Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Audio Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Question

Hey I'm going to be installing a Pioneer N3 in my 2006 Cobalt SS S/C... And I was wondering what is the correct wiring harness and will installing the harness make me lose my factory amp? I don't have Onstar but i do have XM(but i have an aftermarket XM system)
Old 01-07-2007, 07:52 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
im thinking you will be fine with the plain jane harness. But you will probably need to reinstall the xm (make sure the n3 is xm ready) and you should be good if you get all the pinouts interms of using the factory amp
Old 01-07-2007, 08:25 AM

No, you wont dude. You buy a standard 2000 up Cavalier harness.. its for your power, ground etc.. my best friend has the same setup in his 06' SS/SC..

now, you must bypass the stock amp.. meaning you cut the speaker wires at the harness above the drivers footwell, and you must now hardwire and run speaker wire to your deck and tap-in.. as for XM, you must re-install a new one if you have it stock; it wont work for some reason..

you will lose the factory amp, yes, to answer your question. in order to drive with your DVD on, you didn't hear this from me.. but ahum.. Pioneer has ONE pin on their harness that is empty.. you must tap this pin, and ground it.. have a nice day.. heehee..

unless there is a different way of doing it, please let me know..

they don't even make anything near a harness for the 07', so I got screwed and we had to do everything the hard way.. and now, I lost all my chimes, no more signal click, and the worst of it is when i use my signal, my aftermarket sub makes a heart-beat sound.. and when i use my windows, it makes little tiny boops.. its some frequency bullshit..

good luck with your install bro..

keep us posted..

and yes, excellent deck for sure.. hope you didn't pay over $1300US for it though..

I picked up my AVIC-D2 for $795 out the door at Car Tunes..
Old 01-07-2007, 08:48 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
lol i tried... i dont see why you cant use the factory amp thou doesnt make much sense... anyway why would you buy a cavi harness when you could get a cobalt harness? Its an 06 and they do make them. Sry you got fucked for buyign an 07 but honestly i dont see why a cavi harness would be nessicary
Old 01-07-2007, 08:56 AM

alright this is what you need to do.....Get the cobalt harness all the wires match up. the only thing you need to do is get switch power from the fuse panel. to make the factory amp work make sure you hook up amp turn on. N3 is a nice unit and if you want to bypass it on the unit there is a sticker under it take the sticker off and then you will see a switch. Flick the switch and now you can watch movies, type address all while driving. let me know if you have any question
Old 01-07-2007, 10:22 AM

n3? yea my bad, it is a switch.. some people thought you had to weld pins inside the deck last year on forums, lol..

as for the harness, its well, the same thing as a Cavy.. sorry to burst anyone's bubble..

the reason they changed them for 07' is because of the stock XM or some ****.. or, because they are asses..

actually, it was Panasonic's fault.. cause' that's the stock deck in the 07'.. all Chevy's, for that matter now..

as for the stock amp; why would you even want it? tbh, i don't even know if it'll work.. two; they are crap.. use the deck on its own, its much better.. the stock speakers can't handle that much; i don't care how much Pioneer is written on them.. they are crappy paper-cone speakers.. sound good; but can't handle too much..

just be safe and make sure you do everything right.. if you get in trouble, just post up..
Old 01-07-2007, 11:06 AM

thanks for the info... A. Does anyone have a part number for the wire harness? and B. I just wanted to make sure that the stock amp woud work so I still can use my stock sub in the trunk(don't see the need to buy a new sub for the my trunk, the stock on is good enough for me)
Old 01-07-2007, 02:39 PM

Go to Circuit City and ask for the 70-2103. They may have to order it in. This is the same harness i used on my Avic Z1. You just have to run a switch power wire to the fuse box. You will still be able to use the factory amps so yes the stock sub will still work. But it will take some time to tune the radio just right. The key is setting the EQ Im an installer so if you have any questions just ask.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wleee
they don't even make anything near a harness for the 07', so I got screwed and we had to do everything the hard way.. and now, I lost all my chimes, no more signal click, and the worst of it is when i use my signal, my aftermarket sub makes a heart-beat sound.. and when i use my windows, it makes little tiny boops.. its some frequency bullshit..
Strange that you lost the chimes and stuff. You don't when replacing the radio in an '05 or '06.

The clicking in the sub when using the signals and windows sounds like a ground loop issue. Or it could be a grounded RCA head if you used interconnects that have those metal plugs.....
Old 01-07-2007, 08:00 PM

thanks Bandit.. i'll be checking this later on tonight.. i was thinking a bad ground somewhere with the amp.. but never thought of a ground loop.. thanks.. hopefully its something that simple..
Old 01-07-2007, 09:33 PM

thanks Bandit.. i'll be checking this later on tonight.. i was thinking a bad ground somewhere with the amp.. but never thought of a ground loop.. thanks.. hopefully its something that simple..
If the amp isn't grounded good that would do it - where do you have it grounded? What about the head unit, where is that grounded?
Old 01-08-2007, 06:00 AM

the amp is grounded to the body in the trunk; not the battery; although the power is from the battery, normal place.. the head unit on the other hand is grounded through the harness..

aaah yes, okay.. that's why.. the ground is from the stock hu harness.. probably that's what is causing the thumping in the sub.. because the clicker is through the deck? i'm not too sure..

i spoke with my best friend that installed everything for me.. Studman (on this board) installed his equipment.. but his car, everything is functional because he has a harness; although i don't know if it makes any difference.. we'll be checking everything in the morning and re-doing the amp ground, the deck ground and installing a ground loop adapter and we'll go from there.. sorry to thread-jack btw..
thanks for the help guys..

i'll keep posted..

Moe
Old 01-08-2007, 08:21 AM

the amp is grounded to the body in the trunk; not the battery; although the power is from the battery, normal place.. the head unit on the other hand is grounded through the harness..

aaah yes, okay.. that's why.. the ground is from the stock hu harness.. probably that's what is causing the thumping in the sub.. because the clicker is through the deck? i'm not too sure..

i spoke with my best friend that installed everything for me.. Studman (on this board) installed his equipment.. but his car, everything is functional because he has a harness; although i don't know if it makes any difference.. we'll be checking everything in the morning and re-doing the amp ground, the deck ground and installing a ground loop adapter and we'll go from there.. sorry to thread-jack btw..
thanks for the help guys..

i'll keep posted..

Moe
A good ground for the amp is where the battery ground cable bolts in the trunk, you might try grounding there.

As far as the HU, the '05-'06 head units don't have the clicker or chimes through them, and I didn't think the '07's did either - are you sure you didn't maybe tap a wrong wire? In any case you might try grounding the head unit to a bolt back there, that's where mine is grounded.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:35 AM

i removed the stock amp completely, and the thumping is still there in the sub.. if i use anything electronic, push the brake pedal, signal, anything, it will thump.. it'll do heart-beat with the signal.. but only when the deck has power.. and yepp i have the ground for the hu to the rear steel beam..

i checked all the grounds, ran the ground to the battery for the amp, and still does it.. i think it may have to do with the deck itself.. the speakers don't do it.. just when it comes to the sub.. its something to do with the RCA's somewhere.. i'm going to try to run them on the left side of the car, maybe they are interfering with something.. its really driving me nuts.. sorry bout' the rant..