Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

basslink installed and cell phone mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
basslink installed and cell phone mod

got bored during my 4 day vacation so i upped the sounds a little and got rid of that damned cell phone charger. enjoy the pics.

i ran the amp remote line under the backseat through the carpet and into the center console.

this mod is my most favorite i hated that damned bulky adapter with that ridicules cord.

had to lose the led light......oh well...

the dreaded remote line hookup took two days. was gonna splice wires but found such an easier approach.

did the sub, all the while keeping the stock radio. this basslink model comes with a sub control thats installed in my wifes van. i gotta find the time to get it out and install it in my car. shes running to kicker comp v 10s, likes a lotta bass. i plan on adding a second sub and replacing the stock speakers hence the pre-installed fuse block.

so how does it look?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:10 PM

very nice, Damn Carpet is a pain around the sub though.....Yours looks nice, did you cut the piece completely off under the sub and mount it down onto it? I put the amp under the seat (even with the vent) cause it will get cold air in the summer and warm air in the winter but the warm air won't make a big diff in the wniter...I wouldn't mount the amp upside down in the trunk, as there is ussually not a heatsink on the bottom of it and it will more than likely overheat (maybe a good fan will save it though) Heat rises...
Old 04-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Ern

Does anyone else make any preamped subs like this? We have the pioneer and now I see Infinity has the Basslink. Any others?
Old 04-19-2006, 02:30 PM

infinity makes 2 different ones, kenwood has one, and there are a bunch of those "looks like Nitrus" things too....Do a search on Google for Self powered Sub.....
Old 04-19-2006, 03:49 PM

i did cut off the section of carpet and mat that the sub sits on. i thought it would look a 1000x better keeping it level when the spare cover is down. i was actually gonna build a base to set the amp on and then mount it in. i had thought of the air issue and could easily custom mount a coupla pc cooling fans in to cool the amp off.

btw thanks for the compliment. does your pioneer hit as hard as the basslink?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:20 PM

I like the g/f's stereo better than my Pioneer, I think the Basslink hits much better. I know she has a lot more power than I do though, and a much better head unit to run it all though...

My Stock Pioneer 7 speaker setup is really good for a Factory system, but with all the windows open (and any exhaust or intake mods) I won't be able to hear the radio at cruising speeds on the highway...right now as stock, @ 85 miles an hour with the windows and sunroof open, it's kindof hard to hear....I happen to like my music loud and clear....
Old 04-19-2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by SS SChgd
....I happen to like my music loud and clear....

i can relate to that. this is the reason why i have decided to take the plunge and do my sound system. i hate having to take my wifes van just to enjoy music as i ride.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:11 PM

I almost miss my cavalier....I'm thinking about trading this weekend and putting the Cobalt in the garage and takeing the cav out for a week or so...I miss real bass and clear highs...

I used PC type fans in the cav and they worked well, but I wanted to take up less space so I got the squirel cage type fans and saved some height, there a bit more money, but would make for a much smaller mounting height....I'm thinking your going to build a little box type thing and mount it to the underside of the rear deck? Would probably work well. and shouldn't take up to much space...

would be interested in pics of the van and the stereo...
Old 04-19-2006, 08:33 PM

how does the basslink sound? full honest opinion on it would be great... we sell them, and i havent heard one yet...

you get the one with the 200watt classD amp? 10" sub and passive radiator?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:40 AM

yeah, thats the one i got. its absolutely great i have no complaints at all. i enjoyed it in my wifes van and it sounds 100x better in my car.

i am having an issue with the sub cutting out. happens when i got 'er cranked up and driving. i'm almost sure this is a sign of needing more battery power but i could be wrong. it cuts in and out at 3/4 gain but works fine at 1/2 gain. any suggestions you have to help would be great. this is my first time doing such an install and know that this is user or installers error.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:36 PM

hmm, I lost a post....anyway, what size wire are you running for power and ground, did you hook up to the high pass inputs? Normally I don't run my gain over 3/4 (at the most) it should be set to the input though. I would work on adjusting the rest of the settings on the Basslink besides the gain....Get the gain set so it doesn't distort or shut off at the loudest point youll have it...
Old 04-20-2006, 05:19 PM

My show truck has a Stinger 150amp alt and distro, two Optima Yellow Tops, a Sun Hyper Voltage system, Lightning Caps for the amps, and a Sun Hyper Ground system. But all of that combined is more than you need.

You might want to consider a .25 or .5 (though .25 should be more than enough) Cap on the amp power line. That would make sure it got more power. Other things you could do would be to get your alternator changed or rewound for higher output, get an Optima "yellow top" battery, a Sun Hyper Voltage system, or a Sun Hyper Ground system.

The Cap would give your amp a very fast recharge/discharge battery, but only helps the amp out.
A bigger or rewound alternator would give your whole system more power to work with. Buying one would require a custom most likely.
The Optima battery would give you a whole lot more reserve juice, providing lots of cranking amps amps and the ability to deep cycle.
The Hyper Voltage system is basicly a Cap for your whole car instead of just your amp, so it evens out your overall system power and helps reduce flux.
The Hyper Ground system basicly improves the grounding throughout your vehicle, meaning that there is less resistance in the electrical system. So you loose less amps, your voltages even out, and the car actually runs smoother.

Oh yea, almost forgot that you can put a smaller pully on your alternator so it spins up sooner, but if you push the car hard alot I wouldn't do that with the stock alt.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:02 PM

I don't think you need to go through all that up above, as I'm running the Basslink and a amp in the 2.2 cobalt and have no issues... I think you either have a loose wire or need to go back and check wire sizes....Also might want to look at a Line level converter instead of using the high pass inputs...
Old 04-21-2006, 03:13 AM

its gotta be the wire size i am running 8 and it should be 4. at least its 4 in the wifes van.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:09 PM

I would say 6 at the least, I think thats what I ran...
Old 04-21-2006, 06:25 PM

Run it through with 4's and make sure that you get it to a good grounding point.

And I wasn't suggesting you add all that stuff in there, but just a list of different options if you need more power or cleaner power.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:03 PM

thanks to all. turns out the subs fired and i am getting it replaced/repaired under warrenty. they dont sell these anymore at circuit city so if its beyond repair i get something equivelent. works for me.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:52 PM

how do you fry a self powered sub? Hmm...interesting, better take care to watch the Wifes music playing prefrences...be careful with those settings..
Old 04-22-2006, 09:35 AM

not sure but this aint the first one to go....lol. thats why i'm looking forward to a new replacement.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:08 AM

Just a thought, but maybe if this isn't the first one you fry, maybe you should think of having a pro install it?

Just a thought....
Old 04-23-2006, 05:23 PM

pro did install the first one. at least they thought they were pros. but anyway its getting taken care of now. i hadnt used the thing for like 4 months before i put it in my cobalt. i think one of the kids may have fudged with it. i could care less either way warranties kick ass.