Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Bass Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bass Question

Alright so I finally got my sound system finished. Now I've got Infinity speakers in the doors and the shelf which are powered by and Infinity 468W four channel amp. I let Best Buy install that one, and the brilliant guy bolted it to both of the back seats, and ran the power and RCA cables too close together, so I get a great whine when I hit the gas. I went back and made them put the amp on ONE seat, but he told me it'd take a while to re-run the wires so if it gets to the point that it bothers me a lot, they'll do it for free. I also have two 10" JBL subs in the back powered by a separate Alpine amp. It hits hard. My problem is the other day I got a flat so I took the subs out to get the spare. When I drove it off to Firestone, it was very noticeable that there is pretty much no bass coming out of the four speakers. given that they each have 75 watts going to them I have no idea why that is. Is it because my head unit is stock still? I really don't want to buy a new one, but I've tried everything I can think of.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have type R's in the front and infiniti 6x9's and they dont have ANY bass at all...some speakers just dont have any

i have a aftermarket HU btw
Old 03-30-2009, 04:47 PM

it could be that you can't control the freq. and levels of your speakers with the stock head unit like you can with aftermarket. or the guy that installed your amp didn't adjust the settings correctly. i'm going to go ahead and say its the headunit. the guy would really have been a ******* if he didn't abjust the amp for the highs and mids. but go to your amp and mess around with the settings until you get the sound you like you got to learn how to adjust it sometime
Old 03-30-2009, 05:14 PM

yeah I've been back at the amp. There's even a bass boost knob, and it accomplishes pretty much nothing. the highs and mids are there for sure, but from what i've heard and read the 6x9s should be producing a lot more bass than is coming out. Could it be because I have 2 amps and 2 LOCs?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 PM

Your amp for the mains is likely high passed, ie: it is filtering out the really low bass, < 80hz typically.

This is really a good thing, less bass through the mains = better sound, more power available for the mids / tweets.

Don't know your specific amps but there is probably a switch to select between high pass / low pass / all pass, possibly another switch or knob to select the cutoff frequency, you could play with those if you wanted to experiment but I would just let the subs handle the bump and the rest handle....the rest

Just checked the web, you do have a variable crossover.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:37 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
ya door speakers arent meant to play bass
Old 03-31-2009, 01:08 AM

i don't need the speakers to provide the bump instead of the subs, i just want there to be a decent amount of bass when the subs have to come out in situations like a flat tire, or driving to Chicago with 4 people's luggage in the trunk. I'll check the amp to see about the crossover thanks. I'll have some time to experiment tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:17 AM

as long as your aware... The lower the crossover setting the higher chance of blowing the door speakers. There's a chance he might have cranked it too high but you don't want to turn it off and blow the door speakers
Old 03-31-2009, 06:17 PM

the filters are set to full on both the front and rear speakers. the crossover is set at about 240Hz judging by what I can see, which is close to as high as it'll go. it's about halfway in between 80 and 320 and the lowest the knob goes is 32Hz. What would you recommend?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 PM

If the switch is set on full then the crossover should not have any effect.....the speakers should be getting a full range signal.

Maybe the stock head unit is filtering somehow? Can't see why unless the stock unit has a dedicated sub output? Or GM knew the speakers they put in were so cheap they couldn't take anything under 200hz

Might have to give the bass level on the head unit a nudge up to make up for the lack of bass when you need to run subless. Assuming you have not already done so that is.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 PM

Where do you live at in texas? If its near me (north dallas) take it to my best buy i'll fix that **** for ya.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:02 PM

It's not too far from north dallas actually. I go to school in arlington.

and the speakers that gm put in it were crap. when i took them out, they were made out of what looked like cardboard. I was amazed it sounded as alright as it did before i replaced them.

