Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

ATTENTION ATTENTION::info!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PursuitGT
If you dont have a sunroof just use any features fuse that stays on
Yeah - the problem is, the sunroof is the only one that retains RAP
Old 06-06-2006, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about your windows? i know mine still work if the car is off...
Old 06-06-2006, 10:56 AM

What about your windows? i know mine still work if the car is off...
Good question - I'm not sure how that circuit is set up. I thought for some reason that circuit/fuse isn't hot in the same way the sunroof fuse is but I could be wrong. Mine have RAP too so maybe you can use that circuit. I think I wrote that on the assumption that if you don't have a sunroof you don't have power windows but that's not always true. However, the question still remains - how do you retain RAP if your car doesn't have a power window or sunroof fuse without buying the harness that interfaces with the computer?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:31 PM

Check because i know even cars without sunroofs still have the fuse for it in most cases.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:41 PM

Check because i know even cars without sunroofs still have the fuse for it in most cases.
Yeah - I've read that some(all?) people have a hot sunroof fuse even without the sunroof itself. The cobalts I've worked on had sunroofs.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:27 PM

Hmm...that's one worth looking at then. In my case, that's a hot fuse that goes absolutely nowhere. Might come in handy at some point.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:58 AM

Lightbulb I put the harness in last night!

I recieved the harness I was talking about and installed it last night.. (Metra Wiring Harness For a Chevy Cobalt Without Onstart and Without the Amp Sterio System. Part Number: XSVI-2103)

IT WORKS GREEAATTT... THE ONLLYY THING I LOST WERE THE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS.. Everything else is there and working. MY D.I.C, MY CHIMES, MY ACCY.... I CAN PULL THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION AND RADIO STILL WORKS!

Oh... I installed a Pioneer AVH5700DVD!

EASY INSTALL... I pluggs right into the car's harness and of course you have to connect the radio wires to it... Simple!..

Guys and Girls it somether to deff. look at or into! again the part number is...

XSVI-2103
Old 06-14-2006, 06:14 PM

well take it from me. I seriously tried both wiring harnesses. The expensive one that he is talking about did just mean pluggging in and having it work. neither harness has an acc wire. Just get the 15 dollar one. Like i said i tried both. and the 15 dollar one is teh one thats working.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:24 PM

dam Bro good FIND!!!!

also to all who think other wise the radio DOES talk to ECU

if your radio goes bad(mine did) or if you drive with out one your ECU will thro codes left and rite i got the "loss of communication" code about 564565676 times when mine went bad.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by CoolCobalt_NY
I recieved the harness I was talking about and installed it last night.. (Metra Wiring Harness For a Chevy Cobalt Without Onstart and Without the Amp Sterio System. Part Number: XSVI-2103)

IT WORKS GREEAATTT... THE ONLLYY THING I LOST WERE THE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS.. Everything else is there and working. MY D.I.C, MY CHIMES, MY ACCY.... I CAN PULL THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION AND RADIO STILL WORKS!

Oh... I installed a Pioneer AVH5700DVD!

EASY INSTALL... I pluggs right into the car's harness and of course you have to connect the radio wires to it... Simple!..

Guys and Girls it somether to deff. look at or into! again the part number is...

XSVI-2103
Did you still have to run a wire into the fuse box, or no? I'm guessing this harness provides the switched power wire by talking to the computer (so no wire running to the fuse box) is this correct?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by 06black
dam Bro good FIND!!!!

if your radio goes bad(mine did) or if you drive with out one your ECU will thro codes left and rite i got the "loss of communication" code about 564565676 times when mine went bad.
I agree it does communicate(but it is not a critical part of the car but if it malfunctions and sends the wrong signal it will issue a code like you said, same thing if you wire it wrong), However I do know for a fact you can replace it with the cheaper harness and a code will never be issued. But it does have to be hooked up to the right wires. Those who are having the problems arent hooking it up right or dont have the proper harness.

I'm thinking I was given the wrong harness but I just changed the pinouts to be correct and I never had a problem I also still had the RAP function on my radio. So I'm not sure what other people are doing with the 15$ harness and having problems.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:21 AM

My harness was a cheap 15 dollar one for impala, cobalts, ect.. and I never changed a thing and everything worked fine, even with my factory amp, I retained RAP because i use the sunroof fuse, even though I DONT have a sunroof.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:41 AM

They should all have the fuse wiring for the sunroof as the fuse box and body harnesses are all the same P/N for the 2 doors. It is cheaper to manafacure them all the same then to make different ones for each trim level. Example, sold a base 4 door without power locks and had service add the actuators and keyless, just a matter of installing them, all the wiring is there. (guy wanted a base with keyless entry and roll up windows?!) The only question is if the person that assembled it that day stuck the fuse in it.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:54 PM

Thumbs up Just "Plug and Play"

I did not have to wire ANYTHING into the fuse box... This harness has the accy. wire built into it..!

We just connected the wires from the harness to the wires behind the radio... Took the clip of the harness and clipped it into the Cars' harness and EVERYTHING IS WORKING JUST FINE... I just have a loos of steering wheel controls!... METRA IS working on that one also!..

The harness was about $52 (worth the money!) and yes.. most of us guys or you guys that JUST USED an other harness.. may or maynot have problems!..

Oh... my harnes {XSVI-2103} its realy hard to find.. The are being shipped out like crazy to people.. Mine had to come in from Kansass!!!!!!!!!.....

Again, this is for the Cobalt that DO NOT HAVE ONSTAR OR AN UPGRADED SYSTEM.. it only works with the basic system...

I think they have an other harness that works with the onstar system and amp radio!!!.......
Old 11-16-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by 06black
dam Bro good FIND!!!!

^^^^ will this happen when installing a aftermarket deck???

i just tried looking up wiring harness XSVI2103 from metra and they dont' list it anymore??? is the only difference is that harness turns the gmlan wire in to a 12volt source?

Last edited by hardtocope; 11-16-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:04 PM

bump
Old 11-16-2006, 10:29 PM

You don't need all that ****. All you need is the basic wiring harness. Everything will work fine with the $15 harness