Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

audio system install in the works..

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
cool. Hope it all goes as planned be sure to post up pics and let me know how it does
Old 10-05-2008, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I had damn near a story written about the "adventure" i had today installing the system, but being the moron that I am sometimes i forgot to copy and paste it before I got the link for the pictures i just put up. heres the link https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/bro...3&userid=28519. Sorry i didnt put pics directly in this post. Lazy at the moment. feel free to look at them though.

Ill make it this time short and simple. I am not getting any output from the V-500 to the L702. I hit the reset button on both and still nothing. All power wires were hooked up correctly. I even hear a slight bit of sound from the radio coming through the speakers but the remote will not turn the volume up or down and i cant change the source. Yes i've installed systems in the past but nothing this complex. Any ideas will help. Also the Monitor is too big for the dash kit and almost barely fits in the dash itself height-wise. That will either be fixed by modding the dash kit or by having a friend make me a fiberglass insert for it. Heck i might even see if hell make the whole piece fiberglass. Well see what happens. But I must have messed up somewhere. Again any ideas will be greatly appreciated, because I'll go nuts if I dont have my radio.

Last edited by CobaltFun; 10-05-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:51 AM

esh i dont know. did the manuals offer any help?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
esh i dont know. did the manuals offer any help?
of course not.. lol they usually never do. im going to go outside right now actually and check some of my connections, without tearing half the car apart again. mustve done something wrong.

Edit: I rechecked all my wiring and everything seems fine. Went to the place i bought them from and talked to the owner. He said to bring the car down tomorrow and hell look over my wiring and see if i did something wrong. I also found out that a little module I have in my car, attached to the wiring harness for the other HU that was in there controls the chimes for my seat belt warning and something else. I didnt wire that up in because i wasnt sure what the hell it was. Guess i needed to do a little more research on the wiring in my car before i added this in. Oh well problem should be solved tomorrow. The I'll just have to figure out how I'm going to mount that screen in the dash.

Last edited by CobaltFun; 10-06-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: found out a few things and needed to add in this post.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:03 PM

that module should have the car speaker wires and all that in there
Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 AM

that module should have the car speaker wires and all that in there
it doesn't have all the speaker wires in it. it only has a few wires..If i had a decent camera, I could take a picture of it. I wonder if i can find one online. I found something similar to it, not exactly the same but pretty damn close to be honest. Mine doesnt have the "fancy" box this one has, more like a plastic sleeve that was heat-shrink wrapped around it. Btw i have onstar and the pioneer sound system, minus the stock HU. Mines not actually as clean looking as that one.

The above pic was the comparison i was making. The pic below is the actual component that is on my wiring harness. The component controls my door chime and seatbelt chime. May also do a few more things but im unsure.

Last edited by CobaltFun; 10-07-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:27 AM

just in case anyone i still paying attention to this thread I'm posting an update of the current situation.

I went to the dealer i got the audio parts from and had him take a look at my wiring and why the system wasnt working. I figured my wiring was correct and that the equipment wasnt getting a signal. As i figured the wiring was correct and the equipment wasnt getting the signal. Turns out that when the guy that had the car before me, traded the car in to the dealership i bought it from, ripped out the rca's he had in there and the amp turn on wire. I noticed crackling coming from the speakers, like a short in the wiring. Well i removed the rca's and capped off the amp turn on wire. During the time that it was shorting out, it caused the amp turn on wire to die completely. Theres no signal coming through that wire at all. I like being correct. . He said ill need to bring it back down tomorrow so he can run some new rca's and put a few relays in to get a signal to the v-500. He doesnt think there is anything else that is causing the problem and said it shouldnt take more then 3 hours to do the job. So all in all if this does work itll end up costing me about $120 more then what i projected on spending. Ill let you know what happens.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:39 AM

just tap an acc for the amp and by some rcas from walmart. **** using all kinds of relays and ****
Old 10-11-2008, 12:44 AM

I was thinking about this at work and thats what I had come up with as well. I was going to tell the guy at the place to do that. Im limited on where i can work on my car. Landlords, rents, whatever you want to call them dont really like some of the projects i have done and left unfinished , so thats why im having the guy at the place do it for me.. Plus i have the money to waste so no biggie there. Yea figured i didnt need the relays, wonder what the look on his face will be when i say not to use them, or go that route.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:50 AM

lol if u have extra money hook it up
Old 10-11-2008, 09:52 PM

lol if u have extra money hook it up
id hook the car up but i dont want to make the damn thing into a showcar. just something to make me happy. Plus still under that damn warranty, trying not to void that thing otherwise there would be more mods down to it already. and im not really into having tons of subs and amps and a extra battery and a capacitor all over the place, dont dig the whole fiberglass interior either. lol.. kinda picky and plain i guess. but dont worry after winter ill be doing coilovers and maybe new rims plus if i have as much money as im projecting having HID's, underglow, body kit (maybe not because of winters here), front and rear sway bars and a strut bar, short throw shifter, few other ones but im forgetting what they were.

Now back on topic. Today when i was at the shop the dealer told me (after checking my wiring) that I did wire everything correctly but the v-500 was shot. Not by me, but something along the lines of the factory/warehouse/shipping.. He is going to send the unit out Monday and he should have it back by the following and have it installed back in my car by tuesday. Although i do have to say that he did pretty up my wiring with putting that damn wire casing crap on.. that black hose with the cut down the middle. cant think of what to call it. And he modded the dash kit to fit the LZ-702. Looks not bad but needs a little more work. Its not sitting flush with the dash/center console trim. Ill post a pic tomorrow of what it looks like.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:56 PM

cobalt fun writing a novel in every post, sheez
Old 10-11-2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltmatt23
cobalt fun writing a novel in every post, sheez
lol.. I tend to do that a lot. I, 90% of the time pay attention to a lot of things that normally not many would. Plus it takes me a while to get out what I'm trying to explain/discuss so it normally comes out in a lot of words. Sorry for the essays though.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltFun
lol.. I tend to do that a lot. I, 90% of the time pay attention to a lot of things that normally not many would. Plus it takes me a while to get out what I'm trying to explain/discuss so it normally comes out in a lot of words. Sorry for the essays though.
ha ha, i was just messin with ya
Old 10-11-2008, 11:19 PM

ya wire loom does wonders to clean up an install. BTW i meant hook me up not your car.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:30 AM

ya wire loom does wonders to clean up an install. BTW i meant hook me up not your car.
lol... umm.. lemme think about that...

no.. lol
Old 10-12-2008, 05:28 AM

lol damn i was sure that would work... lol jk

at least i got you to ponder it so i was close.... lol man im stupid sometimes
Old 10-12-2008, 10:54 AM

lol damn i was sure that would work... lol jk

at least i got you to ponder it so i was close.... lol man im stupid sometimes
LOL. trust me If i had a ton of money i probablly would start like a idk pick numbers thread.. and whoever got closest would get money.. but.. yea dont have a ton, but i do have enough.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:12 PM

new pics.

was able to take a better shot of the screen today. heres the pics. The first one shows the space between the dash and the dashkit and screen. The dashkit needs to come out more then it is right now. The brackets need to be changed to make it work correctly.

And of course this one shows the screen in and the dash/center console. Yes I know the screen needs to be cleaned..