Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

bass help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bass help

i just installed my alpine 9886 and it sounds amazing, but its pushing bass to all the speakers. i have the 7 speaker pioneer system and i was hoping id be able to use the feature on the head unit to redirect all the bass to the sub, but it doesnt work.

what should i do?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I downloaded the manual for your deck and from what I can see your trying to have all the bass from the sub and only high end from your front soundstage. Back when you could ajust the bass and treble and only have it change whatever is coming out of the front and rear pre-outs, the sub worked on its own, Your deck will do the same thing only you have to have a seperate amp running the sub. Because your using the stock system there is no way to control the sub on its own as everything is working off the same amp.
Have no fear there is a solution, you can get inline high pass filters, there just caps, that cut the bass out, you just splice them inline (positive speaker wire) the same goes for the sub, they also make low pass filters, You can find them at The Source, or Radio Shack or whatever there called now
Old 01-14-2008, 12:12 AM

oh damn + imaginary reps for you! i was thinkin about adding an amplifier though and maybe another sub. would that help the problem too?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 AM

It wiil give you some more control and def. sound better. You will be able to control the sub without it effecting the front end. (Sub volume/freq) Since you already have the head unit then 75% of the hard work is done. It does make sense to put those 4volt pre-outs to good use (lol). Think about including a Cap. it makes a world of difference, one 10" or 12" with 400 watts, won't break the bank but will give you that umph your looking for
Old 01-14-2008, 05:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was all excited that someone needed bass guitar help...

damn...
Old 01-14-2008, 05:56 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
aftermarket amp and sub will do wonders... but upgrade the batt b4 adding a cap
Old 01-16-2008, 11:29 PM

can someone reccomend a decent basic amp that will be good for my headunit?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:06 AM

Turn your bass on the HU down all the way and turn your gain up to compensate...

What headunit do you have and are you looking for a amp for the front 4 or the sub(s)?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:09 AM

^^^ truth
Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by red07g5
Turn your bass on the HU down all the way and turn your gain up to compensate...

What headunit do you have and are you looking for a amp for the front 4 or the sub(s)?
i have the alpine 9886. umm honestly i know nothing about amps lol i just want whatever amp i can get that would allow me to channel the bass to the sub (i have the 7 speaker pioneer system) and maybe add another sub. i dont wanna crack the stock speakers
Old 01-17-2008, 10:34 PM

ok here is what I think to be a good setup for you

i don't remember some of your details besides your deck but this should be one size fits all

Buy a 4ch amp, doesn't have to be anything SPECIAL at this point, in my experience with crossovers properly in place you won't really ever use too much power from this anyway, treble/mid is much easier to make than bass(for this i don't often don't play the namebrand game too much)
Buy a sub amp, get something good as always I'm Hifonics all the way with this
Buy a sub and a box. I'd suggest a 10 or a 12(i prefer 12's). Make sure the box is ported unless you enjoy thump with no real follow-through

You can buy the following in a kit, of course probably with 1 set rca on the side:
2 Power Cables
2 Ground Cables
3 sets of rca's
1 main remote wire, and enough slack to split that remote between two amps.

Now:

Connect tweeters to door speaks, I don't have the 7 speaker setup so i dunno if there is a passive crossover in place or not. if not then i'd get an active crossover(although the tweeter shouldn't produce mid to low frequencies due to its size, a active crossover will allow you to really dial in what you want, and as i do not have the 7 speaker setup i dunno if they did this on the pioneer amp or in-line via a passive crossover)

Cut the high power+/- from outputs of stock amp, MARK your front speaker output wires as to which side and polarity(+/-)

Run 2 sets of wires from these marked wires all the way to the trunk, and remark them there, while your at it run a remote wire(to be used be any amp's back there and use the wiper fuse, read more threads to know why) and your rca's(3 sets total according to your deck specifications).

Disconnect your 6x9's in the trunk and mark the positives and negatives

Install both the amps with the stuff listed above

as your installing the amp's it should be pretty obvious why i had you run the speaker wire for the front back etc.

Now, adjust your crossovers on the amps appropriately. If your deck can do the crossovers for front, rear, and sub on it go ahead. sub set on low-pass around 105hz, speakers set on hp around 105hz. Play around till it sounds right. Stock speakers won't make very good bass so it's key to do this right. if you did it from the deck, manually match the amp's.

After all this is done......you should be VERY happy with your entry/mid-low level system which will probably sound better than most people that spend too much.

From this baseline, you can start swapping speakers etc etc etc out and only be taking major steps forward with minor work.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by warrenb213; 01-17-2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by warrenb213
ok here is what I think to be a good setup for you

i don't remember some of your details besides your deck but this should be one size fits all

Buy a 4ch amp, doesn't have to be anything SPECIAL at this point, in my experience with crossovers properly in place you won't really ever use too much power from this anyway, treble/mid is much easier to make than bass(for this i don't often don't play the namebrand game too much)
Buy a sub amp, get something good as always I'm Hifonics all the way with this
Buy a sub and a box. I'd suggest a 10 or a 12(i prefer 12's). Make sure the box is ported unless you enjoy thump with no real follow-through

You can buy the following in a kit, of course probably with 1 set rca on the side:
2 Power Cables
2 Ground Cables
3 sets of rca's
1 main remote wire, and enough slack to split that remote between two amps.

Now:

Connect tweeters to door speaks

Cut the high power+/- from outputs of stock amp, MARK your front speaker output wires as to which side and polarity(+/-)

Run 2 sets of wires from these marked wires all the way to the trunk, and remark them there, while your at it run a remote wire(to be used be any amp's back there and use the wiper fuse, read more threads to know why) and your rca's(3 sets total according to your deck specifications).

Disconnect your 6x9's in the trunk and mark the positives and negatives

Install both the amps with the stuff listed above

as your installing the amp's it should be pretty obvious why i had you run the speaker wire for the front back etc.

Now, adjust your crossovers on the amps appropriately. sub set on low-pass around 105hz, speakers set on hp around 105hz. If your deck can do the crossovers for front, rear, and sub on it go ahead. Play around till it sounds right. Stock speakers won't make very good bass so it's key to do this right.

After all this is done......you should be VERY happy with your entry/mid-low level system which will probably sound better than most people that spend too much.

From this baseline, you can start swapping speakers etc etc etc out and only be taking major steps forward with minor work.

Hope this helps.
could i still use the stock sub with that kind of set up?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:47 PM

if u got a sub amp which matched the rating of the stock sub.

also re-read it as i edited it.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:06 PM

it's pretty cool cause i just got the same head unit like a week ago but i couldn't install it because my car's in the body shop lol. im getting the car back tomorrow so i'm excited to install it
Old 01-18-2008, 03:16 AM

you dont really want to get an amp for the stock sub.... even 100 rms may blow the damn thing (depends on how u treat it) its best to replace it but if your going to get a new amp anyway then get a bigger one for whatever aftermarket sub your interested that way when ur stock blows you can have enough power. No point in getting the smallest amp possible for the stock sub and then blowing it and you cant use your amp for much of anything any more.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by steddy2112
I was all excited that someone needed bass guitar help...

damn...
you should know better being on a car site and all hahah its ok though your time will come