Last edited by Homestar1217; 03-31-2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2009, 03:10 AM

the stock deck has a horrific EQ in it but im thinking its probably a settings issue. I would let stinky take a look
Old 04-05-2009, 01:41 AM

I got it! I was trying to get a lot of bass out of the rear speakers, but some research told me that even though 6x9's will provide bass, it gets distorted when you turn it up, but the 6.5" speakers give nice even bass. It's nothing I'd write home about, but it'll keep me content when the need arises to run subless. For now though, I just flipped the HPF on because i noticed that when I really cranked it the sound got distorted because too much bass was trying to come out of the speakers instead of the subs, so that fixed my problem. I am going to have my best buy re-run the amp wires though, thanks for the offer Stinky
Old 04-05-2009, 05:36 AM

I was reading your post and it sounded like (to me anyway) that your saying your power wire is coming from the front of the car.
If so remind the guys at Best Buy (No Offense Stinky) that the battery is in the trunk. That its only a jumper post up front.
Although its true that running the wires close together is bad and could produce whine, it sounds like you have a bigger problem, tell them to look for a kink or crimp in the RCA'a or to take a second look at your amps ground. Very seldom does just the wires being too close together give the horrific whine your talking about, theres usually some other contributing factor
Old 04-05-2009, 12:53 PM

Homestar and Spun dont worry I know a TON of installers that work at best buy are retards. I have had to fix some **** that should have never been done.

It only takes one bad installer to ruin a company name. Me and my coworker have had to fight hard to give our store a good reputation
Old 04-05-2009, 04:05 PM

lol if bby hired me when i first applied i probably would have been in the retarded category... i herd the training there is really non existent

Originally Posted by Spun
I was reading your post and it sounded like (to me anyway) that your saying your power wire is coming from the front of the car.
If so remind the guys at Best Buy (No Offense Stinky) that the battery is in the trunk. That its only a jumper post up front.
Although its true that running the wires close together is bad and could produce whine, it sounds like you have a bigger problem, tell them to look for a kink or crimp in the RCA'a or to take a second look at your amps ground. Very seldom does just the wires being too close together give the horrific whine your talking about, theres usually some other contributing factor
x2 especially on subs. door speakers is a whole different story but subs shouldn't have an issue even if you wrap the rcas around the power wire

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 04-05-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 PM

Training? Wait people still do that?! lol

Yea there isnt really any. We do have to be MECP but thats easy. You just kinda learn as you go, it helps when the other installer knows what they are doing so you get trianed by them.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:27 AM

yeah i know the battery's in the trunk. but both cables are headed up front. the last time i was there he told me that that's where the whine was coming from. and since it wasn't there when i only had the subs amped i figured he was right. he heard the whine though. i wasn't gonna leave until he knew that something was still wrong. which is when he finally said he'd had enough of the kid who actually installed it, and that if i got some spare time to just bring it up there and he would re-run everything himself. it is starting to get annoying that the gains have to be so low, so i'll probably let him take care of it this week sometime.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:02 AM

i dont know but your system must sound siiiickkkk!!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:36 AM

^^^ sick as in bad cuz it isnt working right, or sick as in good?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:29 PM

hahaha. It does sound really good when it's working right.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Homestar1217
Alright so I finally got my sound system finished. Now I've got Infinity speakers in the doors and the shelf which are powered by and Infinity 468W four channel amp. I let Best Buy install that one, and the brilliant guy bolted it to both of the back seats, and ran the power and RCA cables too close together, so I get a great whine when I hit the gas. I went back and made them put the amp on ONE seat, but he told me it'd take a while to re-run the wires so if it gets to the point that it bothers me a lot, they'll do it for free. I also have two 10" JBL subs in the back powered by a separate Alpine amp. It hits hard. My problem is the other day I got a flat so I took the subs out to get the spare. When I drove it off to Firestone, it was very noticeable that there is pretty much no bass coming out of the four speakers. given that they each have 75 watts going to them I have no idea why that is. Is it because my head unit is stock still? I really don't want to buy a new one, but I've tried everything I can think of.
all the bass should be going to your subwoofers regardless. if you have stock stereo chances are there is no cross over on it. in that case i would recomend putting bass blockers on your speakers that way it all goes to your subs. because if you dont when you crank it you could get distortion in the speakers and you wont notice over all the base. it happened to my buddy and it ended up blowing one of his speakers. if you have an aftermarket stereo dont worry about it because they generaly all come with a crossover now.