever actually had this done?

I would really appreciate any replies... thanks
where you at?? we have a guy on here that is in wa and works at a local dealer....
Old 01-23-2008, 03:28 PM

^^ i see... yeah, my ride hasnt thrown me a CEL yet... its about 5 months old though

Originally Posted by NWAE Cobalt
where you at?? we have a guy on here that is in wa and works at a local dealer....
I got home from that trip just the other day bro... I flew over there... im in PHX, AZ right now

Last edited by cobaltguy88; 01-23-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-23-2008, 03:29 PM

ahhhhh, gotcha haha.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:30 PM

ahhhhh, gotcha haha.
Yeah, so if there is anyone here in PHX that works at a dealer, hit me up i need my **** reprogrammed next week!! Im goin crazy driving around with no music... Lol
Old 01-23-2008, 03:35 PM

Yeah, so if there is anyone here in PHX that works at a dealer, hit me up i need my **** reprogrammed next week!! Im goin crazy driving around with no music... Lol
you tried just popping it in i take it...no go??
Old 01-23-2008, 03:36 PM

you tried just popping it in i take it...no go??
Yeah when i bought it i just plugged it right in and the screen read "LOCK"....it lights up and everything, it just wont play anything.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by kingarthur
Got mine re-programmed.

You got a hell of a deal. Sometimes techs will charge whatever they feel. It varies.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Slobalt
You got a hell of a deal. Sometimes techs will charge whatever they feel. It varies.

Im crossin my fingers that i get a cool tech to do mine
Old 01-25-2008, 03:18 PM

Plug it in and tell the dealership. Damn, dont you ******** want to make some money?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by wordsthatiwrote
Plug it in and tell the dealership. Damn, dont you ******** want to make some money?
its all about the money, im sure they will say yes... hopefully.